Pistons? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-14-2002, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Pistons?

Someone told me last night that the 95-98 mustangs came with with forged pistons and rods....if this is true did Ford carry this over into 2000? If not does anyone have any recommendations on forged pistions and rods for a 2000 GT. I can get a very good price on a set from a company called Hyperdtechtic (sp?) through a buddy of mine that owns a shop. Please let me know your recommendations.

Thanks for the help,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-14-2002, 06:09 PM

Not sure about 95, but all mod motored Cobras (except the R) came with Hypereutectic pistons from Ford. The new yet to be released 03 Cobra will have forged. If you got to go into the motor most would recommend FORGED slugs AND Rods since your in there. There are many manufactures; Ross, Probe, JE, Manley to name a few. JE pistons w/Manely rods are a popular combo... Sounds like your guy is recommending Hypereutectic (not a brand name) which is fine if your plan to drive "normally", for the difference in price, I'd still go forged...

Rob

PS Don't forget the ARP fastners, Fords are torque to yield.

96 coupe black/black
JE .030 Pistons
Manley forged rods
SHM Main Stud Girdle
8qt Canton Pan
SHM Oil Pump Gears
Billet Trigger Wheel
S-Trim (13lbs)
SHM Powerpipe
Precision discharge tube
83 Pro-M
98 IMRCs
BBK Longtubes
BBK Offroad H
36lb FMS Injectors
5/8 Billet Rails
SX Regulator
KB Boost-A-spark
Taylor 10.4mm wires
Evans Water Pump
Tremec 3550
Hurst shifter w/TriAx
Centerforce DF
FMS aluminum drive shaft
4.10s w/31 splines
T/A cover & girdle
Hotchkis CC Plates
Powerslot rotors w/Z-pads
Pneumatic hood lifters
Motor #3 (July/01)
So much chrome ya gotta wear shades...

With 2nd motor:
1/8 7.64 @ 97.6
1/4 11.93 @ 105 (lifted, no roll bar)
Best MPH 119.8
Daily Driver
post #3 of 9 Old 04-14-2002, 06:26 PM
Corral Member

Three enginiers who worked for JE/Ross now make a very good piston CP this is what I am noe w using on all mod motors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-14-2002, 06:36 PM

Go with forged and get rid of those "Hyperpathetic" pistons.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-14-2002, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 4camv8
Not sure about 95, but all mod motored Cobras (except the R) came with Hypereutectic pistons from Ford. The new yet to be released 03 Cobra will have forged. If you got to go into the motor most would recommend FORGED slugs AND Rods since your in there. There are many manufactures; Ross, Probe, JE, Manley to name a few. JE pistons w/Manely rods are a popular combo... Sounds like your guy is recommending Hypereutectic (not a brand name) which is fine if your plan to drive "normally", for the difference in price, I'd still go forged...

Rob

PS Don't forget the ARP fastners, Fords are torque to yield.
Rob,

thanks for the advise, as far as driving "normally" i don't really take the car to the track however if i need to defend my honor at a stop light so be it. The reason i ask about the pistons and rods is because as of now im running a 100 shot of Nitrous (NX Gemini Twin Kit) and i am about to put a S/C on top of that...i would like to keep the NX system at 100 shot...would the forged pistons and rods be enough for all of that or would i need to change out other internals? i also plan on swapping out the cams...
Thanks again,
post #6 of 9 Old 04-14-2002, 09:06 PM

Re: Pistons?

Quote:
Originally posted by Show Time Stang
Someone told me last night that the 95-98 mustangs came with with forged pistons and rods....

Thanks for the help,
tell that guy that fords been running hypereutectic pistons since 1993. those cheap ba$tards. cant give us forged internals.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-14-2002, 09:59 PM

No engine is bullit proof. Obviously, a number of things increase your chances on longevity. For what your planning on doing forged internals would certainly be one of them. Blower + NOS is very difficult to get right, and extremely tough on any motor. Even for a steet car. Good luck... If your dead set on running both, I'd consider going to a 50 shot, keep a spare kitty of ca$h and find yourself a top notch tuner.

Rob
post #8 of 9 Old 04-15-2002, 12:04 AM

Hypereutectic pistons do offer a number of advantages to Ford.

They are lighter, and run at closer tolerances providing less wear and better oil control. The thermal expansion is very controllable. They're stronger than low-silicon castings anyway...

All fine for a stock/near stock motor.

Definitely not what you need for power adders, though.

and yes, they've been in 5.0's and 4.6's since '93. Ford had a decent set of forgings in there before '93, but they had a tendency to use a higher quantity of oil. All will change with the Cobra in '03. Aren't they Ross? J.E?

2016 GT, Perf/Prem, ruby red.
99 Cobra ebony, blk int. #1762/4040
86GT, 88LX 5.0, 95GT
ctfren ch @ iClo ud. n e t (remove spaces)

Last edited by lo pony; 04-15-2002 at 12:07 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-15-2002, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your advise....now does anyone have any links, prices or know of any place where I can get a decent deal on some Forged Pistons and Rods. Even better if anyone knows a shop or manufacturer that would be interested in sponsoring or discounting these parts to sponsored car that would be great (press packets available). If not, your help on finding a good deal would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement