how loud is the v2-sq? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-11-2002, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
how loud is the v2-sq?

hey, looks like the time to get the blower is drawing ever nearer...how loud is the quiet vortech blower? i want something that's silent at idle, but that "speaks up" under WOT. will this fit the bill?
gino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-11-2002, 07:47 PM
Corral Charter Member

They are "quiet' but they are not "silent". An educated ear will hear it immediately.

E5.0
2006 Harley Davidson SE V-Rod
2009 Harley Davidson CVO Springer
2010 Corvette ZR1
post #3 of 19 Old 04-11-2002, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

does it get loud when you crank it?
hey, one more question. on the mongoose car, you are running the stock block, correct? i plan to keep a safe tune at 8lbs for a while. with that, am i going to have to worry about "getting on it" or is that pretty safe? i live in a city, so most of my spirited driving consists of rolling 2nd gear blasts to about 4500 rpms. not too bad. i know the whole deal about boost not being safe at all on our cars, but is it really UNsafe?
gino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-11-2002, 10:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Thumbs up

killerpony,

I had the opportunity to ride in a Vortech V-2 SQ'ed 2000 GT this afternoon.

I am on a "company paid vacation" taking some Microsoft VB courses, and met a real cool guy at New Horizons that has a Steeda prepped 2000 GT.

All I can say is that the whole car was impressive. If I could only use one word to describe that car, it would be 'balanced '.

Anyway, I used to think that I would love the sound of a loud 'charger like my friends Pro-charger, but after hearing the subtle ferocity of the SQ, my mind has changed.

Like snakecharmer said, a trained ear knows what that faint whistle is, but to me it was unobtrusive....like Mozart faintly playing in your favorite restaraunt. Not loud enough to become annoying, but you can choose to listen to it and enjoy at any moment.

Thats the only way I know to describe it. Hope that helps some.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-11-2002, 10:49 PM

I have a V2 S-trim on my 99 Cobra. The v2 is the opposite of what you're looking for. It whines faintly at idle and cannot be heard at all at any other rpm. I'm running the itty bitty pulley on it as well - so if its gonna make noise - mine would be the one to do it.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-12-2002, 02:28 AM

The SQ sound level at idle is comparable to what your AC running at full blast sounds like from outside the car. -You can hear it if you're listening for it. Opting for the S Trim is a whole lot different. You can definately hear an S trim from several feet away from the car at idle. I've been able to pick their sound up from a coupla cars back at a stoplight. The same can be said for a procharger and a Novi. In fact, a Novi sounds rather un-earthly, like a UFO (pretty cool sound, in my opinion) If you have a stock exhaust, you're liable to hear an SQ spooling up at WOT.

I love the SQ for one thing: Major sleeper!...I think there's nothing funnier than seeing a heavily modded ricer or camaro-bird driver not take you seriously because he thinks you're running a stock GT. Then you can romp on it and roll away from them like they're standing still.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-12-2002, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies...i go back and forth sometimes between wanting the sleeper and wanting something that will sound cool. i think i'm going to end up going with the sleeper package
i got smoked on time by a 5.0 with a paxton, and that thing sounded cool as ****! well, decisions, decisions...
post #8 of 19 Old 04-12-2002, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mavi99GT
I love the SQ for one thing: Major sleeper!...I think there's nothing funnier than seeing a heavily modded ricer or camaro-bird driver not take you seriously because he thinks you're running a stock GT. Then you can romp on it and roll away from them like they're standing still.
I am totally with you on this one. It is even worse in my 35th Ann. car because the side emblems often lead people to believe that it is a 6banger if they haven't seen my rear end Once we leave the light though they will get a chance to see my rear!LOL

Few cars...
post #9 of 19 Old 04-12-2002, 11:10 AM

I would describe the sound like a very high pitch whistle. It's louder when first started. My wife followed in the stang while I was driving the Torino. When behind me with my window open I could hear it when she stopped at a light. But I was also listening for it. When you punch it I don't hear the SQ. I have stock exhaust and the exhaust over rides the whistle. Don't worry about hearing it during WOT because you have to concentrate on the driving. I upset the wife. I punched it from a light without warning her. It snapped her neck back and pinned into the seat and hurt her back. She was pissed but I apologized and all is well.

3X black premium 2k1 GT 5 speed ragtop
Drive Train:
FMS 3.73 gears, Vortech SQ, AFM powerpipe, FMS aluminum D/S, Steeda shifter, 80 mm MAF, Steeda Fuel pump, SnowPerformance water injecton, BBK 75MM TB, C&L plenum, SCT chip
Wheels/Tires: 10th anniversary Cobra, Nitto ZR 275 x 40 x17
Suspension:
TKO 5 way (years 87 to 93 for 94+ lowered stangs), Vert Eibach Pro Springs, offset rack bushings, Steeda c/c plates, Steeda subframes w/cross brace, Steeda X2 balljoints and bumpsteer
Interior:
99 Mustang A-pillar covers, Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod, Autometer FP and boost gauges, 03 Cobra headrest
Exchaust:
Steeda catback (Borla) wholesale price
RWHP/360 RWTQ/360 SAE corrected
Very conserative tune.
69 Maroon Torino GT Fastback
Eddie
post #10 of 19 Old 04-12-2002, 01:49 PM

Primetime: (A little off the topic - Forgive me.) Yeah, I'm keeping my 35th anniversary side-emblems for that very same reason. I don't want to give up my secret. On a few occasions, I've seen GT owners putting Cobra emblems on the side of their cars after they've SC'd or 6'ers installing GT emblems. -Not my thing, but hey, what Cobra owner or GT owner would be seriously offended if these guys have the mods to back it up? (Not just engine work.) I would think if you've got the stuff to back up the emblems, then you're not throwing any shame on it, even though it's a little dishonest. However, I have seen a few 6'ers with GT emblems on the side that have done nothing to their cars other than the emblems. -When he get's walked by a Honda Civic, the Civic guy will brag to the end of his days about the time he got a kill on a GT. -Sorry in advance for opening that can of worms, cause I know I'll get flamed by someone who goes bonkers everytime they spot fakers. Just for fun, I'd like to drop a six-banger pony on the sides of my car and go walk a SS or a corvette. -They'd probably go home and hang themselves!

-Back to the subject: Killerpony, I personally like the sleeper sound because, although the sound of a supercharger is cool to alot of gearheads, it sounds like cacophony to just about everyone else. (sort of like being a drummer!!!) . A friend of mine got handed a card in a McDonald's parking lot by a mechanic who heard the sound and offered to fix the problem. (Who'd use a mechanic that couldn't tell the difference between the sound of a blower and a loose fan belt anyway???) It's down to your taste, really. I've seen a few posts from guys who said that they wanted to be heard 'cause they paid a lot of money for it! One final thought - I've seen that some guys have been downright unhappy when they've started the regular S-trim and heard the sound. It can surprise you if you haven't heard it. I'd try to find someone with the S trim to get a listen at it before I made the purchase. -SQ is the way to go if you like sleepers!

post #11 of 19 Old 04-12-2002, 02:58 PM

Not Vortech, but my NOVI is not real noticable at but at 2000 rpms sounds like a jet engine. I am not sure what you are after but it is a nice SC. Good luck.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-12-2002, 03:12 PM

It's really hard to say because two different SQ models don't sound exactly alike.

I have a SQ S-trim (upgraded impeller) on my '97 Cobra and it was dead quiet when I first put it on but gained a tad more whine after the impeller upgrade. Still..very quiet for a blower (just that whistle at idle...all most like an air leak).

My friend has an SQ S-trim (upgraded impeller) on his '97 Cobra and it's pretty darn loud. Not loud like a V1 with it's "rock-crushing" sound at idle, but a very very noticable whine while under any throttle amount. Loud enough for me to hear his blower when his car is behind mine when we are cruising out of a parking lot.

I prefer the SQ, I like maintaining as much sleeper as possible.

Tom Crews

1997 Cobra coupe (White, Black leather)
16psi Vortech Enhanced
(Randy Haywood tuned)
571 rwhp @ 6,700rpm
462 rwtq @ 6,000rpm
------
1998 Cobra Convertible (Laser Red, Tan leather)
264 rwhp @ 5,600rpm
268 rwtq @ 4,200rpm
------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-12-2002, 03:34 PM

Here is my V1 S-Trim running a 3.6" pully...

At idle

On the Dyno at WOT

I've heard quite a few V2's that are louder

Seabass
post #14 of 19 Old 04-12-2002, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

hey, i couldn't play the clips you posted. can u email them to me? try [email protected]
post #15 of 19 Old 04-12-2002, 11:35 PM

They are 400K each...how big is your yahoo account? Regular old Windows Media player should play them just fine. I changed them this morning from asf's because I guess others couldn't play them. Anyone else have problems? I'll encode them to realplayer or quicktime or something if many others do.

Killerpony...try to rightclick and save them on your computer and play them that way.

Seabass
post #16 of 19 Old 04-13-2002, 01:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Quote:
Originally posted by killerpony
hey, i couldn't play the clips you posted. can u email them to me? try [email protected]
Gino,
The V-1 is what I have in my car and you remember what that sounds like ------- definately NOT a sleeper by any means, you can hear it a half a block away and it sounds like it is crushing rox at idle But I don't want anything sleeper any longer, I'm going for the "IF you feel froggy, try me" look

SOHC/DOHC Corral Moderator
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Part-Owner,
and

'00 Ford F-350 7.3 Turdbo Diesel

'03 Droptop Cobra
'99 Cobra "10 Second Street car" (SOLD!)
Blown GT ([email protected]) ---> SOLD
'00 Camaro (Couple of bolt-ons) - [email protected] (Jun 2011).
AOL: Blown284
post #17 of 19 Old 04-13-2002, 02:56 AM

No rock crushing here with my V1
post #18 of 19 Old 04-14-2002, 01:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Try these

https://www.corral.net/sounds/v2sq/2.wav

and

https://www.corral.net/sounds/magnaflow/3.wav

The link will let you know and by the way there is a air wrench blowing that is making that distinct sound for a second. This car is on a dyno as it is being recorded and if doesnt work i got it off the front page on corral right before you go to the forums and they have the v2-sq topic and have it on the board just scroll down and it is in the grey box.

Good luck and enjoy
post #19 of 19 Old 04-14-2002, 01:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (21)
http://www.tealnet.com/multimedia/re...-1 sounds like Can you hear it? No hiding it, that's for sure!

SOHC/DOHC Corral Moderator
Founder,

Part-Owner,
and

'00 Ford F-350 7.3 Turdbo Diesel

'03 Droptop Cobra
'99 Cobra "10 Second Street car" (SOLD!)
Blown GT ([email protected]) ---> SOLD
'00 Camaro (Couple of bolt-ons) - [email protected] (Jun 2011).
AOL: Blown284
Sponsored Links
Advertisement