just bought a 2008 gt500. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BadAndy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-04-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
just bought a 2008 gt500.

Just like the title says sold my nitrous feed 98 cobra , hated to see it go after 7 years with it but was ready for a up grade. So after some looking found a sweet 2008 gt500 , Rio /red with black stripes out of Mt. Vernon Indiana. Has 27,700 miles , I think I got a ok deal for 29,500.
Nope that its in the driveway I want to know more about it , is there anything I would look for or have repaired ? what is the first up grade I should do ? I want to keep the car very steerable as I will drive it about 30 miles one way everyday . I have heard about THE CLUTCH PROBLEM , WHAT SHOULD I DO TO FIX it ? 2010 clutch or aftermarket ? And who makes the best rear control arms ? any tips would be great !!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-05-2015, 11:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Congrats!

I picked up my '08 with 6k miles on it in February. Since then I've upgraded to Hotchkis Y Sport 20x9 front and 20x10 wheels rear, JLT CAI with Lund tune from Lethal Peformance, the FRPP KR axleback with a Mac pro chamber cut and clamp to replace the X pipe and most recently installed the VMP 2.5" supercharger pulley. Before the pulley it put down 463hp to the wheels at 6k rpms. It still had a lot of steam left and after contacting Lund about the pulley upgrade, he mentioned having them run it to 6500 rpms with the new pulley and I should see a significant increase.

In waiting is a set of 3.73 gears because this car is a pig with 3.31s... I also picked up the FRPP strut/shock and L spring combo from the newer performance pack cars that should drop the car about 1.25" all the way around and a BMR panhard rod to center the axle after lowering it.

My clutch chatters like hell on takeoff if I don't slip it right. The 3.73s are supposed to help with that but the only real fix is a better clutch. The most popular option is the MacLeod RXT...expensive but awesome. I'm sure I'll be doing that by next Summer.

An upgrade you'll really want that will help with Summer heat is an upgraded intercooler heat exchanger with dual fans. That's on my list as well because these engines get heat soaked REAL fast.

Another thing to look out for is the leather on the door panels. Ford used ####ty adhesive and they start falling off pretty quick. I got a set of plastic replacement from Late Model Resto but they aren't that great. The mold they used was off pretty bad and the adhesive they included dried faster than I could get pressure on all parts. I took care of that by using some 3M double sided emblem tape. That seems to be holding really well so far.

The stock speakers suck as well. I got a set of Polks for the doors and some Kickers on sale for the rear and it made a huge difference. You can also replace the door subs with the ones from Shelby which are priced decently but you really need an upgraded amp to take advantage of them and that's where the cost really is.

BMR makes really good stuff so I would check them out. I'm going to do their upper arm with upgraded mount and lowers later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel98gt
Too bad you didnt get KIA ###got.

EDIT: your girl is a fvcking whore too and im glad her POS jetta got stolen LOL
This is the kind of stuff that a "real" man says
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-05-2015, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

and my list just got longer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-05-2015, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Have you had any problem out of your clutch mine doesn't feel a solid as min 98 cobra's did , its not slipping or anything , just feels awkward sometimes. And I found a sick set of Gold color 20" rims for mine but the suckers are like 450 each
post #5 of 15 Old 05-06-2015, 01:29 PM

The clutch holds really well but the only problem I have with it is chatter when starting off in first.

That red with gold wheels should look pretty sweet! Here's mine...

Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-06-2015, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

That car is sick looking !!! I love those rims !!
post #7 of 15 Old 05-06-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Smile

I need some 20's on mine !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20150506_100139.jpg (105.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg WIN_20150506_100127.jpg (129.9 KB, 27 views)
post #8 of 15 Old 05-07-2015, 01:51 PM

Thanks! These cars really look best with 20's.

I'm usually not a big fan of the brighter reds but I like yours with the black stripes.

Quote:

post #9 of 15 Old 05-17-2015, 12:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
-Good first modifications:
Pulley, cold air, Mid-Pipe, axle back, heat exchanger, tune. That should get you to around 550 to the ground on that car. First and second gears will be unusable without drag radials.

-Supposedly those stock clutches go out at around 30k so expect to replace that soon. It might not happen for everyone but it definitely went right at 30k on my buddys car and is a VERY common problem. The RXT is the best clutch for these cars. My buddy used it and so do all the fast shop cars.

-Door panels will begin to peel from heat. There is a really good write-up that details how to scrape and reglue the existing pieces for a factory appearance with better than factory strength. Go that route, don't get covers..

-You may experience an issue where the high speed fan function fails, causing overheating in bad traffic or with AC on. It is caused by a wiring design flaw by Ford and it will typically burn out relays. ALWAYS keep an eye on the engine temp and if it gets high, fix asap. I've read that there is no real fix yet (Except for a replacement harness). Don't let it really worry you but be aware that it can and could happen to yours.

-Steering wheel buttons can flake. Replacements are cheap/easy but it is common.

That's most of what I can think of. Other than those things, the front vinyl stripes overlap on the front bumper and that drives me nuts but oh well. enjoy the ride!
post #10 of 15 Old 05-19-2015, 10:13 PM

Cool! An '08! I've got one as well, it's 4 years since I've had it, but it's still my baby.

A) chatter - yep, even with new upgraded clutch I still have it. Common on these cars. A little embarrassing.
B) Upgrade 1: Rear end shock tower stabilizers. I got Steeda. This helps tremendously with the infamous slide-to-the-left on launch that at least some of these cars have. Mine is a convertible, so it's probably worse on a vert than a solid body car. Cheap and effective upgrade.
C) Exhaust - you can upgrade the exhaust easily/cheaply. The exhaust is just clamped right behind the rear axle. Remove it from hangers, remove the clamps, and replace. Easy, cool upgrade.
D) Cold air kit. (Don't have yet).
E) I don't have it yet, but next - I want to get a new chip mod (I'm thinking SCT), and a smaller pulley for the supercharger. I'd suggest doing D) & E) as it seems that both require a chip mod. So, just do it all at once. About $1200 or so for both.

post #11 of 15 Old 05-20-2015, 04:04 PM

This is a great kit...I got something similar from somewhere else before I found out about VMP Tuning. I'd rather have a tune from VMP than the Lund tune I've got but what I have works for now.

07-12 Shelby GT500 Custom SCT X4, JLT 123MM Plastic Big Air Intake, 2.50 pulley & 90mm Idler: VMP Tuning - Superchargers, Tuners, Custom Tunes, & Performance Parts

It comes with an SCT tuner with custom tune, JLT 123mm intake and a 2.5" pulley which made my car come alive. Not bad all of that for $1,030.
nocturnalcreations likes this.

Quote:

post #12 of 15 Old 05-25-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Clutch chatter is bad might do the clutch soon ,
post #13 of 15 Old 05-26-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I'm ready to order my clutch , So question is , do need to order the kit with a new flywheel or just the clutch up grade ? I don't beat on this car so I expect it to last for more that 30,000 miles
post #14 of 15 Old 05-26-2015, 08:23 PM

Shouldn't be a problem to resurface the stock flywheel and is what I would do...no point in getting a new one unless it's messed up bad.

Quote:

post #15 of 15 Old 05-29-2015, 11:53 AM

Trader Feedback: (28)
The ceramic puck clutches they used in 07-09 usually #### up the flywheel as well as cause the clutch chatter. Most everyone I've seen do it right does the McCleod flywheel and the RXT.

There is also a procedure you can do to ensure your 2nd gear synchro is not bad, google it and you will get a step by step procedure. Common issue on these cars caused by the clutches and the limp noodle omg terribad stock shifter.

MGW 2nd generation GT500 shifter should be THE very first thing you do along with the flywheel/clutch on an 07-09.

Besides that...

-Dynatech Longtubes and mid pipe and the rest of the exhaust too
-Crank and blower pulley
-New bigger/dual fan heat exchanger
-Aftermarket gauges to monitor your AF/water/fuel/boost/oil instead of the factory crap
-VMP remote tune
-Suspension Suspension Suspension. BMR makes real good stuff, so does Whiteline and Bobs and a few others. Consider a Watt's link out back instead of an adj PHB, its far superior. These cars need every ounce of handling help they can get.

-2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048. 4V swapped, FTBR IRS, Steeda factory suspension, Ultralites, VRS X, "Exhaust Shop Special" catback.

Stock 2V computer rewired for 4V, Tuned by James Gordon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement