Driving Impressions of 2003 Cobra - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-15-2002, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thumbs up Driving Impressions of 2003 Cobra

First, I would like to thank SVTOA (Special Vechicle Team Owners Association) for providing the opportunity to experience the brand new 2003 Cobra. We were one the first non-Ford employees that got to drive the new Cobra. The Chapter Directors and Activities Directors from SVTOA were invited out to Scottsdale, AZ for four days of classroom instruction and driving the latest vechicles in the SVT stable.

My first experiece with the 2003 Cobra was Saturday at the Bondurant Driving school. Not only did we drive the Cobra on the road course for 30 minutes but we got to compare it against the C5 Corvette (not a Z06). The new Cobra is extremely refined and did I mention torque. This car was absolutely awesome in the corners and straight away. It pulls and pulls and pulls. I thought the Corvette handled a little better but the Cobra is definetely stronger motor wise.

We also got to drive a Lightning and the new SVT Focus. I have to say that of all the vechicles I drove this weekend, the Lightning impressed me the most. This truck is a Gorilla. It handled extremely well on the road course and smoked the tires effortlessly.

I was also impressed with the SVT Focus. We compared it against the Acura RSX and it out performed it in every category. If you have an SVT vechicle and you haven't joined your local SVTOA chapter yet, what are you waiting on? These people are first class in every way. If anyone from the Memphis area is interested in joining, please send me an e-mail at [email protected].

Thanks,

Joe Beegle

2003 Black Cobra Coupe
Kenne Bell Enhanced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-15-2002, 10:44 AM

Talking

Damn Joe that's awesome! Do you think that a new Cobra might be in your future? Or perhaps a lightning?
It's been a while since I've heard from you... send me an email when you get the chance!

James Mosley
[email protected]

post #3 of 21 Old 04-15-2002, 10:55 AM

So Joe, you weren't the idiot that crashed the white cobra that was out there, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-15-2002, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

tcobra98, no it wasn't me. I didn't see a white 2003 Cobra the whole weekend. There were 2 Yellow, 2 Sonic Blue, and 1 Black convertible. We didn't hear about anyone crashing one of the new Cobra's.

However, while we were running the C5 Corvette against the Cobra, one of the Corvettes overheated and spilled fluid in the pit area.

Also, two of the Acura RSX's had mechanical problems where the SVT Focus was flawless.

2003 Black Cobra Coupe
Kenne Bell Enhanced
post #5 of 21 Old 04-15-2002, 11:49 AM

I knew you guys didn't see a white one there; I just want to see if anyone mentioned it. A svt dealer crashed the damn car when they were driving it around in AZ(couple weeks prior to your event). That was a sad, sad day.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-15-2002, 11:56 AM

Car 6 Fan, that's too damn awesome!! I can't wait until the summer fun is full fledge around here. I'll see alot of the Chevy boys going to get the new Ford products this year. I know of two camaro lovers now that are considering the new Stang!!

'06 GT
Mostly Stock
post #7 of 21 Old 04-15-2002, 01:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Damn Joe, long time dude. How you been? Bet you had a blast floggin' those rides.

now voters are starting to wake up and hope there is no change
post #8 of 21 Old 04-15-2002, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Mike, it was a blast getting to drive the 2003 Cobra. Nice times in your signature. Shoot me an e-mail so I can get you signed up in the SVTOA - Memphis Chapter. This chapter will not be limited to SVT vechiles so if you know anyone else who is interested, have them e-mail me.

Joe

2003 Black Cobra Coupe
Kenne Bell Enhanced
post #9 of 21 Old 04-15-2002, 06:19 PM

Hi Joe
I have a quick question for you on your driving impression. I was looking to get a cobra vert or a vert Roush S3 somtime this summer (hopefully, my dealer said he could get one for me) and was wondering if you got to test drive a vert. I currently have a vert vette and love the way it handles and was wondering if the vert cobra can handle almost as well. (My buddies got a Saleen and I want to be able to hang with him in the twisties). Thanks for your help.

-Jeff
post #10 of 21 Old 04-16-2002, 01:05 AM

Wow, you're a lucky guy! Maybe posts like this will quiet all the Vette lovers, who insist any comparison between a Vette and a Cobra is blashpemy. It sounds like the Cobra is a sweet machine. Were there any side by side runs between the two down the straights?

post #11 of 21 Old 04-16-2002, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LX Pony
Were there any side by side runs between the two down the straights?
Probably not, but I would bet that there were plenty with the vette staring at the Cobra's taillights!

96 Ford Cobra, PHP Stage 2 intake, All the bolt-on's, SVO Ceramic Headers, Bassani Off-Road X-pipe, Borla XR-1's, and The New 4.56's are in!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95 ZX9R Ninja 136RWHP/ 70RWTQ [email protected]
06 2WD TrailBlazer SS 6.0L LS2 395HP Stock
post #12 of 21 Old 04-16-2002, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I did not get to drive the one black Convertible there. Bondurant only had the Cobra coupes available for flogging. We didn't get to run them side by side. They had a black Crown Vic Police Intercepter with a Cobra motor with a 2003 Cobra behind it then a Vette then another Cobra. I have no doubts that the Cobra would show the Vette tail lights on the drag strip.

I still can't believe that I want a Lightning more than the new Cobra. I have never considered buying a Lightning but I can't get that truck off my mind.

2003 Black Cobra Coupe
Kenne Bell Enhanced
post #13 of 21 Old 04-16-2002, 08:40 PM

Lightnings are like that. They kinda sneak up and attach themselves to your soul.

I remember when I test drove my first Lightning (the '94 that I ended up buying). They had always fascinated me, but until I drove that truck....... I didn't know the real story. There is just something about flinging 4700lbs of brick around corners like a Vette that makes you giddy. The whole time you are flogging this truck, you have to keep reminding yourself "this is a truck!"

The '01 is just more of the same. We have almost 24,000 miles on her....... and we still grin every time we drive her. This was my husbands first new vehicle. I sure am glad that the truck has been everything he was hoping it would be..... and more. Great buying experience, and great ownership experience.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-16-2002, 08:53 PM

I know how you Lightning lovers feel. I like driving them more than any stock Cobra. They handle better, ride better, and they feel faster. I installed a 4v version of the lightning engine in an 01lightning and I can't wait to drive it. Should have 500rwhp when we are done.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-16-2002, 09:07 PM

Does a 01 Lighting really corner better then a 01 Cobra?
Will it handle a 130, 140 or more on the road?

I'm not flaming them, I just have never driven one. And even though I know they are fast in a straight line, do they really handle better?

thanks
post #16 of 21 Old 04-16-2002, 09:59 PM

I have buried the needle on a lightning and felt comfortable.I have done 140 in a Cobra with IRS and felt very uncomfortable.I think however that a Cobra will definitely outperform a Lightning in a proper handling test. It's just the way the Lightning makes me feel behind the wheel.
post #17 of 21 Old 04-16-2002, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by scottbeer
I installed a 4v version of the lightning engine in an 01lightning and I can't wait to drive it. Should have 500rwhp when we are done.
I take it you work for SHM?

96 Ford Cobra, PHP Stage 2 intake, All the bolt-on's, SVO Ceramic Headers, Bassani Off-Road X-pipe, Borla XR-1's, and The New 4.56's are in!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95 ZX9R Ninja 136RWHP/ 70RWTQ [email protected]
06 2WD TrailBlazer SS 6.0L LS2 395HP Stock
post #18 of 21 Old 04-17-2002, 01:32 AM

If I read correctly, the 2003 Cobra's traction control was wired in the "on position" and couldn't be "disabled". If this is so, what kind of performance "hit" would this have on the 2003 Cobra in the environment you got to test it in? Anyone have an opinion?

If I am mistaken, please feel free to correct.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-17-2002, 08:24 AM

Traction control doesn't kick in on the cobra unless the car starts to slide sideways. THEREFORE, knowing how mustangs behave, you know that anytime you spin the wheels the rear will slide to either side causing acceleration to be compromised. If I'm wrong please tell me.

'06 GT
Mostly Stock
post #20 of 21 Old 04-17-2002, 06:34 PM

Yep I work at SHM. No the car doesn't have to slide sideways for the trac control to kick in. You can disable the trac control quite easily if you want to. Just disconnect the pink/lightblue and tan/orange wires at the H.C.U. It doesn't affect antilock braking, the only down side is that you have to hook them back up for antilock diagnostics.
post #21 of 21 Old 04-17-2002, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the responses.I'll rephrase the question. I read the write-up at SVTOA's website, and they said the traction control was wired in the "on" position, so it couldn't be disabled easily. I guess they didn't get to drive them with the T/C disabled, and that's basically what I'm looking for. What did it drive like with the T/C DISABLED-vs-enabled. Do you think there would be a BIG difference in performance on the road course or would the difference be negligible? In other words, if the T/C was disabled would it be more of a beast or it wouldn't make any difference.

My '97 Cobra doesn't have T/C so I don't know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement