brakes ? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
brakes ?

OK on all the stangs i have had (97 v6,98 gt,97 cobra) all of them got warped rotors, so i would get them turned and put new pads on and then after about 5,000 miles their back. WTF?

please help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 11:05 PM

I fishtailed the butt end of my 98 GT into a curb just after a rain..yeah I'm not all there. I replaced the axle and just had the rotor resurfaced (ground as straight as possible) to minimize the warp. It still squeaks a bit on hard corners when I apply the brake but thats it.

What is the other big deal with the warped rotor? You must get alot more squeaking?

One of these days I'll get a set of Brembo's.

As far as the brake pads..there's something wrong there. Are you the only driver of the car...maybe someone is doing brake stands on her.

This is too much of a coincidence to happen to all of your Stangs.

post #3 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

i was and am the only driver on my cars, what i dont like is comming down for 100+ mph and the steering wheels is wobbeling like hell and the brake pedle pulsating. and if you think about it if the rotor in not right then it will drag,slowing you down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 11:26 PM

I see what you mean now..

Just a stab in the dark here but do you park on a steep incline?

post #5 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

no
post #6 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 11:55 PM

there are a couple ways to get a decent rotor on a mustang...for cobras you can buy the 99 brembo rotor and just put it on...go to the brembo website or go into ford and tell the nice parts man you want 99 cobra rotors...this is easy on the wallet...

if you want an even better rotor you can go to a two piece racing rotor...brembo, baer, and coleman all make a part that goes right on...not so easy on the wallet...
post #7 of 13 Old 04-12-2002, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

so the reason my rotors are warpped is because they are substandard? Iwas thinking that there was some sort of cooling problem.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-12-2002, 03:04 AM

You might want to have the rotors resurfaced one more time. When you put the rims back on, make sure you torque them in the correct sequence and to the correct spec. I don't know what the spec is, but over tightening lug nuts can warp rotors. Hope this helps.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-12-2002, 03:28 AM

I keep hearing that under/over torquing wheels will warp rotors. I am not saying that is wrong but I do not understand the logic behind that statement. Someone please explain. By the way I always use a TQ wrench when installing wheels cause I don't like it when a wheel falls off or a stud strips.

Thanks, Dwayne
post #10 of 13 Old 04-12-2002, 03:38 AM

Over torqueing can bend the metel. It will throw the rotor off. Kinda like a warped record.

post #11 of 13 Old 04-12-2002, 04:02 AM

Another thing that can cause warped rotors is setting your emergency brake when the rotors are hot from hard braking. The area of the rotor where the pad contacts when the brake applies will actually cool faster then the rest of the rotor causing it to warp.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-12-2002, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Over torqueing can bend the metel. It will throw the rotor off. Kinda like a warped record.
I sort of buy that, but you are torquing against a flat flange with 5 lug nuts so I still do not see any bending forces being applied.
The unequal cooling from leaving the parking brake on could have a negative effect but only on the rear rotors.
The bigest problem I see is overheating your rotors when they are new and not heat cycled causing them to warp. But once they have taken a set and turned they in theory should not warp much more if any.
I know with Alcon rotors they are heat cycled and ground flat in the factory eliminating the warping problem.
Could it be that the early factory rotors are just not up to the quality needed on such a large diam rotor?? And ford knowing that went to the Brembo rotors to overcome that problem?

Dwayne
post #13 of 13 Old 04-12-2002, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

about the parking brake thing, i have never had a promblem with the rear brakes. also when i wash me car i never put water on the hot brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement