Finally think it's time to replace the factory clutch - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Finally think it's time to replace the factory clutch

As of late, my 02 GT has felt a bit sluggish under load and I am suspecting that the clutch may be starting to slip. Whether or not this is the reason for the hesitation, I am at 147k miles on the factory clutch and I am sure it's on borrowed time anyway. Being able to start out in third gear is never a good thing, and it chatters like a woodchuck. I think I might go ahead and change it, but I need advice as this is the first time I've ever done a clutch job.

The car is basically stock and will stay that way - it's my daily driver and I cart my daughter around in it, so I'm not interested in upgrading to anything that will handle more power because I'm gonna run this car like a 4.6-equipped livery vehicle. Basically I need to maximize drivability and reliability. The lighter the pedal feel, the better. Am I right in assuming that the OEM clutch is the way to go for this?

What else should I be replacing while the transmission is dropped? Throwout bearing and pilot bearing I assume? What about the flywheel? At this mileage, is it worth trying to find someone to resurface it, or should I just replace it?

Any advice on where to source the parts? Is the stock clutch the same thing as the Valeo kit (#52802005) that rockauto has for $165?

Also, what are the best videos and/or writeups for this job?

Thanks in advance!

2002 Mineral grey GT 5 speed. Flowmaster 40's catback, Mach 1 grille delete, timing advance, push button starter, Bullitt pedals, FR500 steering wheel, K&N FIPK, Self ported upper intake w/ spacer, Pioneer Avic D3, MGW shifter, MM FL subframe connectors, Mach 1 springs, Bilstein HD struts/springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-19-2019, 09:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I would go with this one. It's a good clutch kit and throw out bearing for what you are looking for, a little higher in price but not tooo bad.

https://www.jegs.com/i/McLeod/673/75...830+4294829436

https://www.jegs.com/i/McLeod/673/16...830+4294829436

post #3 of 11 Old 06-19-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
I would go with this one. It's a good clutch kit and throw out bearing for what you are looking for, a little higher in price but not tooo bad.

https://www.jegs.com/i/McLeod/673/75...830+4294829436

https://www.jegs.com/i/McLeod/673/16...830+4294829436
Thanks for the suggestion. How does this compare to the Valeo kit on Rockauto? I'm looking to go as stock as possible with the lightest/smoothest feel. My wife currently has to pull back on my steering wheel just to be able to depress this heavy clutch with its squeaky TOB.

2002 Mineral grey GT 5 speed. Flowmaster 40's catback, Mach 1 grille delete, timing advance, push button starter, Bullitt pedals, FR500 steering wheel, K&N FIPK, Self ported upper intake w/ spacer, Pioneer Avic D3, MGW shifter, MM FL subframe connectors, Mach 1 springs, Bilstein HD struts/springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-20-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarstang View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. How does this compare to the Valeo kit on Rockauto? I'm looking to go as stock as possible with the lightest/smoothest feel. My wife currently has to pull back on my steering wheel just to be able to depress this heavy clutch with its squeaky TOB.
I honestly don't know anything about the Valeo brand. I always replaced mine when I had to with Centerforce or McLeod brand clutches.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-23-2019, 12:37 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
OEM clutch is fine. Get the Ford throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and resurface the flywheel. At 147k, you probably need a new clutch cable as well. You don't want that thing snapping and leaving you stranded.

T-trimmed black 99 GT
Terminator SB, 44cc TFS heads, HP292 cams,
RR intake, faceplated T56
20+ psi @ 7k, 10.327/136.14/1.417
post #6 of 11 Old 06-27-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
OEM clutch is fine. Get the Ford throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and resurface the flywheel. At 147k, you probably need a new clutch cable as well. You don't want that thing snapping and leaving you stranded.
That's what I was figuring, but I'm wondering where to get an OEM clutch. Ford doesn't stock it, and I've read in a few places that the OEM clutch is Valeo, or possibly Luk. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the OEM setup?

I replaced the clutch cable relatively recently (120k-ish miles?) The clutch pedal was very firm and I wanted to eliminate that as a possible problem (It wasn't, but at least I have a relatively new OEM clutch cable in there now).

post #7 of 11 Old 06-30-2019, 08:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (32)
OEM is made by Valeo. Rockauto.com carries it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve
`03 GT
post #8 of 11 Old 06-30-2019, 09:38 PM

Garage
Years ago I had a Cobra clutch kit installed, a few months ago I removed my trans. to fix a bent fork and I noticed the pressure plate was a Valeo.
Very easy to press and holds power fine.

Tropic Green Y2K GT
P-1SC, MM Stuff (393rwhp/390rwtq)
post #9 of 11 Old 07-01-2019, 06:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
what ever you decide on

make sure you actually measure the clutch stack height

you need to ensure the new one is very close, if not you may need adjust the pivot

I would highly recommend a new flywheel as well

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-04-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the awesome advice. I will go ahead and order the valeo kit from Rockauto (part # 52802005), which includes the clutch disc, pressure plate cover, throwout bearing, alignment tool, and what appears to be the pilot bearing, although the description doesn't specifically mention it. Picture of the kit is attached. Does that look like the pilot bearing in the upper right next to the alignment tool?

Per indy2000's suggestion, I'll also replace the flywheel instead of resurface it.

Attached Images
File Type: png kit.png (387.2 KB, 4 views)

post #11 of 11 Old 07-09-2019, 06:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
That does appear to be the pilot bearing in the pic. For what your doing with the car I would bring the flywheel to a local machine shop and have them look at it to see if resurfacing is an option. If it has never been machined you should be able to do that. Your pedal should be lighter after you do the clutch. Probably significantly lighter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement