What lower control arms are best? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-13-2002, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
What lower control arms are best?

I want the best for both autocorssing and drag racing.

I heard that the Wolfe,MM and Megabites were the best.

With:

Wolfe=best for 1/4mile racing
MM=good for autox and 1/4(not as good as wolfe in draging)
Megabites=good for both like the MM

Does this sound about right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-13-2002, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

anybody?

post #3 of 14 Old 04-13-2002, 03:48 PM

ttt

Pro3i are the exact same as mm but way cheaper.

i have all the same questions too......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-13-2002, 05:08 PM

MM is the best for suspensions and frame integrity on Mustangs.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-13-2002, 05:34 PM

I like my Mega Bite Jr.'s on my '98 but I never had anything to compare it to other than I feel they help plant the rear better than stock lowers..

'98 RARE Bright Atlantic Blue/Black Cloth Cobra Coupe. Built 8/29/97 #009. Vortech 3.1SC
435/390 @6300w/10.6psi SCTDynotuned 4/24/07 by Lidio-Alternative Auto,
post #6 of 14 Old 04-13-2002, 05:53 PM

Are Steeda's any good?
post #7 of 14 Old 04-14-2002, 02:53 PM

Steeda's are good but the word through the grapevine is MM is the best. When I just looked at a MM lower control arm, it just looked way more advanced than any other out there. Plus, MM doesn't beat around the bush and make their own "Brand" springs. They stock H&R and Bilsteins....the best. So I know they aren't in it to make some quick bucks. They are performance driven. If I can get a set of H&R's for the same price as "Brand X" springs-I wouldn't think twice to get H&R's all around.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-14-2002, 02:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Re: ttt

Quote:
Originally posted by 1248bullitt
Pro3i are the exact same as mm but way cheaper.

Is this 100% true?

2007 Civic Si Sedan, Fiji Blue, lots of stickers
2001 Cobra, Mineral Grey
post #9 of 14 Old 04-14-2002, 03:28 PM

The J&M lca's I have are the exact same as the MM lca's and were about $50.00 less. They are tubular aluminum and have the spherical bearing at the front.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-14-2002, 04:35 PM

IMO the lca's with a sherical bearing are superior to the poly bushed (both ends) type lca.

The ones with the poly on both ends IMO are intended for drag racing. They would also be ok for the street. If you intend to carve some corners then the ploy units will cause chassis binding which is not good hence the sherical bearing unit is th choice.

I have the Global West TBF-1 lca. This is the unit sold by FRPP. I have been very satisfied with the way they have performed. (I had them on the ride before the other suspension mods.) They did help on the hookup but the biggest impact noticed was that the rear axle no longer shifted in hard cornering. That alone made them more them worth the cost.

When it comes rite down to it the type of lca you use depends on what you intend to do with the ride. You can do a compromise in the chassis to do both auto x and drag racing but the compromise will not be the best for either condition.

I like the turns and therefore have configured my ride for cornering. If I had the bucks to put a Torque arm in I would and also change the K member to a tube unit. Maybe in the future.

I cannot say anything bad about MM with the exception of the banjo bolt they have on the stainless brake lines. IMO it should be stonger than it is.

Another to look at is Griggs. By far considered the premium for auto x.

Good luck!

post #11 of 14 Old 04-16-2002, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sirhisss
IMO the lca's with a sherical bearing are superior to the poly bushed (both ends) type lca.

The ones with the poly on both ends IMO are intended for drag racing. They would also be ok for the street. If you intend to carve some corners then the ploy units will cause chassis binding which is not good hence the sherical bearing unit is th choice.

I have the Global West TBF-1 lca. This is the unit sold by FRPP. I have been very satisfied with the way they have performed. (I had them on the ride before the other suspension mods.) They did help on the hookup but the biggest impact noticed was that the rear axle no longer shifted in hard cornering. That alone made them more them worth the cost.

When it comes rite down to it the type of lca you use depends on what you intend to do with the ride. You can do a compromise in the chassis to do both auto x and drag racing but the compromise will not be the best for either condition.

I like the turns and therefore have configured my ride for cornering. If I had the bucks to put a Torque arm in I would and also change the K member to a tube unit. Maybe in the future.

I cannot say anything bad about MM with the exception of the banjo bolt they have on the stainless brake lines. IMO it should be stonger than it is.

Another to look at is Griggs. By far considered the premium for auto x.

Good luck!
I think I manily want LCA's for drag racing but I want something that will also help in autocrossing. I don't want something all out for draging that will break if I try to autox my car. What are the Globel West LCAs mainly for? What kind would you recommend for me?
post #12 of 14 Old 04-18-2002, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

bump
post #13 of 14 Old 04-18-2002, 02:58 PM

I would suggest using the sherical bearing type lca if you plan on hard cornering at all (ie auto-x).

It is unlikely that the lca will break in either drag or auto-x work. What will give is the torque boxes. The floor pan is 16 ga. steel.

I would also suggest calling the Global West and/or the MM people and discuss what you want to do with the car. They and others are the suspension experts and will give you suggestions on setups.

Good luck!
post #14 of 14 Old 04-18-2002, 03:32 PM

I've owned both the Global Wests and Maximum Motorsports LCA's. I recommend the MM's (or griggs).

I found that the Global LCAs transmitted more road and drivetrain noise, and when I pulled them off (after 6000 miles) one of the spherical bearings was a little loose. The spherical bearing on the MM unit looks much beefier.

If you buy the globals you are also limited to their Traclink system, you cannot use a panhard bar and traction arm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement