Installed Bullitt Suspension yesterday - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-07-2002, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Installed Bullitt Suspension yesterday

Well it's finally installed. For $325 from gefracing.com that was money well spent. When I pulled off the rear shocks both were leaking fluid and competely dead, I'm suprised the car didn't bounce more in the rear??? Besides, I thought shocks lasted more that 25k miles. So far it's only dropped 1/2 inch. Definately noticable but no where near slammed. I like it. It rides 100% better with less roll and nose diving. It'll help some at the occasional auto-x but I mostly bought the Bullitt susp. for daily driving.

Here's the question: why does it take less force to compress the front Tokicos that the stock struts? I sat both on the ground before the install and pressed simultaneously. Suprisingly, the Tokico was easier to compress by hand. I tried both front Tokicos and got the same results. They were easier to compress than the old stockers. Do strut compression rates go down as spring rates go up? That doesn't seem right. Someone pls. explain. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-07-2002, 09:42 PM

The Tokicos for the Bullitt Mustang are revalved to match the Bullitt spring rates. So my guess is that the shorter Bullitt springs may also be stiffer.

post #3 of 18 Old 04-07-2002, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the Bullitt front springs at 600lbs/in are noticeably firmer than the stock 400-500lbs/in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-07-2002, 10:38 PM

What did you get for $325? Springs, shocks and struts?
post #5 of 18 Old 04-07-2002, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Amherst
What did you get for $325? Springs, shocks and struts?
Yes, all 4 springs, 2 front struts and 2 rear shocks (black non-adjustables with Tokico label) and 2 new rear spring isolators for the top spring perch.

Mr. Blue, glad you like the kit. Mine did settle another 1/8" or so since the install so it may drop some more for you for a total of 1" in front and 3/4" in the rear on my 98 GT. As they say, your mileage may vary.

'98 GT: '02 PI cams and PI intake, 3:90s Trick Flow Rear girdle, TF Plenum, Steeda Pulleys, Tri-Ax & Chrome Moly STB, Bassani X w/cats and Street Comps, Densecharger TB tube, 180 t-stat, Bullitt Susp kit 1/4 mile: [email protected]
post #6 of 18 Old 04-26-2002, 12:20 AM

Question

I ordered the Bullitt spring/strut/shock kit from GEF racing because of this thread and some others. I asked them when I ordered if I had to get C/C plates for the 1" drop on my '01 GT coupe and they said no. The dealer doing the work is saying no, but one of the guys working on the car said he can only adjust the toe. I want the car to be aligned properly for good handling and high speed stability and also to preserve my expensive tires. Did I have to have the C/C plates for this or not?

Also, GEF told me about 4 hours to install, but my dealer said that's just for the springs. To do springs, struts, and shocks is more like 9 hours labor. I called GEF back and talked to one of their techs and he said that's about right with the alignment. He also said that it's tough, but you can align with the stock C/C plates.

Any comments? I should be able to pick it up tomorrow. Thanks...
post #7 of 18 Old 04-26-2002, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tim757pilot
Also, GEF told me about 4 hours to install, but my dealer said that's just for the springs. To do springs, struts, and shocks is more like 9 hours labor.
Go somewhere else. My friend and I did mine WITH my MM LCA's in about 3.5 hours. No air/power tools either.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-26-2002, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tim757pilot
I ordered the Bullitt spring/strut/shock kit from GEF racing because of this thread and some others. I asked them when I ordered if I had to get C/C plates for the 1" drop on my '01 GT coupe and they said no. The dealer doing the work is saying no, but one of the guys working on the car said he can only adjust the toe. I want the car to be aligned properly for good handling and high speed stability and also to preserve my expensive tires. Did I have to have the C/C plates for this or not?

Also, GEF told me about 4 hours to install, but my dealer said that's just for the springs. To do springs, struts, and shocks is more like 9 hours labor. I called GEF back and talked to one of their techs and he said that's about right with the alignment. He also said that it's tough, but you can align with the stock C/C plates.

Take it somewhere else, as san~man mentioned it is not a 9 hour job. My brother and I put my shocks, struts, and control arms in and it only took about 4 hours. I was also taking time to clean up stuff and gte some pics so it could have been done in less. Later Ron

Few cars...
post #9 of 18 Old 04-27-2002, 04:44 PM

My brother and I just put my Bullett stuff on last night, and it took us about 3 hours to do it with air tools. If you have the right tools and someone to help you, just do it yourself. We decided to leave the stock strut plates that goes on top until I get it aligned. It drove pretty darn straight during the 125 miles back home. The back has a noticibile drop, and I hope the front settles even more. It still looks as if the front is sitting higher than the back, but it looks a 100 times better, and handles great around the corners and at high speeds! Glad I did it.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-28-2002, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, my front is still higher than the rear by a hair. Not noticeable unless you look close. It's not like we need any more weight up front to even it out

post #11 of 18 Old 04-28-2002, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Here is a pic of the stock front spring vs. Bullitt front spring.

post #12 of 18 Old 04-28-2002, 09:47 AM

did any of you with the kit use cc plates i did the steeda and what the f used the spacers in the proper place and it still felt like the struts wanted to come thru the towers could it be that i really didnt need the cc and the drop is not low enough and the cc plates are messing everything up
post #13 of 18 Old 04-28-2002, 03:59 PM

A friend and I installed the suspension on my 96GT in 3.5 hours without airtools (you really don't need them). 9 hours is way, way too long. Take a look at my sig, but I installed Bullitt shocks/struts, H&R Springs, and MM CC plates, a steeda shifter in that amount of time. The exhaust took another hour. I got the Bullitt struts for $109CDN, and the shocks for $54CDN from my local Ford dealer.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-08-2002, 01:08 PM

My cousin and I installed the Bullitt suspension kit and a set of MM caster camber plates in about four hours, no trouble except when we used a pickle fork on the front tie rod ends we split the rubbers on the tie rod end, and had to get new ones . Love the ride, I thought it would be harsh and I like it very much; Good Luck. This did not include an hour for alignment.
Olbob
post #15 of 18 Old 05-08-2002, 02:40 PM

forgot to mention mine was done in about three hours also did any of you put the top plate back on the top after the install some one told me that i shouldnt of but i did. took the cc plates out and replaced them with the oe thanks
post #16 of 18 Old 05-08-2002, 06:59 PM

After having mine for about 2 weeks, I would say that it definately has a performance feel to it. Very responsive, and you can really feel the road. I wouldn't say the ride is harsh, but you can feel it on crappy roads whereas some cars have the marshmello feel to them. The one negative that I have is a new squeek in the back that has been driving me nuts. I am assuming the original rubber covers I put back on the rear springs are wearing through. I will need to get into the trunk and have someone drive me around!!
post #17 of 18 Old 05-09-2002, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by olbob
My cousin and I installed the Bullitt suspension kit and a set of MM caster camber plates in about four hours, no trouble except when we used a pickle fork on the front tie rod ends we split the rubbers on the tie rod end, and had to get new ones . Love the ride, I thought it would be harsh and I like it very much; Good Luck. This did not include an hour for alignment.
Olbob
I also used the tie rod fork and from past experience :0 I greased the insides of the fork before I started hammering away and that prevented the rubber boot from getting ripped.

'98 GT: '02 PI cams and PI intake, 3:90s Trick Flow Rear girdle, TF Plenum, Steeda Pulleys, Tri-Ax & Chrome Moly STB, Bassani X w/cats and Street Comps, Densecharger TB tube, 180 t-stat, Bullitt Susp kit 1/4 mile: [email protected]
post #18 of 18 Old 05-09-2002, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Amherst
The one negative that I have is a new squeek in the back that has been driving me nuts. I am assuming the original rubber covers I put back on the rear springs are wearing through. I will need to get into the trunk and have someone drive me around!!
I assume you mean the isolators. If they have gone bad, use Ford OEM to replace them. The aftermarket ones are made of polyurethane and they will squeak.

3X black premium 2k1 GT 5 speed ragtop
Drive Train:
FMS 3.73 gears, Vortech SQ, AFM powerpipe, FMS aluminum D/S, Steeda shifter, 80 mm MAF, Steeda Fuel pump, SnowPerformance water injecton, BBK 75MM TB, C&L plenum, SCT chip
Wheels/Tires: 10th anniversary Cobra, Nitto ZR 275 x 40 x17
Suspension:
TKO 5 way (years 87 to 93 for 94+ lowered stangs), Vert Eibach Pro Springs, offset rack bushings, Steeda c/c plates, Steeda subframes w/cross brace, Steeda X2 balljoints and bumpsteer
Interior:
99 Mustang A-pillar covers, Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod, Autometer FP and boost gauges, 03 Cobra headrest
Exchaust:
Steeda catback (Borla) wholesale price
RWHP/360 RWTQ/360 SAE corrected
Very conserative tune.
69 Maroon Torino GT Fastback
Eddie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement