4.6 cranks but no start (Sometimes) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (43)
4.6 cranks but no start (Demon Possessed?)

Hey guys, I need some help with my dads car. He has a 96 Town Car with a 4.6 2-V. Something really weird is going on. It cranks great but it doesn't even try to start, So they flatbed it to Ford and the dealer calls and said your car starts fine, so Dad goes and takes it home. Mom drives it for a few weeks and then one morning, the same thing, it cranks and cranks, but no start. it sits for 3 days and he trys it each day and no start. They flat bed it again to ford and then they call and say it started right up for them. So dad takes it home again. The next day dad calls and says it cranks but won't start again. Isn't that nuts. It all started several months ago, mom said sometimes it wouldn't start and then you could go back a little later and then it would start. After it starts, it runs and drives perfect. Today when it wouldn't start, I turned the key and heard the fuel pump go on. When it cranks, it doesn't even try to start, just as if there is no fuel or spark. The dealer said there were no codes either. Do you guys have any ideas as to what might be going on and where we can start looking. Dad said "I'm tired of paying $80 to have it hauled to the Ford dealer and they get in it and it starts. Maybe bouncing around on the flatbed fixs it? Thanks for any thoughts!

Just an old carpenter with a 94 Cobra and a Son with a nasty 85GT! I'm Show and he's Go!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-15-2019, 08:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Could be a wiring issue where the wire losing contact or grounding out changes with vehicle movement (like bouncing on the flatbed as you mentioned). The dealer should give you the option of leaving it there a couple days and seeing if it happens to them while it's there. So when it starts at the dealership I'm assuming you drive it home, how does it drive when it's driven back home?

2004 Comp Orange GT 5 Speed
Full Bolt On's, Long Tubes, Drag Suspension, 4.10's, 150 shot, Spec Stage 3 clutch, 3217lbs without me
post #3 of 11 Old 03-15-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperscfl View Post
Could be a wiring issue where the wire losing contact or grounding out changes with vehicle movement (like bouncing on the flatbed as you mentioned). The dealer should give you the option of leaving it there a couple days and seeing if it happens to them while it's there. So when it starts at the dealership I'm assuming you drive it home, how does it drive when it's driven back home?
It runs perfect and it may be that way for a day or a month and then it won't start again. That's the bad thing, you never know when it will happen.

Just an old carpenter with a 94 Cobra and a Son with a nasty 85GT! I'm Show and he's Go!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-16-2019, 01:19 AM

EDIS-8

https://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford...ition-module-1

This is not to say an electronic failure is your problem cause its known the panther platform wiring harness fails from old age. Especially at the computer connector on the firewall. (Real stupid where its located) I would definitely start looking into terminal corrosion at all connectors.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-16-2019, 07:44 AM

Garage
PATS

Do recall if the anti theft light was flashing, while it was cranking/no start?

Looks like the 96 didn't have PATS, never mind

Tropic Green Y2K GT
P-1SC, MM Stuff (393rwhp/390rwtq)
post #6 of 11 Old 03-16-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2vBoss View Post
EDIS-8

https://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford...ition-module-1

This is not to say an electronic failure is your problem cause its known the panther platform wiring harness fails from old age. Especially at the computer connector on the firewall. (Real stupid where its located) I would definitely start looking into terminal corrosion at all connectors.
Thanks for the link!!

post #7 of 11 Old 03-16-2019, 09:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
what happens to CEL light when you have a crank no start?

does it stay lit or go out in crank?

first diagnosis without tools that should be done

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-07-2019, 08:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Try cleaning the crank sensor plug with contact or mass air flow cleaner, then coat the contacts with dielectric grease . It is on the passenger side down by the A/C compressor. It is angled up and can trap moisture and muck up the contacts.
Can't say it is the same, but I had similar symptoms, cleaned the sensor and never had the problem again.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-07-2019, 01:23 PM

I had a recent experience with my 2000 GT. The car has 250k miles on the original fuel pump. After a recent cold spell I went to go to work and was met with a crank with no start. Suspecting a fuel pump problem because of the high mileage I went to get my ODB2 scanner. After connecting the scanner the next attempt to start showed perfect fuel pressure and as could be predicted it fired right up.

Over the next few days it was cold in the morning. Each time I went to start the car the results were the same. Crank with no start. Each time between the time of the first attempt and the 2nd attempt with the scanner attached, the car would fire right up.

I was faced with the option to drive around full time with the ODB2 laptop connected in order to catch it when the problem actually occurring.

So I made the decision to replace the fuel pump even though the diagnosis of a bad fuel pump hasn't been confirmed. To me it wasn't that hard of a decision based on the very high mileage and symptoms.

The car has worked perfectly after replacing the fuel pump. So it would appear to have been the correct call.

However IMO it's best to perform the full trouble shooting steps so that when the parts are replaced there's a high chance of the repair actually fixing the problem.

1996+ Crank with no start check list
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...nt-ignite.html
post #10 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 09:37 PM

I got a 02 mustang v8 with a no start Due to no injectors pulse on all 8 injectors I am getting power to injectors just no pulse. In need of help

post #11 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 09:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
the ecm controls the ground to the injectors

the ecm needs a rpm signal, before it controls the injectors

did you read where i asked like 10 times what happens to the CEL?

NO tools needed, and you get direction within seconds......

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement