Back wheel is "bent" HELP!!!! (IRS) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-12-2002, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Back wheel is "bent" HELP!!!! (IRS)

To make a long story short, I hit a curb and busted my front tire, broke my back rim, and the whole wheel is bented like this / (if your looking at it from the front or back). I pulled over and (THANK GOD I had my tools on me) pulled the back wheel off and I didnt see anything broken. I took the spindle off to check the half-shaft and it wasnt broken!!!! So I but everything back together and the whole spindle was bented outward. What could this be?????? Also when I took the spindle off, 2 of them came off easy and the other seemed like it was welded on or something.... I just managed to get the nut off but I coulnt tget the whole screw out, or even move it back out of the spindle/lowercontrol arm for that matter! This happened on my Cougar... it has an Independent Rear Suspension like the new cobra's

88 LX 5sp
Ported stock intake, GT40P Heads, ASP crank pulley, Ford Motorsport shorty headers, Mac O/R H-pipe, Flowmasters, Tri-ax shifter, King Cobra Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-12-2002, 11:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
This happened to me twice and the second time I cracked the rim. You may just need new axles...while you are at it get strong 31 spline axles as they are the only axles that are accepted by locking diff's. No biggie. When it happened to me the second time I just went and got a set of nice wheels and tires. Don't bother going through insurance.

post #3 of 7 Old 04-12-2002, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

You know I dont have a live axle right? I dont think they have a 31spine for that. I checked my half-shaft, and it was fine. A friend of mine said it could be the lower control arm or spindle... But he didnt see it just by what I describe, he based his answer one

88 LX 5sp
Ported stock intake, GT40P Heads, ASP crank pulley, Ford Motorsport shorty headers, Mac O/R H-pipe, Flowmasters, Tri-ax shifter, King Cobra Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-13-2002, 06:40 PM

Bent Wheel

There are places that can fix bent wheels. My buddy has a '94 GT and his wife did a little "off roading" and really trashed a wheel. He took it to one of these places and they fixed it like new. It wasn't even too gosh awful expensive--Look into this option.

2006 Premium GT Convertible
Screaming Yellow, Black Top
Black Leather
18" "Fanblade Wheels"
Interior Upgrade Pkg.
Side Airbags
Soft Boot
Shaker 500 Audio System
5 Speed
CORSA Performance exhaust
post #5 of 7 Old 04-14-2002, 12:20 PM

I just paid 150 to have my wheel sent to a facility in Miami to have it fixed. I hit a curb and bent the very outer rim part. They fixed it and refinished it then rebalanced it. The wheel looks better now then it did when it was new.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-14-2002, 01:00 PM

When you say that two of the bolts were easy but one was tough, do you mean the toe-link at the rear side of the spindle? That one takes a tool. Is it the right side spindle? If so, I have a spare but it is a standard pre-recall 99 piece.

My bet is that your spindle or control arm is bent. The only way you can tell is to compare it to the other side. There is a camber adjustment at the top of the splindle. There is an offset washer on the bolt that you can turn and correct the camber by 5 degrees or so. You can try to adjust that and use a level to set the camber to zero. If you can't something is bent and will need to be replaced.

Joe Lynch

99 Cobra Convert, 99GT live axle, 31 spline C-Locker, Mark Williams axles, HPM upper and lower, FMS alum driveshaft. Pro-Motion pro-shifted TKO-500 trans.
28x10/15 ET Drags on Pro-Star 15x10, 6.5BS wheels Star Stage 3S clutch, MAFterburner Plus, Aeromotive A1000-6 regulator, return style fuel system,
Aug, 2003 forged motor, HP cams, SHM valve springs, short runner intake, SCT Flasher for tuning. Best
150 shot is 10.77 at 127.8 mph in very good air. 1.35 60'.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-14-2002, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

I fixed it today... That 1 screw that wouldnt come out was bent to hell! I almost thought I was gonna hafta buy a whole new rear suspension setup from the junk yard. THANK GOD!!

88 LX 5sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement