Dyno Tuned Saturday 4/6/02 97 Cobra w 6psi KB Kit Questions? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-08-2002, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Question Dyno Tuned Saturday 4/6/02 97 Cobra w 6psi KB Kit Questions?

I dyno'd at 320.5 HP and 309.9 ft-lbs of torque. A/F was 11.6-12 across the entire range. I'm trying to understand where my extra horsepower went. From my understanding from Jim V. I should be looking around 360 RWHP. My car has 78K miles, and doesn't burn any oil, so I don't think it's a rebuild time yet. Also noticed something really wierd during dyno The IMRC opening up, lost HP and TQ all the way up after opening. It's like it never made up the lost HP and TQ. We tried raising the opening setpoint by 1K rpm's several times and it did better with each raise. It's now set at 6K
or so. What are some possible causes of this? The tuner and mechanics and myself are at a loss for this? I'm running stock 24 injectors with 255 in tank pump, no BAP, and 4.10's. No power pipe, Bassani X w/cats stock mufflers with dumps before axle. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate the input.

Jeff

97 Cobra. Bassani catted X-pipe , CDC Side exhaust kit, 4.10's, Upgraded 11" 26 spline FMS clutch T56 Magnum 6 speed. Forged Internals, JE 9cc Pistons, Vortech V-1 S-Trim 3.33" pulley, AFM PP SCT BA2400, 55lb/hr Inj. 501.71HP/415.4TQ on Mustang Dyno
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-08-2002, 11:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Have you changed your plugs and regapped them when you installed the blower?

Jerome

03 Mach1 5spd
BB/Stroker built by Eddie Rios Addiction Motorsports
1.56 60ft, 11.44ET @ 122.1mph, 1700 DA
Daily Driver
post #3 of 13 Old 04-08-2002, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Blower was put on Last July. Just now getting to getting it tuned. I went through everything before dynotune. Plugs, Air/Fuel filters, Wires, coil-packs. Went with AWSF-22C plugs gapped at .035"

97 Cobra. Bassani catted X-pipe , CDC Side exhaust kit, 4.10's, Upgraded 11" 26 spline FMS clutch T56 Magnum 6 speed. Forged Internals, JE 9cc Pistons, Vortech V-1 S-Trim 3.33" pulley, AFM PP SCT BA2400, 55lb/hr Inj. 501.71HP/415.4TQ on Mustang Dyno
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 01:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
were you seeing full boost? how's your tensioner? maybe belt slippage? why not go with the 8# pulley...most do with good results. wont hurt your car. also, your torque numbers are almost stock! gotta be a belt/blower issue.

11 KB GT at 15psi
11 CTSV
12 F350
11 Z71
post #5 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Tech said he saw 7lbs constant, most I've ever seen on the street is 6psi, Tensioner is fine as far as I know. Didn't hear any belt problems during dyno, and didn't see any fluctuations on dyno graph to indicate belt slippage or anything.
Also TQ is about 60lbs higher than stock, which matches HP increase. Stock dyno numbers are in my sig. I'm going to do a compression check to see if I can tell anything that way.

Jeff
post #6 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 02:37 AM

Cool

With the 6# kit you're not going to see much more rwhp. The little things go a long way with the KB. More and better fuel, better air flow(inlet pipe), better exhause(headers or ?), MAF usually will get you 10hp with a KB just because of more air flow, more TB-twin screws love bigger and gooder TB's Also, Jimmy V has everything tweaked with the 9# pulley and he is seeing just over 400rwhp. Don't be dismayed, you're heading in the right direction. Also, one of the most important issues is the tune. KB's react differently than other blowers. I don't know who tuned it but, they need to have twin screw experience. They are a different animal.

Just my .02 cents.....

1997 Cobra
post #7 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Byron Reynolds with R.A.C.E. Systems @ Apex Motorsports in Santa Clara, CA did the tune. Byron has done more than a few KB, including a 10lb kit with a custom bypass valve. He seems very knowledgable with the KB, and he had the fuel curve dead on with the second burn of the chip, the rest of the runs, was to get the timing high as possible without any detonation. We did 90% load testing on the dyno, with no detonation at all. I know my inlet pipe is a HUGE bottleneck, one look at it, and it's obvious. I was just expecting around 360RWHP from several other KBCobra owners, such as Cobra32KB or KBCobra32, not sure which way it goes off the top of my head. They said to expect around 360 with the bolt on kit. I'm wondering if I have a tired engine, or undiagnosed problems causing the HP loss. Although, The 320 RWHP that I have now, is incredible, and I am very happy with that. With the money that I've put into the KB, I could have had a Vortech with Intercooler if I had wanted to go that route.

Jeff

Jeff
post #8 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 04:39 AM

Believe me, you can have the same problems with a Vortech.

When i first put mine on, I took it to the dyno and saw 267rwhp and 271tq To say the least I was about to strangle someone. I was so hyped up that day, i was embarrassed about it the next day when I realized how stupid I must have looked getting so excited. But I had reason to. I had spent $4000 on the S-trim installed, and dammit, I'd better see the normal 330-350rwhp that most stock GT's see with 8psi.

I was in fact 100% stock at the time though, so that had some to do with it. It took me months to figure my crap out. It took an MAF replacement, new plugs, different tuners, different chips, everything. Cost me approximately $2000 to get what most got with a bolt on S-trim. And that makes me upset just to think about all the money I threw away figuring it out. That could have paid for 2/3's of my forged motor. Or my new FAST or DFI system. Or a Bullit intake and/or P&Ped heads with new cam. God it makes me sick.

I went through the whole vacuum leak thing, to compression checks, etc. Finally I make over 400rwhp It will work out, but if your like me and have no patience, then this could be a rocky road
post #9 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 08:49 AM

From what Ron Short said to me on the phone when I was looking at a k/b for my 97 cobra. He said don't even bother with the 6psi pulley because it's pretty useless, he suggested a 10 or 12lb pulley that he gets made.
Also 36 or 42lb injectors and a maf will make a huge difference. The set-up Ron told me to use was-
kb-1500
amf powerpipe
42's
maf-90mm lightning
255 in tank & 255inline
Custom 12lb pulley
Use the k/b boost a pump that comes with the system as a " boost a spark"
Custom chip- because the KB chip runs pig rich.
He said with my current exhaust setup that I would have no problems seeing 420-440HP and I would see more if I changed TB's and put headers on because the KB's love to breathe.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 09:39 AM

you should see the numbers your looking for with the 8 pound pulley. also, get a power pipe and relocate the sensor to the fenderwell. longtubes would be real nice with this setup.

post #11 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 10:09 AM

Sounds like either 2 things. The tuneup or the IMRC plates aren't working and the computer is in limp mode. You can verify that with a scanner. Byrons a good tuner, I doubt its a tuning issue. You also might have a bad blower.

Dave King
2004 Mustang Cobra [email protected]
1997 Mustang Cobra 8.32 @168
post #12 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wipeout
From what Ron Short said to me on the phone when I was looking at a k/b for my 97 cobra. He said don't even bother with the 6psi pulley because it's pretty useless, he suggested a 10 or 12lb pulley that he gets made.
Also 36 or 42lb injectors and a maf will make a huge difference. The set-up Ron told me to use was-
kb-1500
amf powerpipe
42's
maf-90mm lightning
255 in tank & 255inline
Custom 12lb pulley
Use the k/b boost a pump that comes with the system as a " boost a spark"
Custom chip- because the KB chip runs pig rich.
He said with my current exhaust setup that I would have no problems seeing 420-440HP and I would see more if I changed TB's and put headers on because the KB's love to breathe.
I made 388 rwhp and ran 11.7 with my car at 300 miles on the odometer with the kenne Bell. 8 pounds of boost, a Pro M 77, and BBK high flow cat hpipe. Stock chip netted us 320 rwhp, custom chip by Tim Ellis and the now out of business Dynotech netted us 388 rwhp.

Dave King
2004 Mustang Cobra [email protected]
1997 Mustang Cobra 8.32 @168
post #13 of 13 Old 04-09-2002, 10:49 AM

ahh

Dont be to worriedl...MY first time on the dyno with my KB i had the 6# pulley on and I made 304rwhp LOL. Thats all the way up from my 287 NA. Anyways I now have a much better tune thanks to Chris Mureen and we are still working things out but I also wen tot the 9spi pulley and it feels much better I was VERY frustrated to begin with but you will get things worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement