Do mods void your warranty????? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-09-2002, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Do mods void your warranty?????

I have ordered a 03 cobra and am planning on putting exaust, a k&n, and a shifter in it but i dont want to if it voids my warranty.If any of you could help me out by answering this i would appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-09-2002, 10:04 PM

i think with those parts the only warranties you'll void are on the original parts...shouldn't affect the engine warranties or any other warranty...headers might cause you some trouble with the dealer though, I'm not sure...anyone else know about this?

Jim

STLMustangs.com(Administrator)
post #3 of 11 Old 04-10-2002, 12:02 PM

I think some mods like o/r h pipe could void your whole warranty. But if you have a cool ford dealer or the dealer you bought the car from it should be ok. If the dealer you bought the car from tries to give you sh** just tell them this will be the last car you buy from them and im sure that will straighten things out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-10-2002, 12:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
My one friend bought a sound system for his focus, and when the computer blew up, ford voided the warranty b/c he added the system (and a neon glow kit). So depending on what you do, it might void the warranty.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-10-2002, 12:07 PM

Here it is in black and white:

"The law relating to the other types of warranties is similar. Federal law, regulating to one extent or another, expressed and implied warranties is very clear: That warranties may not be conditioned upon the use of the manufacturer's parts or services unless those parts or services are provided free of charge. Therefore, the expressed and implied warranties cannot be voided merely because aftermarket parts are installed on a vehicle. The warranties can be voided only where the installation of an aftermarket part is DIRECTLY responsible for that failure which gives rise to the warranty claim."

This was taked directly from the 'Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1987'
post #6 of 11 Old 04-10-2002, 12:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Your warranty will not cover items/parts that the dealership had determined were caused by an aftermarket part. Aftermarket parts also include Ford Racing parts. They have the right to turn away customers that have modified their cars for warranty work. For example, if a customer has modified their [GT] engine with a Bullitt intake from Ford, the dealership has the right to refuse warranty work if the idle is incorrect. Keep in mind, this does not affect the warranty coverage if the power mirrors don't work. Warning though, you ARE at the discretion of the dealership so kissing a little butt helps. I have heavily modified my 94 GT before it was 9 months old and had no problems getting warranty work and it had a ton of work done to it. They even replaced the transmission after 2 years after the modification but they have records of me complaining about the trans before the modifications. The dealership told me that they do have the right to refuse the trans claim but did it anyhow.

Think about it, why should Ford pay for parts and labor for something someone else did???

2005 Cadillac CTS-V
- '96 Cobra 13.45 at 104.458 mph
- '89 GT
- '94 GT Convertible 13.905 at 100.41 mph
post #7 of 11 Old 04-10-2002, 12:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
It's basically comon sence. If the mod you did was directly involved in a part breaking they may not fix it. If you get a shifter, exhaust, chip, and pullies then snap you D/S at the track they should still repace it. Now if you tow your car to them and it's got 10" slicks on it they may not fix it...

Cammed 01 Cobra 337/345
06 f250 SD

Last edited by elyrain; 04-10-2002 at 01:54 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-10-2002, 01:30 PM

I would guess Ford will be "picky" about honoring warranty claims from dealers on the 03 Cobra, which means dealers will be careful about what warranty work they do, before checking with Ford. After all, they have to be reimbursed from Ford, so they can pay their people, overhead, etc.

I would guess they will be very "picky" about any mods that change the A/F or/and any changes in the basic tune. This will include changes to the computer with chips, better flowing air filters, oiled air filters, any exhaust changes that improve exhaust flow (more air in and out can cause lean conditions they will claim) , or exhaust changes that are illegal under federal law such as O/R pipes etc. Gear changes could/would be viewed as performancing enhancing for competition, and I guarantee they will be looking for rubber in fender wells.

Just remember, unless you have a relative who is a lawyer, your warranty is pretty much what Ford says it is, no matter what you think Federal law says! Besides...Ford is mostly correct...most of the mods you do is to make these cars faster on the strip, which clearly voids your warranty. (except for electric windows and stuff like that) Just be careful with your mods if you can't afford to pay for your problems yourself . MHO

Ralph Greene
post #9 of 11 Old 04-10-2002, 05:38 PM

There's what Ford *SHOULD* do and what they *ACTUALLY* do...

I modded my wheels.. I put some nitto 245/45R17 tires on them. I broke a halfshaft, they told me it was 'misuse' and now they've told me that not only will they not warranty it, but that there's a possibility that since it's documented 'misuse' that the rest of the drivetrain's warranty is now void.

To say that I'm livid.. is far from an accurate estimate. I'm thinking about hiring an attorney.

I'm going to fix the car myself. I'm tempted to send them a bill for my time, the cost of the parts, the cost of the attorney, the cost of the tow bills, as well as the cost of a rental car for the duration of the event. I may even throw in the cost of extending the warranty if I feel lucky.

Ford warranty service =

Last edited by p0lar; 04-10-2002 at 05:47 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-10-2002, 06:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Actually I'm pretty sure in most states you can get your extended warrenty back if you haven't gon over the 3years or 36k miles yet. Even if you have you should still be able to get a % of the warrenty back. Say if you bought a 50k warranty and have gone 25k on it you should be able to get 50% back. It's kinda like paying for car insurance. I would take it to another dealer. If you do sue them you most likely will not get any money back for your time.

Cammed 01 Cobra 337/345
06 f250 SD
post #11 of 11 Old 04-10-2002, 06:14 PM

I really don't want to litigate.. it has just been a rough week and I'm unhappy about how they treated me. I am also unhappy with the fact that they threatened to void the rest of the warranty.

I'll cool off before long and return to my senses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement