Fuel Pump Install on '98 GT & Where to Get Walbro GSS317? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-11-2002, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Fuel Pump Install on '98 GT & Where to Get Walbro GSS317?

I was just flipping through the service manual for my '98 GT to see what was involved in changing the fuel pump. It indicates I've got to drop the tank to do it. Blah! For some reason I always thought that plastic area under the spare tire was some kind of access hole for the pump, but guess I was wrong.

Anywho, given that, I figured I ought to go ahead and put a Walbro 255lph fuel pump in there while I have it out rather than the 190lph unit that came with the Roush/SVO roots blower I'll be putting on. FRPP heads will be going on next year with a HP goal of about 320 to the wheels.

I believe the GSS317 is the right model # for my bastard child '98 GT, but I'm not sure. Anybody care to confirm or deny that? Also, where can I get one? I was checking out JD's Performance and they don't have the 317 listed on their web page, only the 307, 340, and 342.

Second, can anybody offer any tips for draining the gas out of the tank? I'm planning on just running the car down to about 1/8 tank before I even try to tackle this.

Thanks,
Matt

Atlantic Blue '98 GT Convertible with stuff
'03 5-door Focus SVT without stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-11-2002, 10:59 PM

im doing that install tomorrow. I am running the tank to E and keeping a 5 gallon tank in the garage filled with 93.

Should be light enough to drop out. I don't think it wil be hard if you have ramps to ride the back up on. I have never done it before and I'm not sweating it........maybe i should

post #3 of 9 Old 04-12-2002, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 98Roush
I don't think it wil be hard if you have ramps to ride the back up on. I have never done it before and I'm not sweating it........maybe i should
It probably won't be bad as long as you can sucker someone into holding the tank while you work on removing/installing the straps holding it in place. I just want to do it right this time so I don't have to worry about it when I get around to adding some higher flowing cylinder heads next year.

Good luck! Are you doing the blower install tomorrow too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-12-2002, 08:09 AM

Well I am starting the blower install today (Friday) and hopefully having it finished by Sunday night.

If you unhook the gas tank at the firewall then put supports on it. It will be stable. Undo the two hooks and slide it out of the way.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-12-2002, 09:22 AM

Or you can use a good hydraulic jack with plywood under the tank. Have someone there to keep it steady while you lower it.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-12-2002, 09:28 AM

Re: Fuel Pump Install on '98 GT & Where to Get Walbro GSS317?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hans_Moleman
Also, where can I get one? I was checking out JD's Performance and they don't have the 317 listed on their web page, only the 307, 340, and 342.

Thanks,
Matt
I have a brand new 317 that came with my Novi2000. I don't need it because I already have a 317 that came with my Novi1000. Anyway, if you want it, I'll give to ya for $75. Like I said, it's brand new and still in the plastic bag that it came in.
Let me know. You can email me at [email protected]
I'll pay for the shipping.
-Randy
post #7 of 9 Old 04-12-2002, 11:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Don't sweat it. Its a piece of cake. A walk in the park. Anyway, keep us posted on your install and first impressions when taking it for the "test drive". I recently finished my install and finally got to see what she had today (damn rain). I love it!
Mac h-pipe (w/mil eliminators)
Flowmaster cat-back
FRPP 3.73 gears
Mac shifter
Mac springs
Cobra R rims/Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 255/45ZR-17

Last edited by 96MustangMike; 04-12-2002 at 11:21 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-12-2002, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Fuel Pump Install on '98 GT & Where to Get Walbro GSS317?

Quote:
Originally posted by nitz
I have a brand new 317 that came with my Novi2000.
Cool, I'll e-mail you shortly. Thanks!
post #9 of 9 Old 04-12-2002, 10:15 PM

Hey Moleman, you ever go on the Eagles site? If you do, I'm FarmboyEagle over there..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement