1. drive around the water box (NOT through it)
2. back to the edge of the waterbox
3. spin em once or twice around to get some water on them
4. roll forward
5. do a not so short, but not long burn out (it helps to have someone next to you (spectator) who can tell you when you are getting some good smoke, 5 or so seconds)
6. Do not dry hop.
7. Roll it up to the line
8. bring the rev's up to 3500 or so (you want to be above the IMRC threshold, or you'll blow away your tires 10 feet out when they open)
9. Lightst camera action
10. feather the clutch as you bring up the revs as your taking it out of the hole
11. punch it
i had best results (1.80's on your exact tires on both stock rims and cobra r's) spinning it a bit out of the hole. i settled around 17lbs of warm tire pressure. get a good guage - you want it to be accurate. front tires at least at 35lbs, though many go to 45 and 50.
good luck, have fun, and be safe. report tomorrow how you did.
97 cobra, with 2001 4v crate motor - stock from throttle body to cats
Best ET w/this combo: 13.44 @ 105.25 w/ 1.983 60' on street rubber.