Belt change requires removal of supercharger. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-09-2002, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Belt change requires removal of supercharger.

That's what Vortech told me tonight. Apparently the main bracket along with the supercharger must be taken off to get the belt to go around the vortech pulley. I think that sucks. I mean it's not like this won't happen sometime on a road trip in the future. Before, all you needed was a new belt and a 1/2" ratchet. Now it's a pain in the a$$. Just my gripe. The turbo guys will love this one.

dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-09-2002, 10:02 PM

yes its true you must remove the s/c and the bracket , lol... i spent part of my sunday changing my idler pulley . oh what fun , but it was worth the experiance .. have to take the bitter with the sweet ..

post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2002, 11:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
errr....wrong answer. i personally changed a belt on a 97 cobra with the vortech s/c. just had to loosen the blower to get the belt to pass the pulley next to it. it took two of us about 3 hours. be careful retightening the blower b/c we stripped one of the bolts going into the aluminum block! make sure you have the routing writtten down, cause it gets confusing! had to feed it up from the bottom onto the blower pulley first.

11 KB GT at 15psi
11 CTSV
12 F350
11 Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-10-2002, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stroked or blown?
errr....wrong answer. i personally changed a belt on a 97 cobra with the vortech s/c. just had to loosen the blower to get the belt to pass the pulley next to it. it took two of us about 3 hours. be careful retightening the blower b/c we stripped one of the bolts going into the aluminum block! make sure you have the routing writtten down, cause it gets confusing! had to feed it up from the bottom onto the blower pulley first.
That may be true for your year and for your model but for the 99+ Mustangs, you will have to remove the bracket.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-10-2002, 01:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by GT2KDave

That may be true for your year and for your model but for the 99+ Mustangs, you will have to remove the bracket.
i saw 98 cobra in one of the sigs, thats why i posted...you are probably correct on the later model cars. but, i bet it can be done...

11 KB GT at 15psi
11 CTSV
12 F350
11 Z71
post #6 of 9 Old 04-10-2002, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Either way, 2-3 hours to replace a belt that only seemed to last 10K miles is a bit wasteful not to mention a pain in the butt. I guess I should still carry an extra belt in the trunk but let's face it, if a bearing goes while out on the road somewhere, I'm SCREWED!

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 97 Steeda GT #007
  • 670rwhp ,570rwtq with JT-trim (16psi) and C-116
  • 613rwhp on pump gas
  • Built and Tuned by Modular Powerhouse
  • [email protected]
post #7 of 9 Old 04-10-2002, 11:20 AM

On a 97 GT, you don't have to remove the brakcet. That's only required on 96-98 Cobra's. For a GT, just shove a loop of the belt between the two idlers for the blower, another loop under the idler for the AC, and route the rest. Takes maybe 5 minutes with practice.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-10-2002, 11:29 AM

on my procharger i have to loosen the blower bracket.....slide it out about a half inch so i can get the old belt out and the new belt in....takes me about 30 minutes all together
post #9 of 9 Old 04-10-2002, 11:40 AM

Umm..

All 99+ GT's (dunno about cobras) with the upgraded new design bracket and improved idler pulley require you to remove the blower bracket. It should not take you 2-3 hours..maybe an hour and 15 minutes at most.., all you need to do is back the bolts out on the bracket enough so you can slide the 1 aluminum spacer (about 2-3inches long?) on the right hand side (facing towards the car with hood open). Once this spacer is out, you can run the belt through it's necessary path...then slide the aluminum spacer back on with it's bolt and tighten that puppy back up. With the upgraded blower bracket/idler pulley setup, you have to trim the side of the alternator housing...depending on how much you trimmed, your life can be MUCH easier if you trimmed or cut quite a bit of it off for the belt to slide through.

Those of you with older style 99GT mounting brackets can install a new belt without taking it apart. I believe all Vortech kits now come with the upgraded blower bracket/idler pulley setup.... Mine was unfortunately one of the earlier 99 kits with V1 blower.

Hope this helps!

Later,

SOHC
99 Vortech GT
02 Subaru WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement