Engine knock after head install? scenerio with/in - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-15-2002, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Engine knock after head install? scenerio with/in

I have to put Head studs in my 96gt and the mechanic informed me that ford doesn't recommend taking the heads off. THis is due to the fact that when the heads are put back on, the engine will knock. I am not having a ford dealership do the work, but my mechanic has a ford heavy mechanic friend doing the timing chains. Has anyone who has taken off the heads for gaskets or for the head swap experience this? Fords procedure is to replace the motor and use your motor as the core. I Think this is FUBAR but can anyone enlighten me on this. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-15-2002, 04:12 PM

The engine will knock if the heads/timing chains are put back on incorrectly. Maybe 100 guys have done a headswap on this forum. That is just rediculous.

post #3 of 13 Old 04-15-2002, 04:26 PM

No such problem. Grease Monkeys, HA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-15-2002, 09:06 PM

The only knock I hear outta mine is the passengers head slamming the headrest
post #5 of 13 Old 04-15-2002, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desnudo01
The only knock I hear outta mine is the passengers head slamming the headrest
Good one.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-16-2002, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

See thats what Thought, and I felt that it was BS as well. But I am baffled as to why the mechanic would have said that?
post #7 of 13 Old 04-16-2002, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mode101*96gt
See thats what Thought, and I felt that it was BS as well. But I am baffled as to why the mechanic would have said that?
Perhaps because he doesn't want to admit it, but he has no confidence that he can do the work without screwing something up?
post #8 of 13 Old 04-16-2002, 11:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
either the mechanic is an idiot or he saw you coming!

11 KB GT at 15psi
11 CTSV
12 F350
11 Z71
post #9 of 13 Old 04-16-2002, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

First of all I have known this guy for many years and his credentials are impeckable, second this is the first time i have had anyone do anything to my car. I have done all the mods in myself and it sucks i cant do this one but i dont have a garage at the present time. I only learned of this cause of a ford mechanic. That is why i am asking if people have had this problem or not. Not because my mechanic is an idiot or myself for that matter.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-16-2002, 03:28 PM

Never meant to imply anyone was an idiot. Don't know of his qualifications, but many old-time wrenches aren't comfortable with digging into a modular, and I don't blame them. In any event, I experienced no knock problems after the headswap. Now pinging, that's a different story. You'll need to use premium fuel, since the unmodified '99+ heads increase the compression ratio, but that can be adjusted by modifying/eliminating the swirl dams in the new heads.

post #11 of 13 Old 04-16-2002, 03:52 PM

Bierbelly, I think you hit the nail on the head. Many people confuse the terms "knock" and "ping".

So, yes, it's possible you will get a "ping" that can be resolved by running higher octane, but the h/s project should never cause a "knock" unless something was installed wrong.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-16-2002, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrvax
Bierbelly, I think you hit the nail on the head. Many people confuse the terms "knock" and "ping".

I'm always right. And I never lie. Vote for me.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-18-2002, 11:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
He isn't swapping out his heads for 99' heads... the heads have been lifted off of the block under full boost (above what full boost was supposed to be) and he is replacing the head gaskets, so there is no issue with ping from higher compression since the same heads are going right back on. Post took kind of a wrong turn there... same exact heads are going back on the car un-touched, just to set it back streight and eliminate confusion...

---Don---
WA2FAST
Modified Mustangs Magazine
January 2007 Feature Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement