Is my Vortech Idler pulley going out? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-06-2002, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Is my Vortech Idler pulley going out?

I recently put the ford steel tensioner on the stang. After getting everything back together, I started the car and heard this squeaking sound. At first I thought it might be my throw out bearing since I've had two go out already, but it wasn't that. I popped the hood and the sound became louder, so I'm not sure if it is going out or not. Does it usually sound like this if it is going out? If it is, how much will it cost me to get another one from Vortech? Thanks for the help, Steven.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-07-2002, 09:09 AM

If you have a "Gen 1" idler pulley (about 1" diameter), it is a warranty item with Vortech. They replaced mine free. Tell Vortech you want the latest generation setup. I have been running the bigger idler now (about 2" diameter) for about 10,000 miles without a problem. Unfortunately, it requires a new bracket so you have to pull the whole SC and bracket to do the swap.

1999 GT, yellow 5spd convert, 12psi Vortech, Bullit intake, air to air intercooler, LT's, Borla catbacks, other stuff. Still using returnless fuel system. 529hp/450 tq
melloyellow.stangnet.com
post #3 of 7 Old 04-07-2002, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

TTT, I know a few people on here have had to replace theirs. Help me out because I need to know for sure. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-07-2002, 07:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
where could i find one of these small idler pulleys? 1" would be great, 2" would work too

Justin Starkey
2011 Mustang GT 5.0 with Roushcharger [email protected] wife's car
2007 Shelby GT500 805RWHP/765RWTQ VMP TVS Blower
2006 F250 6.0L - [email protected]
2000 Mustang 3.8 A4 TT 450RWHP/[email protected] & [email protected] 1.7 [email protected] stock motor
2006 Mustang 4.0 M5 Vortech 15psi 395RWHP [email protected] wife's car
2006 Jeep GC SRT8 family car
post #5 of 7 Old 04-09-2002, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

TTT one more time.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-09-2002, 04:58 AM

Is it a constant squeaky noise or only when you revv the engine??? Or only when the engine revvs back down????

How did you know when you needed a new seal??? Just curious so that I know what to look for.

ROb
post #7 of 7 Old 04-09-2002, 09:13 AM

My idler squeaked like that when it went out. You could do damage if you drive it like that and the bearings completly. As Isaid above, it is a warranty item with Vortech if you have the Gen 1 1" idler. This stuff is not available at Pep Boys! Call Vortech. You have no choice.
To check the idler, remove the belt. The idler should spin freely and have little to no play. Kind of like a skateboard wheel. If it is stiff or has excessive play, replace it.

1999 GT, yellow 5spd convert, 12psi Vortech, Bullit intake, air to air intercooler, LT's, Borla catbacks, other stuff. Still using returnless fuel system. 529hp/450 tq
melloyellow.stangnet.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement