Need a new HELMET, any suggestions? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Need a new HELMET, any suggestions?

Well the last time I went ot the track the tech gave me a bunch of crap about my helmet not being Snell 95 approved. I used this helmet all last year and no one cared, but I am going to the FFW in GA and I don't want to get screwed.

Does any one know of a good affordable helmet I can purchase. I am looking for something that is open-faced, but I will go with a standard type if the price is right. I wanted to keep the price down around $150, or am I just dreaming.

Summit cares a few, but they are expensive. Can I get a good one at my local motorcyle shop?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 10:48 AM

I've been looking for the same information. I had no clue helmets were so expensive.

post #3 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 10:51 AM

Try Racer Wholesale. This is the helmet I got from them.

http://www.racerwholesale.com/Mercha...Racing+Helmets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Atlanta_GTer. How do you like the helmet? Is the quality good. I only need a helmet for the 1 or 2 times a month I race.

Any one else?
post #5 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 12:29 PM

I bought that same helmet from them. Good fit & quality, you won't be disappointed.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

What do you think about the cheaper model (GF650 $99)? Why did you pick the more expensive one? The only difference seems to be the interior fabric.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 01:00 PM

I just picked up a Bell full face for $125 from their factory closeouts I think they had some open faced as well avaiability depends on size though
post #8 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SliderGT
Thanks Atlanta_GTer. How do you like the helmet? Is the quality good. I only need a helmet for the 1 or 2 times a month I race.
It's very comfortable and well made. I'm 6' 2" so the only disadvantage is the helmet touches the roof. Kind of a pain in the ass, especially running SCCA events. It's a tight fit, but hell that has nothing to do with the helmet.

Quote:
What do you think about the cheaper model (GF650 $99)? Why did you pick the more expensive one? The only difference seems to be the interior fabric.
The big difference is the snell rating. However, it may be the fabric that gives it the higher rating. Due to the fact that it has a fire proof liner.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

How much was the total cost for the GF750, including shipping and stuff, if you can remember?

Here is some quick info on the Snell rating that I found on the web.

"M" is for motorcycle (not marketing), "SA" is for cars. The primary differences are that the SA has a fire-resistant lining and the shell responds differently to impact. I think the M crushes, while the SA stays rigid.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys.

How much was the total cost for the GF750, including shipping and stuff, if you can remember?
Well I didn't pay shipping because Racer Wholesale is just 15 minutes away from my office. Are you by chance coming to FFW next weekend? If so, you could pick it up then. Just a thought.

post #11 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Atlanta_GTer

Well I didn't pay shipping because Racer Wholesale is just 15 minutes away from my office. Are you by chance coming to FFW next weekend? If so, you could pick it up then. Just a thought.
I am going to FFW, but I am coming from the wrong direction. It would probably cost me more to drive to Atlanta then it would be to ship it. I guess I will just have to suck it up. $149 + shipping is not that bad of a price, even if shipping is $20.

I think I am going to order the GF750 later this afternoon. Thanks for all the help.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 02:18 PM

Quote:

I am going to FFW, but I am coming from the wrong direction. It would probably cost me more to drive to Atlanta then it would be to ship it. I guess I will just have to suck it up. $149 + shipping is not that bad of a price, even if shipping is $20.

I think I am going to order the GF750 later this afternoon. Thanks for all the help.
Well I'll make you a deal if you like. You can call Racer Wholesale up and pay for it over the phone. I am going there this afternoon or tomorrow and can pick it up for you. You would have to trust me that I would bring it to FFW. Now that my friend is up to you. You can email me if you would like in order to receive my office phone number and we can discuss further if you like.
Just an offer to ya. Let me know.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-11-2002, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the offer Atlanta_GTer, check your email.

I just picked one up for $156, and that includes shipping. FFW here I come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement