Which Chip? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-13-2002, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Which Chip?

I've read several posts about Hypertech, Superchip, and Diablosport Chip. I have a 2001 GT with auto transmission. To date, I have only installed a K&N filter. I do not intend on doing much else to it as I don't intend to race but just want something fun to drive.

I've been to all 3 web sites below is a brief update to the claims and price.

Diablosports - 25 HP on Stock 4.6 2V - $265
Superchips - Up to 10% HP Improvement - $265
Hypertech - 12HP @ 4000 RPM - $???

I'm interested in feedback about each chip for my application. Your help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-13-2002, 07:26 AM

For a nearly stock car, the chip isn't going to do much for you. I think you can get them to change your shift points, but I'm unsure. If you had something like exhaust/pullies/MAF/TB, then I could warrant a chip. The thing is about a chip, if you DO go ahead and get it now, you'll have to get it re-burned if you do any more mods. I would hold off for now. You'd be better off getting a timing adjuster or set of pullies, which are both cheaper than a chip.

Larry

98 BMW M3
01 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (blue)
91 Black Mustang GT
post #3 of 5 Old 04-13-2002, 09:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Those HP numbers the chips give are not right. For me, I just gave a company my computer code and then they sent me a superchip, it wasn't custom or anything special, it really didn't do anything worth $200+.

But my friend has a GT auto and got one, and likes the way it shifts better.

2007 Civic Si Sedan, Fiji Blue, lots of stickers
2001 Cobra, Mineral Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-13-2002, 01:26 PM

WALTERA: Talk to Dennis Reinhart at Reinhart Automotive (www.reinhartautomotive.com). Tell him you want a chip and that that seabass sent you. Even a stock car has a little bit to gain....especially a stock auto. But things gotta be done right.

C
post #5 of 5 Old 04-13-2002, 02:14 PM

If you don't plan on doing any serious modding, I wouldn't recommend a chip.....a chip can do alot of great things like: correct the speedo for gears, eliminate the check engine light for offroad exhaust, disable traction control, firm up the shift pattern of the car at w.o.t. and a few other things that I can't seem to remember right now.......if gears are in your future plans (I recommend 4.10's for a 99+ auto...changes the whole feel of the car) then a chip will definitely be beneficial to you, however, with a purely stock setup you could spend $300 on other things for your auto that will help significantly, such as a shift kit, tranny cooler, and U/D pullies......

but, if ya still want a chip, I recommend www.teamjdm.com they program a great chip, and know their stuff, plus they are one of the few companies that can program a chip for the 2001 auto's with the NUX2 computer code.

good luck to ya,
JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement