Carbon Fiber Driveshaft did not solve my vibration woes... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-07-2002, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
US Air Force Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (0)
Unhappy Carbon Fiber Driveshaft did not solve my vibration woes...

The vibration is still at the same speeds 90-95+ mph. By 105-110mph I have to hit the brakes out of fear of something shattering...like the CF d/s.
The CF definitely absorbs a lot of the vibration, meaning the shifter is not rattling like it is going to snap. But, it is still humming and vibrating like mad.
I was hoping this was going to be the ultimate solution to my dreaded problem. I guess the next step will be to check the pinion angle, if I can find someone w/ the knowledge and tools to do it. If it is off, I guess the fix would be double adjustable control arms. Correct? Upper, lower, or both?

Travis
2003 EB Expedition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-07-2002, 11:12 PM

I had a vibration problem with my car. When my speed was greater than 80mph I could feel vibrations. The faster I went the more severe the vibrations. Well today I finally Jacked the car up and found. Two screws were loose in the Yoke just outside the Universal Joint. I was able the unscrew the bolts with my hands. So, tighten the bolts and went on a 140 mph test drive and no vibration.

post #3 of 18 Old 04-07-2002, 11:30 PM

Question

T did you buy that car used? Does the car have gears? Hit the rim on something and bend the rim? Everything tight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-07-2002, 11:30 PM

I also had some bad vibes at the same speeds you guys are talking about. It was due to my bolts being loose on the rear side of the drive-shaft. I had Ford rebuild the rear end for me, but the idoits forgot to tighten up those 4 little bolts back. I was pissed to say the least but I still had some vibrations though they weren't as bad. So I got an aluminum DS thinking it would fix them, as it did for the most part. I think I need to get my pinion angle looked at. I have adjustable uppers and lowers so it's not a problem to get the angle changed, it's just a matter of who I can find to do it. Any one here in Houston know of a reprebutable (sp?) shop to do this for me or a website with instructions to do it? Also, who carrys pinion angle tools?

Thanks
~Kris

~Kris
1996 GTS/248A
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NPI heads (stock), Naturally Aspirated, 153K+ miles, weight w/ driver - 3080 lbs.
Houston Raceway 02/05/06 (959 Density Altitude):
13.447 @ 99.75, 60' - 1.810
8.597 @ 80.94, best 1/4 mph 101.69
Founding member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Budget Drag Racer's Association
post #5 of 18 Old 04-07-2002, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
US Air Force Active Duty

Quote:
Originally posted by Modster
T did you buy that car used? Does the car have gears? Hit the rim on something and bend the rim? Everything tight?
Yes, I bought the car used. The car came w/ 4.10's and the previous owner said he baried the needle once. I put 4.56's in it.

Travis
2003 EB Expedition
post #6 of 18 Old 04-07-2002, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by T_Bone

Yes, I bought the car used. The car came w/ 4.10's and the previous owner said he baried the needle once. I put 4.56's in it.
Hell Yeah on the 4.56's! I think you have a rear problem. Something is bent. Wore out. Check the oil. Any color change? How does it smell? Burnt? Check to see if one of the rims is bent. I think you could see that. Who did the gears?
post #7 of 18 Old 04-07-2002, 11:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
I had various vibration problems. To cut to the chase: I found that my pinion flange was bent. I put a new used one in and solved everything. When I had my original LCAs and 2.73 gears, the car was smooth as silk. When I changed the gears, I had to go to an aluminum drive shaft. When I changed the LCAs, I could not figure out the problem until I was changing the pinion seal and noticed the flange was bent. Check the runout of your pinion flange with a dial indicator. You don't even have to take anything apart. Mine must have been bad from the factory and the stock set up has alot of leeway.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #8 of 18 Old 04-08-2002, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
US Air Force Active Duty

Quote:
Hell Yeah on the 4.56's! I think you have a rear problem. Something is bent. Wore out. Check the oil. Any color change? How does it smell? Burnt? Check to see if one of the rims is bent. I think you could see that. Who did the gears?
The vibration was there pre-gear swap. The installation was double checked by the tranny shop that put the gears in. Didn't find any problems w/ the install, but said he ran it up to speed while it was in the air and noticed the left tire didn't seem to spin as smooth as the other. On the way home, I had that tire balanced. No difference.
Sound like it could be pinion angle?

Travis
2003 EB Expedition
post #9 of 18 Old 04-08-2002, 01:50 AM

Quote:

The vibration was there pre-gear swap. The installation was double checked by the tranny shop that put the gears in. Didn't find any problems w/ the install, but said he ran it up to speed while it was in the air and noticed the left tire didn't seem to spin as smooth as the other. On the way home, I had that tire balanced. No difference.
Sound like it could be pinion angle?
Car lowered?
post #10 of 18 Old 04-08-2002, 02:56 AM

Have you removed the harmonic damper aka moose balls. It is tuned for a critical speed not a gear. There was a good link on here the other day about it. I had horrible vibes after my gear change and took the damper off. I put the damper back on and the vibes went away.

Good luck, Dwayne

post #11 of 18 Old 04-08-2002, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
US Air Force Active Duty

Modster, yes, the car has FRPP progressive springs.

46GTSblown, yes the mooseballs were removed. I took it off once before and it made no difference. I might try putting it back on for the hell of it.

Travis
2003 EB Expedition
post #12 of 18 Old 04-08-2002, 08:53 AM

with double adjustable uppers in place, you do not need any thing but a cresent wrench and a 15 dollar protractor level to correct the pinion angle. about 4 degrees is about right. mine was about 10 to 12, caused by after market lowers. bobn

06 gt auto
post #13 of 18 Old 04-08-2002, 10:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Any one here in Houston know of a reprebutable
Houston Performance, and if they can't do it they will direct you to someone trustworthy who can.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-08-2002, 07:10 PM

Boy does this sound familiar.

I seem to have the same problems and tried to fix buy doing the same things (moose balls on/off, aluminum driveshaft, UCA & LCA stock/aftermarket, re-index driveshaft, different gear ratio (3.73 & 4.10), rechecked gaer install, etc) the only thing that I haven't tried is the pinion angle because I don't have adjustable ones.

There is an interresting fact about late model 97 mustangs, Ford changed the pinion angle from the factory for better lauches. You will see that Steeda sells seperate aluminum UCA for pre 97 and 97 up mustangs. The pre 97 arms are shortened and the 97 up are stock length.

My bet is the root of the problem lies in the pinion angle. My bet is that the UCA need to be lengthened (or I guess the LCA shortened). As far as I can remember Steeda told me that the pinion angle should be 2 degrees down and 2 degrees up for a total of 4 degrees. I tried to confirm this in the Ford manual but no info on this. I have also thought about going down to a ford dealer to check what the angle is on a brand new gt.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-09-2002, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
US Air Force Active Duty

Question

Where did you hear that, Mort? This is the first I have heard of it.

I don't understang why Ford would intentionally change the pinion angle for a better launch? It doesn't seem like they would care how the car launched more than driveability.

Travis
2003 EB Expedition
post #16 of 18 Old 04-09-2002, 01:32 AM

Wink

Quote:
Modster, yes, the car has FRPP progressive springs.

46GTSblown, yes the mooseballs were removed. I took it off once before and it made no difference. I might try putting it back on for the hell of it.
Fix the pinion angle. When you lowered the car it changed. I am not saying it is what is causing this vibe, But you never know. You will need adjustable uppers.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-09-2002, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
US Air Force Active Duty

Quote:
Fix the pinion angle. When you lowered the car it changed. I am not saying it is what is causing this vibe, But you never know. You will need adjustable uppers.
Thanks, Rob. I'll try that next. It may be next summer though, since I just bought this CF d/s and a big screen TV. Could be awhile before I have any $$$ to buy uppers.

Travis
2003 EB Expedition
post #18 of 18 Old 04-09-2002, 11:39 PM

Be it true or not I got the information from Steeda. Back when I bought the upper aluminum control arms from them they only made the shortened version (check out their website). So no problem that is what I got, the shortened ones, after installing them the car was undrivable. I can not begin to tell you the amount of vibration it caused. Took them off and put the stock uppers back on. Phoned Steeda to see what was up. As it turned out I was the second or so person to experience this. They said that they had confirmed through Ford that the factory pinion angle had indeed been changed. They were about to start some R&D on the stock length(as it turned out) ones and i recieved them about two months later. This is why if you go and take a look at their website you will see a shortened and stock length UCA available. If memory serves me right the shortened arms are 5mm shorter then stock.

When you think about it it makes sense that you would have to lengthen the uppers to bring the pinion angel back to stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement