About these sub frame connectors... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
About these sub frame connectors...

For those of you who have purchased sub frame connectors on a daily driven 96-98 mustang what is you honest opinion of how the car feels after the install.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 03:33 PM

A LOT BETTER!!! I've found that my car doesn't bottom out as much as it did because the suspension is hangine off a more sturdy frame and can do its job better. When I shift hard there is very little chasis flex compared to before where I thought the rear end was going to tear out from the car. It goes straight when I shift now. It's probably a lot more noticeable in a convertible, but I couldn't believe how much it helps.

Get them and you won't be dissapointed.

John

John

1996 Black Cobra Vert: sitting in the garage for now
2008 Black Nissan Altima 2.5 S: new daily driver
post #3 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 03:48 PM

What exactly do these do to the car? Is it just better handeling or something? Does it make the ride smoother, rougher? How much and where can I find them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 04:54 PM

The subframe connectors are either rectangular or tubular "strips" of metal that are bolted or welded to the frame. It connects the front subframe to the rear. Since our cars are unibody (don't lower the body onto the frame during production) the chasis can flex and bow pretty badly during aggressive driving. Using subframe connectors basically stiffen up the frame and allows the suspension to work better. This is because it is operating from a sturdy frame rather than a frame that is twisting when it is going through turns or being shifted hard.

I've heard of more than one person without subs, cracking the A pillars on slicks from the excessive body flex.

If you like to drive a little aggressive, the subframes basically allow your car to have a good foundation from which to work from.

You can find them from almost anyone that advertises on the corral or magazines (Steeda, Griggs, MM, etc). They run from about $70 - $200 depending if you get full length (subs that connect all the way to the firewall) or not. Normally you would want the subframes to be welded to the car rather than bolted on because it is stronger.

Hope this helps some.

Hope this helps
post #5 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 05:34 PM

My subs have stiffened up my car considerably. The thing I have noticed most is that the side to side rocking almost completely went away when turning corners. The other thing is that my windows on my vert don't go out of alignment anymore.

'98 Rio Red GT 'vert
post #6 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 07:12 PM

There's a GP going right now on here somewhere that has them for under $70...do a search...they are from motorsport-depot.com, but they aren't for the 96-98 cobras...I ordered mine from there anyways cause they were the zinc coated ones and they were still only $79...should be here tomorrow!

I also posted a thread on Subs too, cause I also didn't know what they looked like on the car...do a search on my name and look for "pics of subframe connectors on car" or something like that...there's a few pictures on there...

Jim

STLMustangs.com(Administrator)
post #7 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by missouri_guy1973
I also posted a thread on Subs too, cause I also didn't know what they looked like on the car...do a search on my name and look for "pics of subframe connectors on car" or something like that...there's a few pictures on there...
I took a look at the pics. How come something that little does so much? Would someone be able to make one? I think I might have to do this bulk buy thing. Thanks for the info guys.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-10-2002, 12:09 AM

Another bit of info in the subject. As I understand it when you get them welded in it is important to make sure they lift the car up by the suspension. If they don’t they might not ride right and they will pop the welds.

This sounds good to me but not sure how true it is…..maybe someone else can confirm this?

--Brian
post #9 of 13 Old 04-10-2002, 06:28 AM

yes, that is correct....they need a drive-on lift that supports the car by the wheels or the axles, not the frame, when they weld sub connectors on...this allows no stress on the frame to prevent later weld cracks...

Jim

post #10 of 13 Old 04-10-2002, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Gee I never knew they made much difference. I would like to get some welded on soon. Hopefully they can salvage some of the lost HP through the frame and body. I want the maximum from my stang. One other question do they add to the noise and vibration. Also what about the added weight. I don't want to add to that either.
Thanks

post #11 of 13 Old 04-10-2002, 07:53 AM

I recently had the MM full length subframe connectors welded in my 98 GT, and I couldn't believe the difference. The car sounded different when I shut the door. A much more solid feeling.

My car is a dailey driver with regular trips to the 1/8 mile Drag strip. The car feels firmer and more responsive. The feedback from the road is more apparent now and handling is much improved. There may be a little more road noise than before, but nothing that isn't livable. I don't have any regrets and highly recommend this upgrade.

If you plan on doing the install yourself then I strongly suggest lifting the car on the suspension during the install. Do not use a chassis lift as this will stress the connectors and can cause a ton of unwanted problems.

Hope this helps

98GT 4.6L 2v Auto

Best 1/8 mile E.T N/A
60 FT______2.106
1/8 ET_____9.34
MPH_______75.86

Best 1/8 mile E.T. NOS 75 shot
60 FT______1.887
1/8 ET_____8.247
MPH_______85.91

88 LX
Work in progress...
post #12 of 13 Old 04-10-2002, 03:17 PM

After I had mine welded on, I noticed a difference before I even got out of the driveway of the shop, they're that good.

99 Saleen S281, #137

Goes:
S-trim, HP pipe, Diablo tune, 83mm MAF, 70mm TB, JBA headers, Magnaflow X-pipe, BAR Upper, 03 Lower, MSD Stacker 8, 03 Cobra pump/tank, 42s, 180* t-stat, PI 2400 stall, Art Carr 4R70W, Jerry's mods, rear girdle, HPM loop, tranny cooler, poly mounts, Canton pan/windage tray
Turns:
GW subs, f/r STBs, complete MM front end
Misc:
rear seat delete, Corbeau seats, clear corners, Clarion deck, gauges, HIDs

374rwhp 359rwt SAE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-10-2002, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BLACK MOMBA
Also what about the added weight. I don't want to add to that either.
Thanks
I just got mine in the mail today, they weigh probably no more than 5lbs each...i got the HPM's that are in the GP, but mine are for the Cobra so I didnt' get the GP price but still they were only $80, nice strong looking pieces...can't wait to get them welded on, just need to find a shop that'll do it cheap and well...

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement