Odometer fix, digital in & out - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (13)
Odometer fix, digital in & out

Anyone ever find a fix for this issue? Other than buying a new cluster? I've already changed my cluster twice. It's a pita because emissions refuses to test without the mileage showing. It comes on occasionally but turns off as soon ss I get to emissions parking lot like theres some magnetic force field in the parking lot. I was looking forward to getting over 20 years old so I would no longer worry about emissions and of course now they changed the cut off to 25 years. I'm pretty close to throwing in the towel after 12 years of having this car. This is the longest I've ever had a car for and if it wasn't for the fact I built the motor myself I'd probably have moved on by now. Idk sorry for the venting. Frustrated.

99 GT - rebuilt 4.6, 5 spd, 4.10's, P/P PI heads, V2 s-trim, Cobra Fuel tank and pumps, 42lb injectors, Flowmaster SS, and a bunch of other stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Not to mention on the way back I get the "bad coil studder". I know that one all too well. Uhg.

99 GT - rebuilt 4.6, 5 spd, 4.10's, P/P PI heads, V2 s-trim, Cobra Fuel tank and pumps, 42lb injectors, Flowmaster SS, and a bunch of other stuff.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 03:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
so there was nothing wrong with the clusters

maybe install a couple more, that may help to understand you have to diagnose

it can be many issues, probably a loose or failing comm wire

ever thought of taking to a diagnostic shop?

coil studder? what is that?

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-19-2019, 02:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
There is a ground behind the center console. It is shared with multiple devices including the cluster and radio. It is frequently messed up during a radio install. I would start there.

Confirm that all of the cluster black wires and black wires with a white stripe are able to carry a real ground current. Use a test light that will "load" the circuit. Put the test light pig tail on battery positive. Probe each of the ground wires to test. Make sure that the test light is the same brightness as when it is tested directly on the battery.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...-drop-test.56/

Here's some more information that may be of help.

Cluster PC foil trace repair.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...f.html#2657361

Here is a thread about someone that did a deep dive and had a "success" to show for it.
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for.../#post-9169025

I have also had good luck sending clusters to United Speedometer and Electric for bench repairs. The good news is they can fix all makes/models.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post

coil studder? what is that?
Bad coil... misfire

post #6 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
so there was nothing wrong with the clusters

maybe install a couple more, that may help to understand you have to diagnose

it can be many issues, probably a loose or failing comm wire

ever thought of taking to a diagnostic shop?
Nothing wrong with any of the other gauges only the (digital) odometer. I don't know, I've heard at least from local guys its a very common issue in the era of fords with the digital odometer. I'm mostly ticked off because I thought I'd be done with emissions testing this year but they bumped it to 25 years now so 5 more years of misery.

I sent the cluster out to be repaired and they were able to repair it. "instrument cluster store" in PA. Including shipping charges both ways total cost was about $190. But whatever it is done now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement