Ford Mustang Forums banner

4.6 cranks but no start (Sometimes)

7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  indy2000 
#1 ·
4.6 cranks but no start (Demon Possessed?)

Hey guys, I need some help with my dads car. He has a 96 Town Car with a 4.6 2-V. Something really weird is going on. It cranks great but it doesn't even try to start, So they flatbed it to Ford and the dealer calls and said your car starts fine, so Dad goes and takes it home. Mom drives it for a few weeks and then one morning, the same thing, it cranks and cranks, but no start. it sits for 3 days and he trys it each day and no start. They flat bed it again to ford and then they call and say it started right up for them. So dad takes it home again. The next day dad calls and says it cranks but won't start again. Isn't that nuts. It all started several months ago, mom said sometimes it wouldn't start and then you could go back a little later and then it would start. After it starts, it runs and drives perfect. Today when it wouldn't start, I turned the key and heard the fuel pump go on. When it cranks, it doesn't even try to start, just as if there is no fuel or spark. The dealer said there were no codes either. Do you guys have any ideas as to what might be going on and where we can start looking. Dad said "I'm tired of paying $80 to have it hauled to the Ford dealer and they get in it and it starts. Maybe bouncing around on the flatbed fixs it? Thanks for any thoughts!

#2 ·
Could be a wiring issue where the wire losing contact or grounding out changes with vehicle movement (like bouncing on the flatbed as you mentioned). The dealer should give you the option of leaving it there a couple days and seeing if it happens to them while it's there. So when it starts at the dealership I'm assuming you drive it home, how does it drive when it's driven back home?

#8 ·
Try cleaning the crank sensor plug with contact or mass air flow cleaner, then coat the contacts with dielectric grease . It is on the passenger side down by the A/C compressor. It is angled up and can trap moisture and muck up the contacts.
Can't say it is the same, but I had similar symptoms, cleaned the sensor and never had the problem again.

#9 ·
I had a recent experience with my 2000 GT. The car has 250k miles on the original fuel pump. After a recent cold spell I went to go to work and was met with a crank with no start. Suspecting a fuel pump problem because of the high mileage I went to get my ODB2 scanner. After connecting the scanner the next attempt to start showed perfect fuel pressure and as could be predicted it fired right up.

Over the next few days it was cold in the morning. Each time I went to start the car the results were the same. Crank with no start. Each time between the time of the first attempt and the 2nd attempt with the scanner attached, the car would fire right up.

I was faced with the option to drive around full time with the ODB2 laptop connected in order to catch it when the problem actually occurring.

So I made the decision to replace the fuel pump even though the diagnosis of a bad fuel pump hasn't been confirmed. To me it wasn't that hard of a decision based on the very high mileage and symptoms.

The car has worked perfectly after replacing the fuel pump. So it would appear to have been the correct call.

However IMO it's best to perform the full trouble shooting steps so that when the parts are replaced there's a high chance of the repair actually fixing the problem.

1996+ Crank with no start check list
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/336452-1997-mustang-wont-ignite.html

#11 ·
the ecm controls the ground to the injectors

the ecm needs a rpm signal, before it controls the injectors

did you read where i asked like 10 times what happens to the CEL?

NO tools needed, and you get direction within seconds......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.