Fixed idle problem on '02 GT - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-13-2002, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Fixed idle problem on '02 GT

My '02 has always idled poorly. Never enough to die, but hunting, surging, rough shaking, etc. Dealers too stupid to fix. I put on a new C&L meter. Picked up some power but got occasional SES light, with no DTC code stored. Just put my 70mm t/b on today. When I took the factory one off, the lower portion of the gasket was torn off. Didn't see it in the intake, or on the intake. Anyway, fired it up. Nice difference in throttle reponse, no SES light, and it feels like some more power. My guess is the maf leaned it just enough for the vacuum leak at the t/b to trigger the SES. I'm a happy camper today.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-13-2002, 06:20 PM

My 2002 Gt idles really rough. the dealer said let it get about 1,200 miles on it before i bring it in. They say it might smooth out. When open the hood the motor is shaking and if you look at the tach it moves up and down. The exhaust makes little pops at idle at times kinda like little backfires. It has 800 miles on it now. I may do what you did and see if it fixes it. Where did you get the parts???

post #3 of 3 Old 04-13-2002, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

The MAF has changed for '02, so the only one available is the C&L. They put the temp sensor inside, so its a 6-wire wide connector now, so Pro-M won't work. The t/b you can get anywhere. Mine's BBK, I try to stay away from Mac stuff. Mine was getting occasional popping in the exhaust at idle, I'd guess from the computer over-richening to make up for the vacuum leak. the dealer actually told me it was those "big cams" causing the idle problem. I knew they were too stupid to fix it at that point, so I figured I'd find the problem sooner or later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement