Mustang V8 modular vs Towncar compatibility? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-09-2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Mustang V8 modular vs Towncar compatibility?

Hi all

I am writing you from Belgium

I have a 1995 Lincoln Towncar with 4.6 modular and... a knocking rod!

My engine has "5G812BA" written on its identification tag, production 11/12/94, Romeo engine.

I have the opportunity to acquire a modular advertised as being from a Mustang. Identification tag says 6A836AA, production is 8/7/95, Romeo engine. The engine is far away from my home so I can't check it closer...

I am pretty sure there is a bunch of Modular guru's here able to answer my question; are those engines compatible? Even if I have to swap the intakes and exhausts, will the Mustang engine fit directly in the towncar?

Many thanks for your help

Seb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-09-2019, 08:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
ANY 2V long block will swap straight in. Just swap the intake, manifolds, etc... onto the new 2V. Look for a PI heade engine for a little boost in power.

post #3 of 4 Old 10-09-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

GREAT

thanks for the precious info.

Seb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

I recommend some caution here. There are differences in the 1995 and older 4.6's.

Further this post does not state the model year of the donor car. Why is this important? Because if the donor Mustang is from a 1999+ it won't just "drop in" without some planning regarding which parts to swap.

My recommendation for the least hassle swap in your non Mustang application it to stick to a Non-PI Romeo SOHC block.

The key to making this swap work is to make the donor motor "look like" the original electrically. The means to swap the engine wiring harness, fuel injectors, ect.

You are likely to find some other "differences" in minor things like the wiring harness stand offs located on the valve covers. Take TONS of pictures of the original motor before and during swap to document as much as possible.

As a reminder that it's also possible to get a Non-PI Romeo block from later model year Ford Panther (Town Car, Grand Marquis, or Crown Vic). For the Ford Panther application, Ford began using PI SOHC in 2001+. So a 1996-2000 Panther may offer a cheaper option. Sometimes Mustang specific parts sell for more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement