HELP!!! CHANGED PLUGWIRES, NOW I'M F#CKED! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-12-2002, 08:36 PM
Idiot Savant

Unhappy HELP!!! CHANGED PLUGWIRES, NOW I'M F#CKED!

Okay, here's the deal. I changed out my plugs and plug wires on my '97 cobra today. I used ford factory parts. The new wires didn't have the cylinder numbers on them like the old ones, so I matched them up by length. Apparantly I got it wrong because now the thing runs like ****. Misses, idles rough as hell, etc. The only designations I could find on the wires are on the coil side plugs. There's various numbers 43,45 37, etc on the plug themselves. How does one know where these dman things go?

Any help greatly appreciated.

By the way, this isn't my first post. I am Jafar on this board. For some damn reason I can't log in. Not important to the problem at hand, but in case anyone remembers Jafar, that's me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2002, 08:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Here is a picture of the layout. Ignore the dashes, that is the only way I could get the picture to line up.

-----------4----------8
-----------3----------7
-----------2----------6
-----------1----------5
-----------cylinder #'s

-----5--6----------------2--4
-----3--1----------------8--7
---coil pack----------coil pack

---------FRONT OF CAR

post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2002, 08:56 PM
Idiot Savant

This is very helpful. Now the big question is how do I know which wire belongs on which coil/bank? The wires don't have numbers on them, but there are some rather odd numbers on the plugs that attach to the coils.

Thanks Again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2002, 09:06 PM

Pull the covers off of the valve covers so you can see the plug holes and check to see that coil #1 goes to cylinder #1 and coil #2 goes to cylinder #2 for all eight cylinders as per the picture in my previous post.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-12-2002, 09:29 PM
Idiot Savant

Well, They're all on as per the picture now. Now the S.O.B. won't start at all. Just cranks. That diagram was for a '97, right? I doubt it's even changed from 96-99, but who knows? This is really kicking my ass
post #6 of 8 Old 04-12-2002, 10:01 PM

Yes, its the same for 96-98. Since that didn't work I would check the resistance on the new wires. It should be around 8-13K ohms (Stock wires) depending on the length of the wire. The longer the wire the higher the resistance. The plugs should be gapped to .055. If that doesn't work you could check the coils.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-12-2002, 10:41 PM
Idiot Savant

As it turns out, proper configuration is as follows:

-----4 8
-----3 7
-----2 6
-----1 5

--6 3 7 2
--1 5 4 8

I found the ford schematics on the forum from a while back. Somebody had the same problem. It now runs great! Anyway, It looks like you just had the numbers reversed from top to bottom. Thanks anyway, later.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-12-2002, 11:52 PM

I'll have to make a note of that. I pulled that info right from the Chiltons manual.

On one page it shows it one way and two pages away it shows it another way.

I guess I should have just looked at my car.

Anyway, glad to hear its running again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement