Just installed the new Accufab TB on my '97' Cobra - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thumbs up Just installed the new Accufab TB on my '97' Cobra

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a difference over the stock Cobra TB. I picked up my Accufab TB from John this morning & spent a couple of hrs this afternoon grinding out the stock center section of the upper intake manifold to make room for the single blade Accuab TB. It took me about 4hrs total from start to finish for the complete install. The car started right up and purred like a kitten. The car has never idled so smoothly like it does with the Accufab TB. I use to have a up & down rpm idle probably beacuse of the AFM powerpipe. That is gone; plus it used to idle a little lower than I liked it too. Now it idles at least 200 rpm higher than it use to & I'am very pleased with that. I just went for a test drive & it really drives completely different. My butt O meter tells me that I picked up some HP. Also the driveability it great!!!!!!!!!! I personally want to thank John M. at Accufab for the great job he did in making the best 4.6 modular TB that you can buy. On a scale from one to ten; I give it a ten without question. Everybody needs to have this Accufab TB on their 4.6 Cobra. Thanks again John Mihovetz " the worlds fastest 4.6 modular drag car period"!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 05:53 AM

1. What other mods are done to your car?

2. Track times / dyno numbers, whatever.

post #3 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Wink

DOHC_josh: Stock longblock with these bolt ons--Paxton Novi 2000 S/C , AFM powerpipe, Fasttrack IC, Aeromotive fuel pressure req., red Magnecore Ignition wires, Jacobs DIS Ignition wires, JBA shorty headers, Canton 7qt race oil pan & windage tray, Steeda radiator, Champion RS9YC spark plugs gapped at .040, 80mm Pro-M MAF, Accufab TB, 12# boost at 6500 rpm, Bassani X-pipe & Magneflow 2.5 catback, '99' t-45 trans with '99' 11 inch stock clutch, 4:10 gears with Dallas Speed Cal, Summit rear cover, Roush lower control arms, Bilstein shocks front & rear, FMS aluminum drive shaft, 245/40/17 comp TA tires on front stock wheels, 275/45/17 comp TA tires on back mod. 10 inch wheels, Steeda Tri- ax shifter with Hurst /boot /shifter/knob, Autometer tri-pod guages ( boost-A/F-fuel pres.) Optima red top battery in rear with Summit aluminum box, '97' Cobra Blk/Blk. Diablosport Chip tuned to 465 RWHP & 378 RWTQ at 6500 RPM. Car has never been to the strip. Richard ( 4.6 Cobra )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 09:48 AM

Just once, i would like to hear and see results with these TB's on a N/A Cobra
post #5 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 09:53 AM

Rich I like the Accufab TB as well definatly a step up from the FRPP oval single blade TB and 3x better than the stock unit. I like the low-end and mid-range response, although the FRPP and the Accufab are comparable on the big end, over-all for N/A the Accufab is definatly the choice. Cant wait to do the testing with Shaun at the dyno next week. The Accufab vs. FRPP on my N/A Cobra, and if Shaun is willing the same test on his blown Cobra, but I have a strong feeling what TB is going to prove better..BTW Rich you were supposed to give me a ride in your BEAST last night, cant wait to see the Fast Track inner-cooler you installed, give me a ring...DA Snake boy!!!
post #6 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 11:04 AM

I keep hearing people with larger throttle bodies saying it gives them better part throttle response...

Don't larger throttle bodies only improve the wide open throttle conditions? If you needed more airflow at part throttle, you'd just give it a little more throttle.

Or do they open quicker, giving a different perception, or am I misunderstanding?

Just curious...

John Slagel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Forged internals,intercooled Novi [email protected],523 rwhp, best time [email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- pretty much stock

- My Kenne-Bell site/forums
post #7 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 11:38 AM

that post sounded like a damn advertisement.....when do we see dyno results...this seat of the pants thing isnt any good at all
post #8 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 12:31 PM

Well I guess "seat of the pants" wont mean anything to the person who drives thier Stang around with thier head up thier A$$. But for someone who pays close attention to the performance of thier Stang and knows changes in the engine it means alot. But ultimatly the track is the best proving ground..DA Snake boy!!
post #9 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 12:34 PM

duane, so your saying i drive around with my head up my ass? if so....go **** yourself...you dont even know me.......yeah throttle response is one thing but you cant tell 10hp on a dyno by seat of the pants when your already at 420 or so rwhp. give me a break....either dyno or track times will be the only true test....so get your head out of your ass... have a great day
post #10 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 12:46 PM

I got some dyno numbers from installing the accufab TB. When I get home tonight I will post them. But let me say this the TB made power EVERYWHERE. I seem to remember gaining arround 15rwhp and 15 rwtq at peak. Of course I did have the ****ty stock TB on before the swap. I will post actual numbers tonight along with graphs.

Dave

Dave Guy NMRA DR 10015

[email protected] 1.36 60ft on BFG 325's
post #11 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 12:59 PM

If your attentive at all, you should be able to notice a difference with a simple spark plug change to the engine, and we all know that doesnt give you "10 RWHP"..Personally I trust Richards assesment of the TB, he's is very intuative when it comes to his Stang and has no ties to any Aftermarket group..DA Snake Boy!!!

Last edited by duane v; 04-10-2002 at 01:02 PM.
post #12 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 02:32 PM

ok duane...i forgot you must be gods gift to engine performance...
post #13 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 02:37 PM

YA, AND DONT YOU FORGET IT!!! DA Snake Boy!!!
post #14 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 02:40 PM

alli have to say is being "attentive" to your motor and dyno numbers are competely two different things.....where are the numbers? i'm not saying i'm not a believer in the throttle body i'm just saying seat of the pants wont make me buy one.....
post #15 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 02:52 PM

Who said they are the same (Dyno, SOTP & Attenitive) Plus I dont think anyone is pressuring you to buy one, were just posting our hands on experience with the Accufab TB. Trust me nobody is holding a gun to your head..DA snake boy!!
post #16 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 05:59 PM

where did you buy the TB and for how much?

1998 Chrome Yellow Cobra

MODS:
Bassani X-Pipe w/CATS, Bassani Cat-Back, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, WMS Velocity Tube/87mm PRO-M Combo, 17X9 Cobra R's.

Suspension:
Bilstein Shocks & Struts, H&R Race Springs, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, Maximum Motorsports Lower Control Arms, FRPP Upper Control Arms, 2003 Cobra bump-steer Tie Rod ends, MM Energy Spring Isolators, Steeda Subframes.
post #17 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Yellow Boy: I purchased my Accufab directly from the manufacture ( accufab ) I believe the price is $369.00 with out sales tax ( if you live in Calif. ) and shipping.
post #18 of 32 Old 04-10-2002, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Venomous Mofo
Just once, i would like to hear and see results with these TB's on a N/A Cobra
I should be finishing getting mine on tomorrow. It's all back together except I am waiting for a EGR gasket. Gasket is suppose to be here in the morning and boy I can't wait to try it!

96 Ford Cobra, PHP Stage 2 intake, All the bolt-on's, SVO Ceramic Headers, Bassani Off-Road X-pipe, Borla XR-1's, and The New 4.56's are in!

95 ZX9R Ninja 136RWHP/ 70RWTQ [email protected]
06 2WD TrailBlazer SS 6.0L LS2 395HP Stock
post #19 of 32 Old 04-11-2002, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by a10hogplt
duane, so your saying i drive around with my head up my ass? if so....go **** yourself...

I have a friend here who just purchased an Accufab T/B so once he gets that installed... if he doesn't post it i will whether the results are as good as some of these people claim to be. Personally i would love to get rid of my SVO but for now, i got other parts that takes precedence than a t/b.
post #20 of 32 Old 04-12-2002, 12:03 AM

Angry

DAMN IT, my F**king EGR gasket didn't come in today! You can't get anything you need, when you need it, in this back woods POS town that I live in!!! They said that it will be here tomorrow, we'll see.

96 Ford Cobra, PHP Stage 2 intake, All the bolt-on's, SVO Ceramic Headers, Bassani Off-Road X-pipe, Borla XR-1's, and The New 4.56's are in!

post #21 of 32 Old 04-12-2002, 04:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Will this TB make any noticeable difference on a basically stock motor?
post #22 of 32 Old 04-12-2002, 07:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally posted by ALLNTRL
DAMN IT, my F**king EGR gasket didn't come in today! You can't get anything you need, when you need it, in this back woods POS town that I live in!!! They said that it will be here tomorrow, we'll see.
bummer bro...

Post your N/A numbers when you get them. We're all interested!

thanks in advance...

H/C/KB 01 Cobra
post #23 of 32 Old 04-13-2002, 02:59 AM

Finished the install of the Accufab T.B. late this afternoon but, I didn't get much of a chance to drive it afterwords. I had plans for tonight (wife's B-day) and was running late! Anyway, I will be trying it out tomorrow and will post my impressions of it.

post #24 of 32 Old 04-13-2002, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Finished the install of the Accufab T.B. late this afternoon but, I didn't get much of a chance to drive it afterwords. I had plans for tonight (wife's B-day) and was running late! Anyway, I will be trying it out tomorrow and will post my impressions of it.
Kewl! While you at it.. if possible take some pics with it on.
post #25 of 32 Old 04-13-2002, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by svtcobra808

Kewl! While you at it.. if possible take some pics with it on.
Sorry but, I don't have a digital camera to take any pics with.

post #26 of 32 Old 04-13-2002, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Why dont you just go down to the parts store and get some gasket material and make one? Its only an oval gasket with 2 holes for the bolts and 1 hole in the middle for the gasses. Should take you 2 minutes to make.

James

The Internet's 1st Mustang Enthusiasts Club
post #27 of 32 Old 04-13-2002, 06:49 PM

Well guys--as promised, here are my first impressions of the New Accufab T.B. When I first cranked the car with the new T.B., the car wouldn't idle smoothly but, I later found out that I would have to do an idle re-learn for the EEC. After disconnecting the battery and going thru the re-learn process the car seems to idle fine. John didn't mention anything about that, but for some of you guys who are changing to the Accufab, thought you might want to know. Throttle response seems to be slightly better but very little difference from the BBK 62mm at low RPM. As far as a power gain, I can't tell any difference until the car reaches 4500 RPM, but from there to redline, the car pulls much stronger. I would say 7-8 RWHP in the upper RPM range. I think it would probably equal 1/10 in the quarter mile on a N/A bolt-on car. Also, keep in mind that the more air flow modifications that are done (such as a blower) the T.B. should show much more of a substantial gain. As far as the T.B. itself, it is a very high quality piece and I would recommend it to anyone.

My $.02

Last edited by ALLNTRL; 04-14-2002 at 04:15 AM.
post #28 of 32 Old 04-13-2002, 09:31 PM

Thanks bro. What was involved on the install? Any cutting?
post #29 of 32 Old 04-14-2002, 04:46 AM

All you have to do is to pull the upper intake hat and cut the center divider post out that was in between the stock intake openings for the stock T.B. plates to open into. Now, the Accufab T.B. will open without hitting the just removed intake divider, bolt the hat back on, the T.B., reattach all electrical connections, hoses, etc., disconnect your battery and go thru the re-learn for the idle and you should be all set to go.

post #30 of 32 Old 04-14-2002, 05:14 AM

I didn't ge the Accufab, but I do have the BBK 70mm. After a couple of weeks, my impression of this seems to be pretty close to the impressions
ALLNTRL mentioned on the Accufab. Their specs seem to be comparable. Idling was a problem at first and it even died a coupla times in the first few days, until I re-initiated the EEC learning process (Apparently, it didn't take the first time???). That seems to have done the trick. SOTP is all I have to go by in my location 'cause there isn't a dyno within a 1000 miles. On a blown or heavily modified GT/Cobra, the TB difference should be easily felt and dyno results should easily show the difference, but for a lightly modified ride, it might not be too noticeable. Whether it developes real HP/TQ would be conjecture on my part, but the throttle response is certainly much better than stock.
post #31 of 32 Old 04-14-2002, 10:41 AM

Ok now for my question. I am having a Kenne Belle 1500 installed next week. I am curiouse to see if I should go ahead and get the accufab TB or a FRPP oval ? And what gains would I see?
Here is the way it will be set-up in the next week.
KB 1500
8LB pulley
42# injectors
80mm ProM MAF
255lph intank fuel pump
9mm wires w/ 2 step colder plugs
180* thermostat
Phantom A Pillar mount gauges- boost/vaccum-fuel pressure
New chip and tune at Houston Performance.
post #32 of 32 Old 04-14-2002, 03:26 PM

Wipeout, you might send John an E-mail as I am sure he could answer your question better than me but, IMO I think you could gain around 15 RWHP and 20 RWTQ with the Accufab T.B. on a Kenne Bell blown setup. I know guys that are getting good gains on Lightning's by changing to the SVO single blade and with them being a roots blown setup as well and the Accufab performing better than the SVO, I think my guess on the gains would be very close. Again JMO. Try it and see.

Last edited by ALLNTRL; 04-14-2002 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement