automatic stangs with gears please look - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-14-2002, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
automatic stangs with gears please look

I got my gears installed Thursday. Took a trip this weekend and got to actually see how the car responded to them. The car was shifting early at part throttle. Another problem I encountered was when I punched it at WOT the car would drop out of 2nd and look for 1st but wouldn't engage it. My last beef is with the shift kit I think. When I lock out O/D the car still tries to go into O/D anyway. I know a chip will fix this but if I put the 23 tooth drive gear in will that make a quick fix until I can get a JMS chip? A guy that does lots of gear installs told me that the computer shifts based on hte vehicle speed sensor (VSS). So if I put the 23 tooth gear in that will make the car think its going the correct speed and my shift points might be better right? Other than that I love the gears. At first I thought I should have gotten 4.10 but when I got on the interstate I was reminded of why I got 3.73. When I shift manually the car will chirp 2nd very hard.

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-14-2002, 07:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Just a word to the wise get the trans go out quick.
My buddy on here had a trans go shft kit and it blew his trans.It drestroyed everything including a lot of hard parts.It only had 17k on a 2k gt.The mechanic at ford told him the transgo is a pos,and that it he has seen many transmissions it has destroyed.

Current: 2013 GHIG BOSS 302 447rwhp~390rwtq
90LX 301rwhp~331rwtqSOLD
99 2V 2.2KB GT: 608rwhp~542rwtq SOLD
2v t-trim combo:621rwhp~504rwtq
post #3 of 4 Old 04-14-2002, 07:47 PM

Your car is a 98 and has a separate VSS sensor for the speedo and OSS sensor for the tranny shift program. Sorry, the speedo gear wont fix it I dont believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-14-2002, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by white99gt
Just a word to the wise get the trans go out quick.
That's no way to talk to someone. There are many people on here that have had good luck with the Transgo shiftkit. I for one have had nothing but good things to say about it. I did have a slight problem directly after the install, but it was totally install error. The directions are to the "T" and need to be followed as such.

As for your shifting issues... I have the same symptoms. My OD comes on automatically at 85mph even though I turn the button "off." It can only be fixed through a chip. I tried disconnecting the VSS, but it didn't do anything except turn the speedo off in the dash. The computer uses the OSS to control the tranny functions. The computer uses "target speeds" for part throttle shifts. Mine shifts early at part throttle also. I have talked to Randy at True Blue about all these things and I have an appointment to have him dyno tune my car on Friday. I'll give some impressions after I get back on how the tranny acts after tweaking the part throttle shifts and being able to keep OD off when I want it OFF. Good luck!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement