BBK L/T Installed. (Couple of problems) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-10-2002, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
BBK L/T Installed. (Couple of problems)

After installing the headers I reinstalled everything else. Problem #1 is I now have approx. 1/2" play in steering wheel. Why? Problem #2 is the passenger side header rest on the K-member. For this problem I am going to try to adjust the position of the motor on the k-member. Hopefully this will provide the clearance I need. Any thoughts?

2007 Mustang Shelby GT - No Mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-10-2002, 01:55 PM

Did you get the steering shaft bottom fitting completely onto the steering rack fitting?

post #3 of 8 Old 04-10-2002, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the steering shaft slide back on easily.

I am going to get back under the car tonight to evaluate the steering problem. From what I recall the steering column only connects one way and has an indention on the bottom where the bolt screws in the ensure it does not slide off. With out having looked at the steering columbn since the install its hard to say. I will keep you posted. Just thought I would throw this problem out here in hopes someone else might have experienced this problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-10-2002, 02:50 PM

my passenger side header hit the tip of the k member. just a little, but man, what vibration! so, i lifted the engine ever so slightly and dremeled off the edge. done.

99gt 5spd, white -gone-
95gt 5spd, opal frost metallic -gone-
98 Cobra, Lazer Red -gone-
99gt anniversary 5spd, -gone-
96 Cobra Convertible---Garage QUEEN!
post #5 of 8 Old 04-10-2002, 06:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Yup, mine hit the passenger side also. Luckily, I have a tubular unit on the way, or at least I think.

'11 GT
'87 Turbo Coupe
'94 F-150
post #6 of 8 Old 04-10-2002, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kcsburk
Yes, the steering shaft slide back on easily.

I am going to get back under the car tonight to evaluate the steering problem. From what I recall the steering column only connects one way and has an indention on the bottom where the bolt screws in the ensure it does not slide off. With out having looked at the steering columbn since the install its hard to say. I will keep you posted. Just thought I would throw this problem out here in hopes someone else might have experienced this problem.
Yeah, that's right about the indentation. I've had mine on and off a few times trying to fit a Flaming River shaft and haven't had the problem you're describing, so I don't know any other advice I could give. The whole steering shaft is pretty simple on these cars. There is a plastic sleeve where the shaft passes through the firewall and one bolt that holds the shaft to the steering wheel assembly so not a lot of things that could go wrong.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-11-2002, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Update!

I have corrected all problems and have the car back on the road. The problem with the steering shaft was I screwed the bolt in the wrong side of the shaft therefore the Steering shaft was not torqued down only the bolt was. This may be hard to understand unless you have actually seen the end of the steering shaft.

I received the BBK catted H-pipe, and installed it. With the L/T's and the catted pipe my exhaust is more quiet compared to the stock H-pipe with flows welded in. I still have the O/R pipe so I might keep it for track days and Weekend cruising around town.

Performance:

I pic up a fair amount of TQ and HP down low in the RPM's but seem to have suffered in the upper RPM's. Give me a few more days to get a good feel for it.

Later

post #8 of 8 Old 04-11-2002, 09:37 PM

Im still waiting for mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement