Will 15" Welds fit on a Cobra? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-01-2002, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Will 15" Welds fit on a Cobra?

I've got a friend selling some Weld Draglite's. I'm just wondering if 15 inch wheels will clear the calipers. The vehicle in question is my 1996 Cobra. Thank's.

1989 5.0 T5 LX Hatch - Explorer Short Block with an FMS F-303 cam, TFS TW170 heads, Tmoss Ported Cobra Intake, an On3 Turbo Kit with a 67mm Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbo, and backed by a T56 Magnum 6spd with 3.55's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-01-2002, 06:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I am also wondering this...I'm looking at some American Racing 15x8's for some DR's off Summit and was wondering if they clear the bigger 11" rotors the cobra has back there...I know they clear the GT's...

Jim

STLMustangs.com(Administrator)
post #3 of 12 Old 04-01-2002, 06:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
The 15 inch weld rims will fit but certain mods will need to be made.

1. Front calipers will need to be ground down a bit.

2. Wheel spacers will have to be added.

3. Longer studs will be needed also.

This is for the front brakes the back will need less mods.

The ARE you are talking about will work I use them on by Bullitt which has the Cobra brakes. Just make sure you get the ones that measure 15-8 with 4.75 backspacing.

If you email Bob Cosby he will send you the complete break down on what is needed to add 15 inch rims to a Cobra its real detailed. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-01-2002, 06:50 PM

I just put Weld Pro-Stars on my car. You will need 15x8 with 5.5" Backspacing to fit in the rear. The bolt pattern spacing is 4.5"

I assume you are only talking about the rear of the car.

The lug bolts will not fit through the wheel, so you will also need to get special lug nuts sold by Summit and Weld to fit. Longer lug bolts shouldn't be necessary with the above nut! That is good, b/c finding a longer lug bolt with 1/2 x 20 threading that is 3" long with the correct splining and diameter would be a real chore!

Hope that helps. I am receiving my nuts Wed b/c I find out the hard way the lug bolts are too short for you stock lug nuts
post #5 of 12 Old 04-01-2002, 07:00 PM

The ARE's I'm looking at are the ones with 4.75" backspacing...thanks for the info!

Jim

STLMustangs.com(Administrator)
post #6 of 12 Old 04-01-2002, 07:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Hey DS97Cobra with that size backspacing does the rim stick out of the fenderwall or does it sit flush.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-01-2002, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SILVER BULLET2
Hey DS97Cobra with that size backspacing does the rim stick out of the fenderwall or does it sit flush.

From what I understand the more backspacing you have the less it will stick out beyond your fenders. I wasn't able to fully mount mine, no lug nuts, but I did put them on the lug bolts. They sit flush as far as I could tell. Should be putting them on end of this week if you want to PM me then and I will let you know for sure.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-01-2002, 09:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Thumbs up

Front - 15x3.5, standard 1.75" backspace. 165/15 radials

To work with Cobra brakes, you need specially made ARP 3.5" studs, and a 5/16" and a 7/16" spacer on each side.

Rear - 15x10, with 6.5" backspace. Grinding of the rear calipers on Cobras is necessary or use a small 1/4" spacer. These are nicely tucked in the wheel well and do not come out the fenders. The fender lips are not even rolled on my car. I still had the quad shocks in this pic too.

Later, Jason

FYI, I no longer use Cobra brakes up front or spacers. I upgraded to AeroSpace Pro-Street brakes.

N/A 1997 Cobra (STOCK MOTOR without any BOOST... GRANNY-SHIFTED) - RETIRED

12.14 @ 114 MPH
1.61 60ft.
306 rwhp and 301 rwtq
Best 60ft. - 1.55
post #9 of 12 Old 04-11-2002, 03:36 AM

out of curiosity...have you even gotten any hassle about running wheel spacers at the track? i don't have a current NHRA rulebook but i was under the impression that wheel spacers were illegal

also, has anyone tried the ARE wheels 15x8 with 4" backspace, if i did the math right they would be the same on the inside (as 17x9 cobra R's) & 1" further in on the outside (again as compared to R's) i realize that this might not be optinum (which would be as far out as possible) it's just that they make better looking wheels with this offset

Last edited by racenutz; 04-11-2002 at 06:06 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-11-2002, 10:16 AM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (3)
I run spacers on the front of my Cobra, and have never gotten any grief. However, I also run Centerline wheels, which are one piece, and don't require long studs.

Bob Cosby, USN (Retired)

2010 Corvette
2005 Harley FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
post #11 of 12 Old 04-11-2002, 06:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Jmeirs, Who was driving that yellow cobra in your pic. Just wondering if it a guy I know? Also, how do you like the brakes you have now and what diameter are the rotors?

Steve
post #12 of 12 Old 04-11-2002, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Jmeirs, Who was driving that yellow cobra in your pic. Just wondering if it a guy I know? Also, how do you like the brakes you have now and what diameter are the rotors?
The yellow car in the pic belonged to someone named Staunton or Shannon or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement