Well another headswap question (already done - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 04-14-2002, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Well another headswap question (for those with a blower with this setup please read)

Now this is concerning lowering the compression ratio for all of the 99 headswapped cars running blowers. Now I have already talked to SD Wheeler about this and asked him questions and forgot to mention why i was told not to remove the swirl dams in those heads. Now I just want to get some insight if this speech I was given holds to be true or is it just an urban legend.

Ok here it goes...I was told by one person in the Dallas-Fort Worth area who really knows his stuff about mustangs and a fellow down in Houston and their stories sound true from experience, but I talked to SD Wheeler with hands down by far knows his stuff on this website...but I just wanted to get some more feedback to someone who has 100% sure that this is true or not true(with all respect to Mr. Wheeler).

I was calling about a PI headswap kit for my near future mod and also asked what I should do for a blower setup, and I suggested that if I should get the combustion mods done (Knocking down the swirl dams) to lower my compression for a blower application, and for once I was told NO and that I was crazy if I did that...I asked for the reason and here is what I got: "Whenever you decide to knock down the swirl dams you alter the way the fuel and the air mix and cause the fuel to sit on one side (I assumed he meant the cylinder) and gives your a high risk of experiecing detonation" not the exact quote but the basic jist of it. He insisted that the solution was to use dish pistons to lower the compression. The fellow in Houston said that he did this on five cars and quickly stopped as I assume experieced detonation. I already asked SD Wheeler about this and he really didnt agree with the opinion but I forgot to give him the reason, and did not get any reason on why this process is safe.

So my question is that does this hold ground from what the guy told me and if not if can you explain why this isn't true?

Thanks and sorry I made it long but I was hoping that if this was true that I could have saved a future mishap,if it isn't I am just expressing my concerns, since wealth for me is in between here and the stars...

P.S. I really havent came across a post about this and this maybe one of the trial and error procedure kinda setups.

Last edited by SVT1998GT; 04-14-2002 at 01:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-14-2002, 04:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
From what i understand, the best way to reduce the compression ratio is to get dished pistons. It will make it safer for your supercharger. I wouldnt mess with the swirl dams because you may not get good mixture of air and fuel which could cause detonation (too lean). I am about to perform the same mods on my car. good luck.
-Frosty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement