4.30 gear install Q's - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-12-2002, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question 4.30 gear install Q's

Hello all,

I have had the 4.30's in my closet waiting for a spare time opening to throw them in and it is driving me crazy. Finally I have some time and I was wondering where I can get some install tips and instructions for the install. I will be doing the install myself because the speed shops want too much money for the job and I'm a poor college student) I am not experienced in gear swaps and will be working under jack stands but have air tools. Are there any special tools I need to buy for this application or am I crazy to even try and take it on? Any info and opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless.

<{{{<<

Gabe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-12-2002, 05:39 AM

You will need alot of tools do it right. Dial indicator with magnetic base, bearing puller, Hydraulic press, Torque wrench, etc. You can get away without the hydraulic press but you need everything else.

www.superstallions.com and the corral have tech articles on installing gears. If you have the tools or can get them, you can do it, if not pay someone to do it.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Internet's 1st Mustang Enthusiasts Club
post #3 of 12 Old 04-12-2002, 10:59 AM

They are really hard to shim right and if you don't get the pinion depth exactly right your going to get a howling noise. Where do you live? Myabe someone can tell you of a cheap mechanic to put them in for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-12-2002, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Psycho-Stallion,

I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The best and cheapest shop for gears around here, Ascension Pony Cars, was going to do it for (150) but his lift broke so I would have to wait until he can get a new one which will take a while (2-3weeks or more). Everyone else I have called wants 250+ and that is way too high for me to pay. Does anyone know of a place in LA that is good and asks fair prices?

Island Vobra,

About how much is the bearing puller and dial indicator ( I have one but I don't think it has a magnetic base). How can I get away without using the hydraulic press. Also I've heard of a gear install kit that you can buy, have you ever heard of it?
post #5 of 12 Old 04-12-2002, 03:14 PM

I easily spent more in specialized tools to do it myself than I could have paid a shop to have it done, though I'm glad I did just to have had the experience.

I really can't imagine how you would do it without a press. You'll either need to get one, or know someone who has one, but you'll need it several times throughout the install so it helps if it's on-site.

You'll also need very small (5-30 in-lb. range) beam-style torque wrench to set the pinion bearing pre-load. I couldn't find one that small anywhere locally. I finally found a place out of California called Randy's Ring and Pinion that I ordered it from.

If you're installing FMS gears, there's a very good chance that using the same shims and pinion depth as what you currently have will be right on. I fortunately had a great contact path the first time and didn't have to make any adjustments. At the very least it should be a good starting point so you won't have to have a pinion depth gauge.

Yours shouldn't be near as difficult and mine was. Getting the carrier in and out of the IRS housing was a pain in the a**.

Brian
post #6 of 12 Old 04-12-2002, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Island Vobra,

I just saw that you are the one that wrote the gear install article at superstallions. You did a great job explaining. If I do decide to take this on do you think I could get your e-mail or number just in case I run into any trouble. It sounds like a long procedure, but I enjoy working on my car, it helps me releive stress Plus the payoff on 4.30's is awesome I've heard. How did your install go, any vibration or gear whine?

<{{{<<

Gabe
post #7 of 12 Old 04-12-2002, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Brian,

Thanks for the information, I know what you mean about the experience, I think it is so much more rewarding to do your own work If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend on tools? Did you use the stock shims and pinion depth?

<{{{<<

Gabe
post #8 of 12 Old 04-12-2002, 06:18 PM

Here's roughly how it came out:

12 ton press $130
small beam in-lb. tq. wrench: $50
dial indicator w/ base: $40
Large bearing separator: $30
3 jaw puller set: $30
Probably another $50-60 in misc. crap I found I needed along the way that you may or may not need (wheel puller, Axle nut socket, socket large enough for the pinion nut, I had to fabricate a differential spreader for the IRS housing, etc.)

I used all the stock shims and bearings and it was a perfect setup. If you have to adjust it any, you'll have to replace the carrier shims because the factory ones are just one piece cast shims.

As long as the bearings look ok and you're carefull when pressing them off and on, you should be fine using the stock ones.

Brian
post #9 of 12 Old 04-12-2002, 11:43 PM

my email address is [email protected] . The tools are cheap and you will use them again and again on various projects, renting them is a great option also for things like the inch/pound torque wrench, this is one tool you will almost never use anywhere else on the car. 95% of the time, using the stock pinion shim will get you within spec, I suggest going to www.drivetraindirect.com and buying their shim pack instead of re-using your stock carrier shims. The stock ones are cast iron and tend to crack when you try to reinstall them and are not adjustable in size anyway. The shim pack from DTD is a bunch of smaller shims, lik .1, .030, .010, .005 shims that you stack together to get what size you need and they are made of steel and wont crack ever. The kit goes for like 9 bucks and does both sides.

To install the pinion bearing without a press, you boil some water and put the bearing in there for like 10 minutes so it will expand, then you put the pinion gear in the freezer for 1/2 hour so it will contract, the pinion bearing will slide right over the pinion gear easily. You can draw the ring gear in with the bolts tightend evenly in a star pattern, getting the ring gear off the diff is more tricky but can be done but is MUCH easier with a press.

James Adkins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-13-2002, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

James,

Thanks for all the great tips. I was a little apprehensive about taking on the project but with all your awesome instructions I am going to give it a shot. I am planning on starting this coming Thursday. I will e-mail you if I run into any trouble or have any more questions if that is okay. Also, where can I get the tools cheapest? I will probably try and rent the press if that is possible or borrow one if anyone I know has one. Do you have any ideas on any places that may rent one?

post #11 of 12 Old 04-13-2002, 03:19 AM

Harbor Freight sells every tool imaginable and they are cheap. www.harborfreight.com

If you want to rent, goto the yellow pages under Rental equipment, there a ALOT of rental companies out there and charge little for tool rentals. Where are you from, I could prolly tell you a couple of big chains, most rental companies have been absorbed by big rental chains in the last 5 years ago.

James

post #12 of 12 Old 04-13-2002, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

James,

I'm from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I will check out the yellow pages and see what I can find. How handy would these tools be if I bought them, what type of other modifications would I be able to use them on?

<{{{<<

Gabe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement