Gear grinding when putting the shifter in reverse...Anyone else??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Angry Gear grinding when putting the shifter in reverse...Anyone else???

This is annoying me already. When I shift into reverse no matter what I do or how I do it grinds. Anyone else have this problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 04:04 PM

Mind does it too. Unless I go to another gear first, I usually go to 5th then to reverse. Even with that, sometimes it won't even go into reverse at all. So I try 1st to reverse, if that doesn't work I put it in neutral, let out the clutch, try again, same sequence. But if I just put the clutch in and go right to reverse...GRIND. Try going to 5th then reverse, works well for me.

'98 GT
Boss330 Racing 2V
ModularMisfits.com
post #3 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 04:08 PM

I have the same problem with grinding. Also have the occasional, not going in. When it won't go in i just put it in neautral, and let the clutch out. If i do this, and try to put it in reverse quickly, it'll grind then as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 04:35 PM

AS FAR AS I KNOW YOU HAVE TO PUT THE CAR INTO FIRST THEN INTO REVERSE IMMEDIATLY AFTER FOR IT NOT TO GRIND. THATS WHAT WHAT EVERYONE TOLD ME WHEN I GOT MY CAR AND IVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT BUT I NEVER KNEW TILL I GOT MY STANG EITHER
post #5 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 04:40 PM

Count me in too. I always have that problem. Usually it takes a combination of letting out the clutch or going back into first. I haven't worried about it too much because I read that this was typical of our cars a couple years ago. But I don't know if the problem lies in the sloppy shifter or in the transmission.

2000 Black GT
5-speed
K&N Air filter
3.73 gears with R.A.C.E. chip
Magnaflows
post #6 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 06:05 PM

I had the same problem with my car. Ever since I started putting it into 1st before reverse I have never had a problem since.
Good Luck
post #7 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 06:24 PM

I have the same problem in my car too and in my Toyota pickup truck. To get them into reverse I have to put it in first and go forward about a foot or two then put it in reverse.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 06:44 PM

Oh Yeah! Me to. It annoys the crap outta me.

2002 Lightning,2016Oxford White Mustang GT M6
post #9 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 04:16 AM

I heard that the 5th-reverse trick works very well. This is because 5th lines up the syncros in the transmission that reverse shares with it. I usually try any of the above tricks when I have that problem though. The Tri-ax actually helped this problem out tremendously. Never any grinds as I can always tell when it is in gear or when it isn't.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 07:29 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Seems like Ford has had this problem forever

Put it in First like some of the guys here do

or

push the clutch down let it up and push it down again and it usually goes it but the car cant be moving at all to do it this way

If you do it by putting it into first then reverse the car can be moving a little it is a safty feature so no one can get it into reverse while going 100 mph except it is too effciant because no one can even get it into reverse as it is

post #11 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 07:40 AM
Banned

[Ford Rep] Ah, don't worry. They all do that. Aint much we can do. [/Ford Rep]
post #12 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 08:11 AM

It's not really a Ford problem. Very few manufacturers put syncros on reverse. What happens is, as soon as you start your car, or if the car is already running, the gears are still turning from friction and momentum even if the clutch is in. When you try to put it in reverse, the gears don't mesh because they're turning at different speeds and/or reverse is not turning at all. For gears other than reverse, the syncros compensate for the different speed of the gears, but reverse has no syncros, so you get a grind. If it's difficult shifting into reverse, simply let out the clutch in neutral, then after depressing the clutch, slowly slide the shifter into reverse. Letting out the clutch in neutral gets all the gears moving so as you shift, the gears will mesh. The trick is not to jam it in, just slide it in. In the old days before transmissions had syncros, you had to double clutch every shift; meaning let out the clutch in neutral between each shift. This lets the gears match speed so they don't grind (much).
post #13 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 08:24 AM

5th to R works for me. If it doesn't go in then, N, let out the clutch, then 5th to R again...
post #14 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. All your recommendation have helped!
post #15 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 10:17 AM

Yes, it does. Try the 5th to R. It works for me. Also just about every car I've owned with manual gears will grind when going into reverse. As some else said, most manufactures don't sync reverse.

3X black premium 2k1 GT 5 speed ragtop
Drive Train:
FMS 3.73 gears, Vortech SQ, AFM powerpipe, FMS aluminum D/S, Steeda shifter, 80 mm MAF, Steeda Fuel pump, SnowPerformance water injecton, BBK 75MM TB, C&L plenum, SCT chip
Wheels/Tires: 10th anniversary Cobra, Nitto ZR 275 x 40 x17
Suspension:
TKO 5 way (years 87 to 93 for 94+ lowered stangs), Vert Eibach Pro Springs, offset rack bushings, Steeda c/c plates, Steeda subframes w/cross brace, Steeda X2 balljoints and bumpsteer
Interior:
99 Mustang A-pillar covers, Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod, Autometer FP and boost gauges, 03 Cobra headrest
Exchaust:
Steeda catback (Borla) wholesale price
RWHP/360 RWTQ/360 SAE corrected
Very conserative tune.
69 Maroon Torino GT Fastback
Eddie
post #16 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 11:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Gibby hit it on the head with that explanation.
I also have a hard time getting it to go in reverse, I just do the 5th to R trick. My old 88 GT had the same problem.
post #17 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gibby
It's not really a Ford problem. Very few manufacturers put syncros on reverse. What happens is, as soon as you start your car, or if the car is already running, the gears are still turning from friction and momentum even if the clutch is in. When you try to put it in reverse, the gears don't mesh because they're turning at different speeds and/or reverse is not turning at all. For gears other than reverse, the syncros compensate for the different speed of the gears, but reverse has no syncros, so you get a grind. If it's difficult shifting into reverse, simply let out the clutch in neutral, then after depressing the clutch, slowly slide the shifter into reverse. Letting out the clutch in neutral gets all the gears moving so as you shift, the gears will mesh. The trick is not to jam it in, just slide it in. In the old days before transmissions had syncros, you had to double clutch every shift; meaning let out the clutch in neutral between each shift. This lets the gears match speed so they don't grind (much).

Thanks for this great explanation. I've always wondered about the reverse problem, and have put together info from about 1/2 dozen different sources! Now I have the definitive answer.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-13-2002, 02:43 AM

SEE THIS THREAD !!!: http://www.dfwstangs.net/vb222/showt...3&referrerid=0

Last edited by blacky2kgt; 04-13-2002 at 06:32 AM.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-13-2002, 02:48 AM

My Mustang has synchronized reverse (Tremec 3650), and my 99 4 cylinder Chevy S-10 also had synchronized reverse (New Venture Gear transmission). FYI.

Jeff
post #20 of 20 Old 04-13-2002, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nomore4bangers
My Mustang has synchronized reverse (Tremec 3650), and my 99 4 cylinder Chevy S-10 also had synchronized reverse (New Venture Gear transmission). FYI.

Jeff
The t-45 reverse gear operates through a constant-mesh, double disconnect system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement