Question about JMS Chip and their support... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question about JMS Chip and their support...

Hey all, I am wondering if I have messed up by doing business with JMS as I have had no luck getting my chip back. I sent it to them 10 days ago and I am told, on a daily basis, that they will burn the chip and mail it back over-night (at my expense). I either get "Chris isn't here and he is the only one that can burn the chip" or they are getting ready to burn it. This is very frustrating and I am wondering two things...

One--has anyone else experienced this sort of support and two--should I even be using a mail order chip (versus a tuned burn) with the following mods:

Vortech S-trim
50 Shot Nitrous
430's
Mac o/r H's
255 Walbro in-tank
Pierburg in-line

Thanks!

RMR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 08:49 PM

ttt

post #3 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 08:58 PM

never delt with them. but i would do a dyno tuned chip and stick to jsut the s trim and lose the nitrous i would jsut stick with one power adder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 09:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I recently got a custom chip from JMS and was very pleased with both their service and the results.

If you live in an area that has a dyno and a competent tuner then it surely be advantageous to use the local guy, especially with an SC car. However, if you have to go mail-order then you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone better than JMS. They can only be as effective as the info you send them so if you sent them dyno and mod data then you'll probably find it will be worth whatever wait you have to put up with (within reason) to get their chip.

If they're waiting specifically for Chris to do the programming, then my guess is that they're working in your best interests by not letting anyone else do it.

JMHO

Tom

1998 Bright Atlantic Blue GT Coupe
5-spd., Headswap, Big Bore, 4.30's, blah, blah, blah.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 10:53 PM
Gt

Trader Feedback: (23)
Quote:
Another FYI is I still work a regular job.....and on top of that I do all the motor building and dyno/street tuning....and burn all the custom chips/reburns. We also do our own in house 5 speeds/autos and rearends....so we are a 1 stop shop.

I work typically 19 hours a day.....and the main thing I stress is quality.....we do everything in house....and our "systems" work.
We may not be the cheapest.....but when it works...well you know.

Thank

Chris Johnson
JMS Chip Corp
251-957-1907
www.jmschip.com
No, dealing with JMS is not a mistake. He is one of the best in the biz at what he does. That is one of the reasons he is slow to respond or slow to ship. Swamped with work. And of course he is swamped cause he is that good .

Tony Whetstone
'88 Gt Vert 348 S491 [email protected] 1.22 60' 275 DRs
'02 Gt VT Cam'd! [email protected] Sold
'05 6.0 Excursion
post #6 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 12:16 AM

JMS is a labor of love for Chris. It's not his daytime job. Yes, he knows his stuff and it's normally worth it. Normal turn around time for a reburn is about 3 weeks. Quite often less, almost never more.

Ed

2002 Modular Shootout, 2v Power Adder Champion
1999 GT Perf Red 35th 5.4L 2V DIY Turbo
2002 Ford Mustang GT Vortech V3 Stock 3.6 Pulley CXRacing Intercooler
post #7 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 01:00 AM
Corral Member

Trader Feedback: (11)
chris is the best! enough said.... he does work a regular job "network engineer" that alone says enough about his "brains" and then of course like he said he does other things than just burn chips and tune cars. BUT when you get something from him its 99.99999 percent of the time going to be EXACTLY what you asked for and he is always willing to help you out with any problems or questions you might have.
give it some time... its worth waiting for a few weeks to get the best....
or i suppose you could run down to autozone and get some retard to tune your car in 1 day... blow it up and then be calling cj for a rebuild

lol o well just saying.. give him some time.. hes great

MustangShifters.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brian Windham

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call Our Order Hotline 24/7 TOLL FREE
1-888-324-7939

We carry a full line of Mustang Performance parts. Contact us today with what you need. We have MAC, SPEC, Vortech, Paxton, Steeda, UPR, Maximum Motorsports, Accufab, Pro M, Bosch, Sieman Deka, Granatelli, and much more ready to ship!
post #8 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the info...I am ok with it taking 3 weeks if I am told 3 weeks. Being told daily (maybe you missed that) that it is being done, when in fact it isn't, is very frustrating.

No, I won't run down to Auto Zone but I was thinking maybe Napa <grin>

Thanks again,

RMR

97 Black Cobra

Vortec S-Trim
50 Shot Nitrous
430's
Mac Progressive lowering springs
Steeda Tri-ax
Mac o/r H's (removed Bassni X w/ cats and loving it)
Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers
255 lph Walbro in-tank
Pierburg in-line
JMS Chip
Cobra R hood
275/40's w/ Cobra "R" rims
post #9 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 07:42 AM
Banned

They are good guys at JMS. One thing is they will always tell you Chris isn't there, even if he is.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 8PSI97COBRA
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the info...I am ok with it taking 3 weeks if I am told 3 weeks. Being told daily (maybe you missed that) that it is being done, when in fact it isn't, is very frustrating.

No, I won't run down to Auto Zone but I was thinking maybe Napa <grin>

Thanks again,

RMR

No I didn't miss that. It's an unfortunate downside. I can honestly tell you that with as many chips as they program there are a lot of them there. That means a lot of people calling asking the same questions. They may even really think that it might go out that day or the next.

I guess what I'm saying is don't send it off and in a week be calling wondering where it is. Now if it's been three weeks and you don't have it in your hands call. That's only happened to me once. Guess what, it did leave the next day 2 day Red and not at my costs.

Ed

2002 Modular Shootout, 2v Power Adder Champion
1999 GT Perf Red 35th 5.4L 2V DIY Turbo
2002 Ford Mustang GT Vortech V3 Stock 3.6 Pulley CXRacing Intercooler
post #11 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 10:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
JMS is a great group to deal with. A lil hard to get on the phone every once in a while but good. Chris is top notch. I just had my gears installed and rearend rebuilt and a chip all done in a day. Picked it up and Chris took me for a ride in it to test it out. Personally make sure there was no whine or anything worng with the chip. He perosnally showed me how to use it(not hard I know) but the personal service is a nice touch. JMS gets 2 thumbs up!!!!!

97 White Cobra Coupe -- blower sold. turbo build in progress.

ported 04 heads, Al's ported 01 intake, 9.5 comp forged studded 5.0L stroker AL shortblock, comp cams, big A/A intercooler and Th400
post #12 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 10:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Everyone has an opinion..... I was happy with the chip I got from JMS once upon a time. Was I happy that it took as long as it did ---- NO. Does CJ know his stuff ---- most definately without a doubt.

I opted to get my chips burnt right on the spot from here on out on a dyno while tuning which now in my opinion is the ONLY route to go unless you live in Diego Garcia

I'd just rather have things done right on the spot and not have to worry about mailing chips back and forth and calling to hear "Chris is not here right now and is the only human being that can burn chips".

Good luck.

SOHC/DOHC Corral Moderator
Founder,

Part-Owner,
and

'00 Ford F-350 7.3 Turdbo Diesel

'03 Droptop Cobra
'99 Cobra "10 Second Street car" (SOLD!)
Blown GT ([email protected]) ---> SOLD
'00 Camaro (Couple of bolt-ons) - [email protected] (Jun 2011).
AOL: Blown284
post #13 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 10:52 AM
Gt

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BadAzzGT
Everyone has an opinion..... I was happy with the chip I got from JMS once upon a time. Was I happy that it took as long as it did ---- NO. Does CJ know his stuff ---- most definately without a doubt.

I opted to get my chips burnt right on the spot from here on out on a dyno while tuning which now in my opinion is the ONLY route to go unless you live in Diego Garcia

I'd just rather have things done right on the spot and not have to worry about mailing chips back and forth and calling to hear "Chris is not here right now and is the only human being that can burn chips".

Good luck.
I agree with ya on the best way is to dyno tune it. But it all depends on were you live and whats avalible. Here in Tallahassee. We just got a dyno last year. Would I let them tune my car? No. 2 reasons. 1) They are new to the EFI game 2) they use Stupidchips. (local shop has talked 2 locals to switch to carb/nitrous and one of them was even running a EFI/turbo setup. Just had no local support so he switched. Not very smart, but oh well).

Tony Whetstone
post #14 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Stupidchips
I think it's time to stop using this word. It's insulting and inaccurate. There are some smart people at SuperChip, just like Autologic and Diablo. The mail order chip business is a tough business, and IMHO is very difficult to get it right in the mail. We hear plenty of complaints on this forum about all the mail order chip businesses.

How would you like it if I said Auto-unlogical, or something to that effect?

In the very near future more and more shops will be burning their own chips, and they will be aligned with Autologic, Diablo, SuperChip, and others. Autologic will get some serious competition. The quality of these shop's work will depend mostly on training, experience, and knowledge, not whether it is Autologic, Diablo, or Superchip (or some other chip manufacturer).

MHO

Ralph Greene
post #15 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 11:41 AM
Gt

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Greene

I think it's time to stop using this word. It's insulting and inaccurate. There are some smart people at SuperChip, just like Autologic and Diablo. The mail order chip business is a tough business, and IMHO is very difficult to get it right in the mail. We hear plenty of complaints on this forum about all the mail order chip businesses.

How would you like it if I said Auto-unlogical, or something to that effect?

In the very near future more and more shops will be burning their own chips, and they will be aligned with Autologic, Diablo, SuperChip, and others. Autologic will get some serious competition. The quality of these shop's work will depend mostly on training, experience, and knowledge, not whether it is Autologic, Diablo, or Superchip (or some other chip manufacturer).

MHO
Ya, and there are reasons they were called Stupidchips. Same reason I called them Stupidchips when talkin about the local shop. They do the call up Superchips and download the burn. Still not the same as a tuner who knows what he is lookin at.

Tony Whetstone
post #16 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gt

Ya, and there are reasons they were called Stupidchips. Same reason I called them Stupidchips when talkin about the local shop. They do the call up Superchips and download the burn. Still not the same as a tuner who knows what he is lookin at.

Tony Whetstone
Tony...That's what I'm saying is going to change. Very soon any shop with a dyno will be doing it like JMS, no matter whether they are aligned with Autologic, Diablo, or SuperChips. Diablo and SuperChip are gearing up to deal with this business as we speak with new equipment.

Now getting a shop owner to be as good and experienced as CJ is another issue.

Ralph Greene
post #17 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 03:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I've ordered from JMS a few times, back in 98 with my old car and what not... Was a pretty easy and good exp..

I have since then purchased a new car and I have emailed him 2 times regarding information on a chip for my car. I've never been returned an email. I've tried in Oct of last year, then again in Dec.

I really don't care who reponds to my email, but any response is better than none. I've tried to call once and I believe that day the phone must have been busy for what seems a eternity.

I understand he is a busy man, and he is one of the best out thier. But I will not TRY to contact him anymore. It's unfortunate, but that's a bad practice to not respond to emails.

I will try and do the next best thing and get a custom tune using the autologic software somewhere local.

Shawn

2004 Comp Orange Cobra Vert
1995 Cobra R
2003 Shamu Harley Davidson F150

"Run what you brung & hope you've brung enough"
post #18 of 20 Old 04-11-2002, 09:21 PM

I waited over a month to get my chip from JMS and I lost 2mph in the 1/4 mi. I sent it back a couple of weeks ago and called to talk to Chris about it and he was a complete A$$HOLE on the phone. I will never do buisness with them again. Yes Chris knows his stuff and alot of people have had good luck with JMS but not me.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-11-2002, 09:35 PM

I got my chip from JMS and have had it reburned due to adding lower gears. Could not be happier with the chip. Sure it took a while to get back but when it came in it was done RIGHT the first time. I will be putting in a PI T/C in July and if I need any tuning form shifts etc. I will send my chip back to them. There is no doubt that it will be worth the wait.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-11-2002, 10:15 PM
Gt

Can't please everyone, all of the time. oh well....

Tony Whetstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement