Ford Mustang Forums banner

IAC valve question

861 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  TavisB 
#1 ·
Im having an intermittant problem with the Idle Air Control vavle gumming up and making the car stall at idle. The first time it happened I pulled it off and cleaned it. No problems for about two months. Then today it wouldn't idle at all. So I pulled the IAC off and cleaned it again, threw it back in and the car idles perfectly.

Now, I know somebody suggested buying a new IAC valve. Is there a difference between the one I have and the ones that ford is selling now? Or are they still the same?

Should I just start a routine of pulling the IAC off every month for a cleaning?

Is there a fix for this?

Also, what is the correct idle speed for my 98? Before cleaning it was idling at about 400-500 RPM's. After cleaning it idles about 600-700 RPM's (which I am assuming is about right).

Thanx.

#2 ·
Get another one. I had that same problem with my 96 for three months. There is a TSB somewhere on those IAC's going bad. I replaced it and had no problems since. The only thing I can figure is when you clean it up you just get the loose debris and when you drive you break up more stuff off the spring which in turn causes you problems later down the road. My idle (supercharged) is about 500-1000 rpms. So I think your right on. Btw, those IAC's are like $50... Hope this helps, R..

#3 ·
Thanks, man. That definitely helps. I'll probably try to pick up a new one tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.