NEW INTAKE ON THE WAY... - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #36 of 49 Old 03-05-2002, 03:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by J98GT
From what I understand from TheGame, the NEW intake isn?ft really all aluminum, just the part between the water passage. I don?ft think there is much additional porting or extrude honing that can be done. It may be more durable than the POS one on our cars, but I don?ft think it?fs worth any HP on any application. Correct me if I?fm wrong (I wish I was!)
It's not. I just had the 96-98 upgraded intake put on my 96 after the second one broke. It IS worth the money though because getting stranded sux and there is potential for the loss of coolant to really **** up your engine etc.

Phil.
Virgin 96 GT
Mods: K&N Filter, FRPP-SVO tranny cooler, "good" 3:27 factory gears, Diablo Sport Chip to fix shifting and stuff. Nekkid red devil babe sticker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37 of 49 Old 03-05-2002, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The other Austin Phil

It's not. I just had the 96-98 upgraded intake put on my 96 after the second one broke. It IS worth the money though because getting stranded sux and there is potential for the loss of coolant to really **** up your engine etc.
Hey man where did you get it and how much?

1997 Moonlight Blue GT

242 rwhp & 273 rwtq with stock untouched non-PI heads & stock longblock with 136K and counting!

post #38 of 49 Old 03-05-2002, 06:24 PM

Unhappy new intake

count me in as well i'm intrested did someone say group purchase yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39 of 49 Old 03-05-2002, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blueoval

Hey man where did you get it and how much?
It was installed by the Ford dealer as part of the 97M91 program where they replace the cracked intakes free(parts and labor) on 96-98 Mustangs and some other SOHC powered cars.

The cracked intakes have been a HUGE problem on these cars. Two years ago at 30,000 my original one cracked and it was replaced w/ another plastic one. This time at 67,000 they put on the newly improved setup(just became avaliable I was told) which has the aluminum water passage as part of the intake, most of which is still plastic. This replacement was also done free of charge. While they had it I paid to have the rear heater hoses and the bypass tube that runs under the intake itself replaced.

The part number for a kit which I think included gaskets etc is F6SZ-9424-AA. 1996-1998 cars ONLY! I'm not sure what the cost was since they didn't put that on the warranty invoice. I'd figure it's about 250.00 or so unless you have a hook up.

It's kind of funny if you think about it but I've never had to drain and flush the radiator as preventative maint because Ford designed an "automatic" system

For you 99+ guys who want to fix yours to keep from getting stuck somewhere the one on 2002 GT's is set up the same way.

Phil.
Virgin 96 GT
Mods: K&N Filter, FRPP-SVO tranny cooler, "good" 3:27 factory gears, Diablo Sport Chip to fix shifting and stuff. Nekkid red devil babe sticker

Last edited by The other Austin Phil; 03-05-2002 at 07:08 PM.
post #40 of 49 Old 04-10-2002, 08:25 PM

Hey The other Austin Phil I just checked my 02 GT and my intake says lW7E-9424-AA Is mine the same as your new one or do i have the **** intake? The first four letters are not the same.
post #41 of 49 Old 04-10-2002, 09:21 PM

The intake ports on 96-98 cars are different from those on the 99 and newer cars so our intakes/part #s are different. Your 2002 should be good to go though since in 2002 they started using the upgraded setup. The front part of your intake where the Thermostat housing attaches should be cast from aluminum. If it is you are set and won't have to worry about it!

Phil.
Virgin 96 GT

post #42 of 49 Old 04-10-2002, 09:43 PM

Cool thanks. Yes i see that it is aluminum. I miss understood your post. You got the upgrade for your year. I thought they were all the same and i was wondering why my intake had a diff part# on it. Im new to all this. Thanks for clearing that up as i was already starting to worry.
post #43 of 49 Old 04-11-2002, 10:13 AM

Glad to help!

Phil.
Virgin 96 GT

post #44 of 49 Old 04-24-2002, 11:27 AM

TTT
post #45 of 49 Old 04-24-2002, 01:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
i have a question, i had my original intake crack at about 40k, then that one cracked at about 80k so im seeing a pattern here, i probably wont make it to 120k before my 7 years is up, has anyone had the intake swaped just because? i dont want to get stuck having to replace this thing again in 20,000 miles because ford cant get it right the 1st or 2nd time. Please respond if youve had success getting a replacement done just for prevention. and how did you go about doing it.

NMRA M/M 7270
post #46 of 49 Old 04-24-2002, 04:40 PM

I'm not sure how you would go about that but the swap kit can be had from GEF Racing for $200 if you want to do it yourself.

http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=FIEP

I have that intake now and I was happy to get it! At about 30,000 miles I cracked my first intake and Ford put another POS plastic one on there as part of the warranty program. At 65,000 I cracked it and had pretty much decided after they replace the intake with what I assumed would be another POS Plastic one I was going to sell the car. BUT they put one of those new style ones on there, so I'm all good

Phil.
Virgin 96 GT

post #47 of 49 Old 04-24-2002, 05:17 PM

I have an '02, and my car came with the 2 piece (plastic/alum) intake. I've since put on a Bullitt intake, so if anyone wants my old stock piece, let me know
post #48 of 49 Old 04-24-2002, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I saw that intake on a showroom GT about 2 weeks ago at a Ford dealer. So evidently it is on the '02 GT's.
I have a 2002 GT (Nov 01 build date) and I have the Plastic one.
FYI.

Do you know when they switched?
post #49 of 49 Old 05-07-2002, 10:28 PM

NEW INTAKE

GEFRACING.COM HAVE THAT INTAKE FOR 199.99 ON THEIR WEB SITE. I ALREADY ORDERED MINE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement