Thinking about SS brake lines? DO IT! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-13-2002, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thumbs up Thinking about SS brake lines? DO IT!

I installed Russell SS front brake lines today and man what an improvement over stock! Why in the world does Ford put the bare minimum on the Mustang? These brake lines cost me around $65 shipped and took less than 2hrs (start to finish, including jacking the car up, removing all 4 wheels, bleeding the brakes at all 4 corners, installing the SS lines, putting the wheels back on, and taking it for a test drive) to do myself. Well, my wife did help with bleeding the brakes - she was my pedal girl in the car Any way, these things made a big difference in pedal feel compared to stock. The brakes don't feel mushy at all any more and much more positive when I hit the pedal. So if you're thinking about it, go for it. As I said, I used Russell, and Tungsten on here used Pro3i and got the same results. And if you're wondering how difficult a job it is, I'll say this - I'd never bled a brake system in my life, much less changed out brake lines! Yesterday I didn't know what a banjo bolt was, and today I still don't but I was able to get the job done without incident using normal hand tools.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-13-2002, 10:05 PM

Re: Thinking about SS brake lines? DO IT!

Quote:
Originally posted by DP-Jedi
Yesterday I didn't know what a banjo bolt was, and today I still don't but I was able to get the job done without incident using normal hand tools.
That made me laugh.

I'm probably gonna change my brake lines soon. I'm tired of the mushy feel too.

97 GT - Sold 3/03
03 WRX
post #3 of 13 Old 04-13-2002, 11:09 PM

Cool, good info. They should hold up much better than standard lines as well, so your car is now more reliable

A suggestion for others: get a set of speed-bleeders for your calipers. They're cheap and make bleeding brakes a one person job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-13-2002, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Crafoo
A suggestion for others: get a set of speed-bleeders for your calipers. They're cheap and make bleeding brakes a one person job.
Actually, I put those on today as well. My one person bleed job, with the speed bleeders, yielded lots of air in the lines. There was so much air in the passenger side front that when I finally had my wife pump the pedal, nothing but foam came out! Next time I'll make sure there is some new brake fluid in the can. It's apparent that even with the speed bleeders, some air gets sucked into the system when you release the pedal. No biggie, just a caveat.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-13-2002, 11:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Sweet! Glad to see that you got them installed. Those brake lines and some Performance Friction pads really make my GT stand on it's nose when I mat the brake pedal.

¤ 2003 DSG Mach 1
¤ 2004 F240 PSD 6.0L Crew Cab 4x4
post #6 of 13 Old 04-13-2002, 11:47 PM

Did you make sure you didn't run out of fluid in the brake fluid resivoir? Which caliper did you start with? The farthest or nearest to the distr. block?

Well, I've sworn by these little guys in the past. I've found they work better than those little hand pumps. A third hand (or foot) is best, IF they can follow simple directions You've got a good wife there I haven't been so lucky as to find a skilled pedal pumper
post #7 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Crafoo
Did you make sure you didn't run out of fluid in the brake fluid resivoir? Which caliper did you start with? The farthest or nearest to the distr. block?

Well, I've sworn by these little guys in the past. I've found they work better than those little hand pumps. A third hand (or foot) is best, IF they can follow simple directions You've got a good wife there I haven't been so lucky as to find a skilled pedal pumper
Oh yeah, hehe, believe me I made sure the reservoir didn't go dry. I was paranoid about it due to what I read on here about getting air in the ABS something or other and then needing a tool from Ford that costs big $$ blah blah blah. Any way, what I'll make sure next time is that I have some fluid in the catch can so the hose is submerged in the fluid and then there's no way that air can be sucked back up when the pedal is released. Other than that, I'm not unhappy with the speed bleeders, I just needed to take another precaution. Hind sight... Oh and my wife doesn't understand why I do the things I do to my car, but gives me a "that's nice dear" (then rolls her eyes and asks why I'm taking perfectly good parts off of the car) when I tell her about the parts I buy for it
post #8 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 01:32 AM

Re: Thinking about SS brake lines? DO IT!

Quote:
Originally posted by DP-Jedi
I installed Russell SS front brake lines today and man what an improvement over stock! Why in the world does Ford put the bare minimum on the Mustang? These brake lines cost me around $65 shipped and took less than 2hrs (start to finish, including jacking the car up, removing all 4 wheels, bleeding the brakes at all 4 corners, installing the SS lines, putting the wheels back on, and taking it for a test drive) to do myself. Well, my wife did help with bleeding the brakes - she was my pedal girl in the car Any way, these things made a big difference in pedal feel compared to stock. The brakes don't feel mushy at all any more and much more positive when I hit the pedal. So if you're thinking about it, go for it. As I said, I used Russell, and Tungsten on here used Pro3i and got the same results. And if you're wondering how difficult a job it is, I'll say this - I'd never bled a brake system in my life, much less changed out brake lines! Yesterday I didn't know what a banjo bolt was, and today I still don't but I was able to get the job done without incident using normal hand tools.
Where did you order them from?
post #9 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 02:27 AM

No speed bleeders or pumps needed.
My wife grew up being the pedal girl for her dad and brothers Chevelle's.
(She was also called in January for a muscle car video being made by the producers of the Fast and the Furious ) But I digress.

Sorry had to brag.

I have a friend who had the same problem with the speed bleeder's letting some air back in. He felt the goo on the threads gets worn or dried out.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Thinking about SS brake lines? DO IT!

Quote:
Originally posted by 98MODMTR

Where did you order them from?
http://store.yahoo.com/mustangweekly/19fronstains.html
Good service too.

post #11 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 10:48 AM

Thumbs up Awesome

DP-Jedi, where can you get the Pro3i lines? Also, do you know of a source for rear stainless lines as well? Thanks.

-Nate
'98 Cobra Coupe
post #12 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 11:02 AM

Just be careful with the routing of the steel lines. I swapped pads yesterday and discovered a couple of spots on my driver's sided line where it had been very slightly rubbed. I'm going to cut a couple of pieces of rubber sleeve or something to wrap those spots, in order to protect from further rubbing.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-14-2002, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: Awesome

Quote:
Originally posted by Streetracer
DP-Jedi, where can you get the Pro3i lines? Also, do you know of a source for rear stainless lines as well? Thanks.
Pro3i parts can be purchsed from http://www.partshopper.com. I'm pretty sure that the rear lines can be purchased from http://www.jegs.com. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement