What fuel pump for a 2000 GT? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #36 of 40 Old 04-09-2002, 11:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by scottbeer
Hey Ed, you have some cool gizmos on you're car.How do you like the DIY.The water/alcohol injection seems like a cool little addition.I've seen it on a turbo app. and it worked very well.I tried it on a 32v getting 18psi of intercooled supercharged boost.It didn't help much, but I think we needed more volume than what our little SMS kit gave us.
I love my DIY. What good peace of mind knowing what my mixture is under all conditions. I will say it's not the same as it was on the dyno.

The W/A injection I'm just starting to find what works. I started with way too much flow and it would bog the motor down. I wanted more of a light cooling mist than I was getting. The kit came with a 15 gph nozzle. I dropped all the way back to 1 gph. Now it doesn't bog the motor down at all. In fact, my first visit to the track with it tuned like that was this weekend. I got 1+ mph in the 1/8th just by using at 7 psi and up. I also have a dual channel digital thermometer. I haven't lengthened the leads yet so a road test is still a few days off. But with the motor at operating temps, in neutral, 2000 rpms the discharge temp out of the blower head was about 140 degree. Into the throttle body was 117 degrees. Then with the 1 gph at about 50 psi (guessing) the temps instantly dropped into the throttle body to 79 degree. That was only a few degrees above ambient. Pretty cool. But I'm still playing with that. I'll share what I learn when I get the leads lengthened.

Ed

2002 Modular Shootout, 2v Power Adder Champion
1999 GT Perf Red 35th 5.4L 2V DIY Turbo
2002 Ford Mustang GT Vortech V3 Stock 3.6 Pulley CXRacing Intercooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37 of 40 Old 04-11-2002, 09:51 PM

Has anyone had experience using the Kenney Bell Boost-a-Pump on their cars?

post #38 of 40 Old 04-11-2002, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback Ed. Have you considered adding some timing with the spray? I like how you monitor the temps, that's pretty sharp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39 of 40 Old 04-11-2002, 11:17 PM

During tuning the car didn't take timing well. With the stock Novi 1000 kit and the JMS chip we started at 17.5 degrees total. We didn't hear any detonation but the car wouldn't make any power, 330 ish with the mixture right at 12.0:1. The only other setting I had at the same fuel level was 17 degrees. That made 350 rwhp. I ran 16.5 and got about 360 rwhp. I swapped in a 16 with the same fuel and the car even better up top. So that is why I ended up there. I even tried adding more fuel in an attempt to add a little more timing. No luck. It sure drives better around town with the additional timing.

Because of this I'm not really a fan of adding timing. Some motors don't respond well to it and I think mine is one of them. I opted to up boost and work a little with a more aggressive mixture. With the headers and boost the car runs right at 89-90 mph traps in the eighth. So at 3500+ pounds it's probably at or over 400 rwhp. The mixture is where I'll go next. I'm right about 11.3:1 max with the current chip and without the W/A. There is some room there more power pretty safely I think. I do have a chip on hand with 2 percent less fuel than I have now and 16.5 degrees and one for 2 percent less than current and 16.0. I may try that one soon.

Another thing to consider is that this motor has never had a valve cover off. Although there seems to be more ponies left in her, is it a good idea? I can't use them all at this point anyway and I"ve pretty much met my goals with it power wise. I just need to crack 11's and that goal will be met as well. I don't know where to go after that. I don't have visions of it becoming a 10 second car.

I need to work on other things on the car first. I don't really want a drag race only car. But a great handling and stopping, stock looking car that can run 11's is a pretty good sounding goal.

Ed

2002 Modular Shootout, 2v Power Adder Champion
1999 GT Perf Red 35th 5.4L 2V DIY Turbo
2002 Ford Mustang GT Vortech V3 Stock 3.6 Pulley CXRacing Intercooler

Last edited by Edward Clark; 04-11-2002 at 11:22 PM.
post #40 of 40 Old 04-12-2002, 12:01 AM

Good call, when people get obsessed with the numbers game it tends to take the fun out of it sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement