roush S3 vs 03 Cobra? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-13-2002, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
roush S3 vs 03 Cobra?

First sorry for the long post, but I hope this will help others as well as myself.
I was hoping some of you guys could clear somethings up for me.

I was looking to trade in my vette for a four seater and these two cars came to mind first (vert only). I hear that the S3s pulling close to 380-390 fwhp and the Cobras are pulling 400+ fwhp (~470 fwhp with a free flowing exhaust). I will miss my vette, but I need to get myself a fourseater and if the Cobra is as good as all the hype. I do not drag race my car very much, but I love taking corners and hopfully I will get to try the new road course in Englishtown this summer. Which one do you think will handle better from what you all haave heard? I can always add a sub frame connecter to the cobra if they do not come with any. I read a post in SVTPerformance.com saying the 03 cobra can hold it's own against a Z06 on the road course. My buddies got a saleen, no s/c, but has the suspension and that thing corners I think better than my vette actually. I just don't want to get a new car and be left in the dust against his car as soon as he adds his s/c. alright thanks for the help and feel free to add anything else performance related you know of about the Roush, Cobra, and even the Saleen and Shawn Hyland. Look forward to hearing your responses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-13-2002, 11:39 PM

Just my .02, but I think the 03 Cobra would be a better car. It has the 4V vs the 2V and it's "built" from the gound up to handle the blower, vice adding one to a stock engine. Hey, I love my Roush and wish I had an S3, but If I was buying new in 03, I think I would go Cobra -- although, I prefer an auto. As for future mods, they both have roots blowers, so I think the options would be the same. One other thing, the Cobra has the new 6 speed!

post #3 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 02:45 AM
U.S. Army Active Duty

Cobra all the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 02:52 AM

ROush is a better car to just keave as is. it is faster 0-60 and 0-70 becasue of the steep first gear they had to put on the cobra not to blow out the IRS.

now if you are gonna mod it, the cobra can de made to go faster.

i got this from someone at who was responsible from doing the testing on both.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 02:57 AM

The back seat of a Mustang isn't exactly "functional"

I would take the 03 Cobra over a Roush or Saleen without a second thought.

Another idea is a BMW M3. That's a great fast car with a back seat. I just mention this because you have a Vette so you could probably afford this. But it probably won't be as fast as your buddy if he does get an SC.

Last edited by 99281; 04-14-2002 at 03:04 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 04:11 AM

nnnnnnnnnnnnevermind.

EOM

2016 GT, Perf/Prem, ruby red.
99 Cobra ebony, blk int. #1762/4040
86GT, 88LX 5.0, 95GT
ctfren ch @ iClo ud. n e t (remove spaces)
post #7 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 07:04 AM

Well, If you want a four door car that does 0-60 in under 5 sec, and you like rice burners (I'd vote stay American), here's an option.

Do a search on Mitsubishi Lancer Evo (Evolution V)
and read about it. A guy at work is into these Euro/Jap rally cars and just showed me the article comparing some of the top ones coming out. I couldn't believe there was a four cylinder rice burner with this kind of HP and ET.

Here's a cut and paste from an article downunder:

Specs: Engine 2 litre (1997cc) DOHC, 16 Valve Intercooled Turbocharged In Line 4 Power 206kW (280bhp) @ 6500rpm Torque 373 Nm @ 3000rpm REDLINE / Cutout 7100rpm / ????rpm Transmission Manual 5 speed Manual Drive All Wheel Drive Weight 1360kg Performance 0-100km/h 5 secs 0-400m 13 secs Top Speed 247 (claimed) Price (Domestically in Japan) $3.2 million yen (AUS$37,000)

Here's one link --
http://www.ralliartuk.com/cs/EvoVI/GSR/evo_p1050400.htm
post #8 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
Like my name says I like american Muscle cars so I would like to stay american. I like rally cars, but I do not think they look as nice. I am leaning towards the Cobra over the Roush, but I really like the side exhausts on the Roush and if I get the CObra I will probably get a Roush wing to put on it and maybe the side exhausts if possible.
Actually I bought the vette used so the M3 is out of my price range, esp the convertible. Wish I had the money.
Anybody know about handling performance in the Cobra on how it compares to a vette, roush, or saleen? I heard it can run on the road course and hold it's own with a Z06, is that true? Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be as iformed as possible when I make my decision. Thanks.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 11:45 AM

Roush S3 will outhandle a cobra ANYDAY! Goto www.fnsweet.com and hit up the forums page and you will find all your S3 answers there. The opening page actually has new photos of some guys running there S3's at Thunderhill.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 02:02 PM

03 Cobra:

DOHC heads
M114 Blower
6 speed
IRS
Near stock mustang suspension
Cobra Brakes

Stage 3:

SOHC heads
M114 Blower
5 speed
Solid Axle
awesome stock suspension
Roush Brakes

For my money the forged engine, 6 speed combo that you get in the 03 cobra, makes it worth the money. The Roush will handle better, but I would take the money that I'm saving and buy a suspension kit from Steeda or the like and be done with it. The Roush also costs quite a bit more.

2002 GT Mustang -sold-
5 speed
post #11 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 04:10 PM

forgot to add to the S3....cobra hood, roush seats, pedals, fuel system upgrade, exhaust, roush mats, gauges, intake, etc........
post #12 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 09:54 PM

i would get a 03 cobra if i was deciding between the 2 you are. for the money i like the 03 cobra. like some else said buy suspension goodies via aftermarket and you have a sweet all around car for under 40k. as far as the 03 cobra holding its own against a ZO6. we will have to wait and see. i think it could though. not in handling though!
post #13 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 10:48 PM

03 Cobra: T-56, forged bottom end,IRS and it costs less... should i get started on how much better it will respond to mods ? To bad the chrome rims pushed my order back to the second run...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement