18" tire preferences, looking for input. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 12:32 PM
onerichrunner

Question 18" tire preferences, looking for input.

I am running the Nitto 555ZR's and feel they are not so good for traction. Cornering is just fine but seem to break loose way too easy. Any and all input from 18" experience appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 01:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Nitto is rumoreed to have some help for us before long in the form of an 18" DR in near 26" diameter, or sticky RR tire. Hope rumor is true.

Your other choices are mainly some "summer" dry weather almost RR tires like the BFG KD's in size 295X35X18 (expensive) , with 100 treadwear rating, and a few similar tires. For the mostpart they are reduced tread depth tires for better dry traction, but not as good as DR's.

Ralph Greene
post #3 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 01:12 PM
U.S. Army Active Duty

I have used the Dunlop SP9000 and the Michelin pilots both in 18 inch sizes and have been very happy with all of them. The michelins were the rougher riding tire, most expensive, and lasted as long as the SP9000's but still a good tire. The SP9000 is cheaper (tire rack just lowered there price again), smoother ride, looks real nice, and lasts just as long as the michelins do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 01:14 PM

I hope they get those DRs out soon. I have the Nitto 555's and they hook up good compared to other brands I have had but........

If they don't come out in a few months then I will but those Michelins.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 01:21 PM

Re: 18" tire preferences, looking for input.

Quote:
Originally posted by onerichrunner
I am running the Nitto 555ZR's and feel they are not so good for traction. Cornering is just fine but seem to break loose way too easy. Any and all input from 18" experience appreciated.
I feel your pain. I've been looking for good competition tires for autoxing with the 18" wheels on my Panoz.

In short, here is my advice:

1. Stay away from G-Force tires. They suck.

2. For street tires, Pirelli P0 is pretty good.

3. For competition use, try Hoosiers. But they won't last on on the street.

4. Keep your eyes on Kumho, they will probably start offering more 18" sizes in the Ecsta V700.

Now the long answer:

Tire options for 18" wheels are limited. For competition tires, your choice is Hoosiers or Kumhos. Both are good on the track. The Hoosiers suck (don't last) on the street while the Kumhos can be used as street tires too. Kumhos are my first choice, having used them in the past on a different car with 16" wheels. But the Kumhos have VERY limited selection in the 18" sizes -- and don't make the sizes I need.

Currently, I'm using BFG G-Force R1s. But they don't stick much better than street tires. They are relatively sucky competition tires and have been discontinued because nobody was winning races on them. I got them because they were the only streetable competition tire available in my sizes. Now there is a street version of the G-Force, the G-Force KD. I have not tried them, but based on my experience with the G-Force R1 I'd stay away from them.

As for street tires, the Pirelli P0 tires are pretty good.

1999 Panoz Roadster; autox prepped with various bolt-ons and weight reduction
[We're moving out of state and the Panoz is currently FOR SALE]
post #6 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 01:26 PM

I had Kumhos and they were not good for "hooking up."

I don't remember what type I had. All I remember was they 265/35/r18 -------Ecsta I believe?

I don't do any racing except at the track or street.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KeithCobraUH
I had Kumhos and they were not good for "hooking up."

I don't remember what type I had. All I remember was they 265/35/r18 -------Ecsta I believe?

I don't do any racing except at the track or street.
Kumho has the V700, which is the stickiest tire they make, designed for autox. Heats up quickly and sticks really hard. Made more for cornering than acceleration, but even in acceleration they are way better than any street tire.

Kumho also has the Ecsta V700, which is the "road racing" version of the V700. It is basically the same but takes a bit longer to heat up. Better for road racing, not as good for autocross.

Kumho only makes the Ecsta V700 in 18" sizes. I wish they had V700s in 18" sizes, but they don't.

1999 Panoz Roadster; autox prepped with various bolt-ons and weight reduction
[We're moving out of state and the Panoz is currently FOR SALE]
post #8 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 01:49 PM

Hey, if you're looking for a bang for the buck, they are having a special on Sumitomos on tirerack.com @189.00 per 285/35/18 you can't beat it, plus my buddy runs these on his GT and they hook up very well. The minus is that they wear out really quick.

good luck,
Paul
post #9 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 01:58 PM

I've got the Sumitomo's that Paul mentioned, paid ~$700 for all four (285/35/18 & 245/40/18) about a year ago.. for the money, they are outstanding - and unlike what Paul mentioned, mine seem to be wearing extremely well. They hook up well on dry pavement, and I haven't had any problems in the rain.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 01:58 PM

I know they are expensive as hell, but I have to stick with Michelin Pilot Sports. They gave me incredible dry grip but I found them to drive even better in the wet. I've gotten incredible mileage out of my front two (like brand new after 12K +) but due to a nitrous testing session on a crappy back road my rears are toast. I've had BFG's and Pirelli's and the BFG's sucked at grip and the Pzero's were a lot louder than my Michelins are now. I have heard good and bad about Kumho, but for the price of 1 Michelin you could get two Kumho's.

1995 T-Bird
268/279 on a Mustang dyno
306/313 on a Dynojet
MV Performance built
post #11 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 08:20 PM
onerichrunner

Thanks for all the good info guys.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-10-2002, 01:40 AM

G Force KD vs Michelins...Nitto?

I have the new G-Force KDs trust me.. they rock. They are nothing like the old BFG counter part, which sucked. However, the closest to a 26" tire which is what you really need is the 265/35 18..at 25.3" its too small a Diameter. I am looking at the Michelin Panoz... they make a 285 /35 18 that is right at 26" (25.89) of course they are $397.00 apeice. They might last 15000 miles if you drive easy HA,HA.
I think Ill contact my Nitto dealer and see what those 26" tires coming out are all about.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-10-2002, 08:33 AM

For you 99 and up guys who will be using electronic speedo correction devices like speedcal's, it doesn't matter if you run 26.1" diameter (or any diameter really) 295X35X18 KD's or equivalent tires. Just put it in the calculation.

For 96-98 Cobra owners with 7 tooth speedo drive gears using red 21 for 3.73's or white 23's for 4.10, larger diameter 26.1" tires will take about half of your speedo error out. 4.30 and up users of any year will be using speedcal type corrector anyway, so diametwer doesn't matter. Can be figured in. MHO

Ralph Greene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement