Ford Mustang Forums banner

??QUESTION for 96-04 GT owners w/ a roots/screw blower -- gear question 3.73 or 3.55

494 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  D97GT 
#1 ·
Hello, As I posted a week ago - I bought a 2003 Saleen S281 - Hollywood Horsepower Edition ( Supercharged). It currently has a upgrade: 3.27 gear from saleen. I think it could be a little higher. Here is what I want:

My only mods are going to be (cold air - X pipe - gears)

I do alot of highway driving.

I want to feel the difference

I don' t want to shift 5 times before I get to 40 mph.

I don't race the car (except stop light to stop light once in a while) I want more pick up when I just use half throttle. I really want more SOTP feel!!!!!

I don't want too high of a gear since the blower is torque and spins the tires already w/ the 3.27. -- Tire spin

Do I go 3:55 or 3.73????????????????????????

Will I have a good SOTP feel w/ the 3.55's????????????

What is your RPM at 70 w/ 3.73/ 3.55's?????

I think the 3.73 will have more SOTP feel but will that be too much gear for me - tire spin? interstate driving? shifting too much?

ps -- Sorry its another gear question. I searched the forms for over 2 hours this morning and didn't get my exact case (torque blower - not racing).

See less See more
#5 ·
I say stick with the 3.27's. The 3.55's won't provide enough of a change to make it worth the $$$ or time. The 3.73's will make wheelspin much more of a problem for you and drop your mileage which may or may not be a problem for you. I had the 3.55's. Due to having to have the rear end tore into due to a leak. I had 3.27's reinstalled while the work was being done. The difference in SOTP feel was minimal.

#8 ·
MLN385 said:
Just an fyi 3.27's are stock on ford Mustang gt's.

Marc
Oh, My Saleen Window Sticker says Saleen 3.27 gears. I thought they upgraded from a 3.08. Is this new? or is Saleen just quoting Ford's 3.27 gears.

SOTP = Seat Of The Pants -- meaning can you (the driver) feel the difference.

#9 ·
MyBlueSaleen said:
Oh, My Saleen Window Sticker says Saleen 3.27 gears. I thought they upgraded from a 3.08. Is this new? or is Saleen just quoting Ford's 3.27 gears.

SOTP = Seat Of The Pants -- meaning can you (the driver) feel the difference.
Well I am not a saleen parts list expert but I do know the stock gt's come through with 3.27's .

This leads me to another thought. I have heard all saleens start out as v6 mustangs , and if this is true it would explain their gear listing. They change out the v6 rearend which is a 7.8 vs the 8.8 gt.

Marc

#10 ·
I know in the earlier years, 96-98 the 2.73 ratio was standard and the 3.27's were a factory upgrade. My car came with 2.73's from the factory. Can you still get the 2.73 in the 99-up cars?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.