New GT 500 owner struggling with Mass emissions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 08-10-2014, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Angry New GT 500 owner struggling with Mass emissions

Was the happy owner of a 2010 GT500 until I went to the state inspection station get a sticker. The car has been mildly modded with long tube headers, pulleys, cat delete xpipe, and a tune via SCT X3 tuner. The inspection station has rejected me due to the emissions test. It originally failed because the emissions subsystem (catalyst and 02sensors) was in a "not ready" state. I drove the car 100 miles or so, and tried again. Still not ready. After further investigation the rear 02 sensors were disconnected. I bought harness extenders and connected the sensors and it's now failing on codes P133 and P2196 which are "pending". The previous owner is suggesting that I spend money on installing cats and then flashing the computer back to the stock tune to help pass emissions. The big issues is that the stock tune isn't very driveable considering the mods and there is risk that I could hurt the engine. I also don't know how long I would need to drive until the computer will allow the car to be inspected. Any advice is appreciated. The car was from Penn, and I live in Mass where our emissions standards are strict - second to only California. The inspection station is forgiving but tricking the state emissions computer is difficult.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-10-2014, 10:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubb23 View Post
Was the happy owner of a 2010 GT500 until I went to the state inspection station get a sticker. The car has been mildly modded with long tube headers, pulleys, cat delete xpipe, and a tune via SCT X3 tuner. The inspection station has rejected me due to the emissions test. It originally failed because the emissions subsystem (catalyst and 02sensors) was in a "not ready" state. I drove the car 100 miles or so, and tried again. Still not ready. After further investigation the rear 02 sensors were disconnected. I bought harness extenders and connected the sensors and it's now failing on codes P133 and P2196 which are "pending". The previous owner is suggesting that I spend money on installing cats and then flashing the computer back to the stock tune to help pass emissions. The big issues is that the stock tune isn't very driveable considering the mods and there is risk that I could hurt the engine. I also don't know how long I would need to drive until the computer will allow the car to be inspected. Any advice is appreciated. The car was from Penn, and I live in Mass where our emissions standards are strict - second to only California. The inspection station is forgiving but tricking the state emissions computer is difficult.
I'm an NYS inspector on light duty vehicles, I've seen monitors become ready anywhere from 50 miles to 500 miles. There's a list of steps to go through to quicken the pace at which the monitors pop up. I can't remember, but it's a long list and I'm assuming there is a pl as ce online to figure out how to do it.

No way to trick the emissions tests up here. However..... I've seen a lot of people illegally take stickers from one vehicle and putting on others.....

Best bet..... going to need cats (visually get inspected I nw York states to make sure they have them), will need to plug in o2 sensors, and will most likely have to have it retuned, in order to run proper air/fuel so the o2 sensors don't set off the check engine light...
Otherwise, in NY you are allowed one monitor not ready (for emissions on 96 and newer vehicles) on certain vehicles such as these mustangs. And luckily the o2 sensors are the last to be ready. Therefore, you may get lucky if you can reset the codes or unplug and plug the battery back up to reset all monitors, and drive the "perfect amount of miles" to ready all but the o2 monitor. Which you can check with a obd2 scanner device.....

My buddy with a 2010 whipple built/owned gt5p0, and shelby tuned had to add parts, and retune.... he then took off parts, and has a multi stage device controller.

Good luck.

post #3 of 33 Old 08-10-2014, 11:47 PM

Emissions are a complete joke. At the end of this year in Vancouver Canada they are getting rid of it because the newer vehicles run so clean. They need to start doing emissions on some of these piece of crap semi trucks on the road.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKBALLER View Post
Emissions are a complete joke. At the end of this year in Vancouver Canada they are getting rid of it because the newer vehicles run so clean. They need to start doing emissions on some of these piece of crap semi trucks on the road.

I'm moving to Canada...
post #5 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:

NY has two different sets of inspections. Emissions, and safety. Safety is on vehicles 1995 AND older, and vehicles made within 1 year of the current year. For example, since it's 2014, vehicles made in 2014 AND 2013 are safety inspections only. And next year in 2015, vehicles 2014 and 2015 vehicles will be safety inspections while 2013 now need to be tested for emissions.

Safety inspections include suspension components, lights, tires, brakes, horn, wipers, seatbelts, gas tank caps (unless capless), windshield glass, and mirrors, serpentine beltz, looking for power steering or brake fluid leaks, and things of that nature.

Emissions portion of inspections are ensuring the vehicle has catalytic converters, charcoal cans if equipped from factory, thermostatic air cleaners, stuff of that nature. ASWELL AS, plugging the vehicle into the NYVIP2 system that reads the engine for monitors ready, or not. Including KOEO, and KOER.
It's either a safety inspection, or a safety and emissions inspection. There is no solely emissions inspection.
post #6 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 06:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Sounds like the emissions inspection failures you are having are not unusual at all. You car would fail that way in many places, including here.

A properly set-up car and tune can solve your issues.
The P0133 is typical with long-tube headers, and a tune adjustment usually takes care of that issue.
The other dtc may go away once this code is resolved.

As far as the cats issue, you can get high-flow cats if they are acceptable in your locality.

For drive cycles, just drive it normal a couple of days (at varying steady speeds for 10-15 minutes at a time or more) and you'll usually get the monitors all ready, assuming there are no issues and nothing is turned off in the tune.

We too have visual and obdii emission inspection requirements; the criteria can be met and you can pass, without having to "go back to stock".

2005 Forged/stroked/cammed 5.0L -- twin turbos --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

previously, KB 2.6L stage2 @18 psi; 10.74 @128
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 4.0 V6 with Powerhouse turbo and TR6060
post #7 of 33 Old 08-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Twin Screw

Garage
Ma emissions are a joke. 15 years and older are emissions exempt. Years ago if you remember MA made all the testers buy those rollers to put the car on to test emissions. That lasted only a few years and the testers eventually ate the close to 50,000 it cost them to use this equipment. Equipment never worked correctly. That's one of the reasons I like odb1 cars and and older body style vehicles , ie older than 15 years. Trust me the "right" shop will get you a sticker. Ask around.

Pushrod Twin Screw

[email protected]
post #8 of 33 Old 08-13-2014, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Absolute joke. And this car runs really clean. I wish they would just make us pay an extra fee to bypass all this ####. And yes I do remember the dynos. Christ I built my Fox body around that emissions crap and ended up running the terrible flowing Edlebrock heads just to get it to pass. A lot of shops lost big money with those stupid dynos
post #9 of 33 Old 08-13-2014, 08:53 PM

There are allot of loop holes around emissions aswell. Well here in Canada. Only in Vancouver you required aircare. But if you had an address outside of vancouver you just said the vehicle will primarily be driven in that location and stored. So you insure for the year and don't drive it then just go in the next day and change the address to vancouver at another location and claim changr of plans. Then u are good for the year. There are loop holes in every system I am sure you guys know of some or just need to ask around.

post #10 of 33 Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Call mike at dez racing he is in mass and I am sure has delt with this problem before

post #11 of 33 Old 08-20-2014, 06:52 PM

Have you tried the stock tune? Just wondering why it wouldn't be drivable since you mainly only have an upgraded exhaust. You can get a catted pipe or have cats cut in. Preferably you'd get a catted pipe for long tubes that you could swap in at inspection time if the extra performance minus cats appeals to you.

We have pretty stringent emission inspections here as well. There are work arounds if you know the right people.

'03 Saleen S281
WAP bored .030 over, DSS rotating assembly, billet main support/Comp 278AH Cams, valve springs & retainers/6061 Plenum/Pro Perf 75mm TB/Victor Jr Intake/JLT CAI/BBK Shorties and X/SLP Powerflow CB/UPR FW adj/quadrant/FRPP 4:10's/Steeda Tri Ax/King Cobra clutch/Fidanza Alum FW
post #12 of 33 Old 08-20-2014, 07:07 PM
Twin Screw

Garage
Maybe you can ask the previous owner if he has the catted pipes he took out. If you have the handheld tuner it was tuned with you can just switch the tune for the emmisions test which is only idle stuff. Then switch back when you leave. Thing is rear o2s are looking for a certain number and are not seeing it because of cat delete. If you can get it so there is no codes and is ready for the sniff test another available car can be probed for that purpose. I dont know if they even use the tailpipe probe anymore as I havent had to do emmisions on any of my cars in a long time, they are all 15 years or older. There is a way of getting this done, just the right "parties" doing the test is key. Sorry for your troubles, I know what your going through though, dealt with this crap when my cars had to test. Its a pita to say the least. Btw who did the tune initially?

Pushrod Twin Screw

[email protected]

Last edited by 945.0; 08-20-2014 at 07:09 PM.
post #13 of 33 Old 08-21-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

The previous owner stopped working with me once I said I was going to JMS for a tune instead of BAMA. I am disgusted with this whole thing I should have just bought a Shelby from a dealership...

Apparently he had a history with JMS. That doesn't matter it's my car now and I need a legit sticker. The parts plus the tune he provided (rear 02s off) will never pass inspection in MA
post #14 of 33 Old 08-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Twin Screw

Garage
Well best bet really is to call Dez, hes local to you. Can probably get the car tuned and sent for a sticker that day. Im sure he has experience with this as he is in MA and would know the work arounds. I wouldnt beat yourself down over the purchase. You have a nice fast car and a little hurdle to overcome. Give Mike a call hes one of the best around, can bet hes run into this issue before. Take care.

Pushrod Twin Screw

[email protected]
post #15 of 33 Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Talked to Dez a couple days ago. Nice guys no doubt I'm thinking of bringing the car there to get dropped a little...the problem is that the computer apparently needs a crap load of mileage and/or driving conditions to get all the subsystems ready for test.
post #16 of 33 Old 08-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Twin Screw

Garage
Oh didnt know the mileage . Jms is very capable. I had them do an autologic back in 2000. Tune was pretty close for a mail order. Whats the sellers issue with them?

Pushrod Twin Screw

[email protected]
post #17 of 33 Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Do you need to pass to register or insure the car? If not then just drive It with no sticker...I live in jersey, I just simply do not go thru inspection at all with any of my vehicles.

post #18 of 33 Old 08-22-2014, 01:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
I would do what dez tells u if u want a sticker if not just drive it without one... He knows what will work and can tune the car down so u don't hurt it. It's gonna cost some money though for sure
post #19 of 33 Old 08-22-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis93mustang View Post
Do you need to pass to register or insure the car? If not then just drive It with no sticker...I live in jersey, I just simply do not go thru inspection at all with any of my vehicles.

That's an interesting idea. I don't know how they are in Massachusetts, but here in PA you can't get away with that for very long. We have a lot of hawkeyed cops and troopers that will snag you quickly. It's luck of the draw, but I wouldn't try it for more than a month. The ticket is over $150.

To me, the upshot of this is that the entire emissions inspection program is put in place to make sure that cars don't drive the highways without fully functioning emissions control equipment. In short, the law exists precisely to stop the OP from doing what he is doing. Point being, I wouldn't be surprised if loopholes fail to appear, and if money has to be spent to put the car in compliance with the law.
post #20 of 33 Old 08-23-2014, 05:15 PM

We dont even test them here in Indiana

86 svo t3/t4 50 trim stage 3 turbin 63ar front mount sparco , 450 lift 280 dur cam , adj cam sprocket ,atr header,alum driveshaft,5 way tokico,98 cobra brakes
2009 gt 500 jtm vpm steeda sus .84 stock svo
post #21 of 33 Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 AM

this is what I have been going to reset the obdII and works all the time for me , find and go on the highway anytime you have a clear road no traffic and least amount of cars late night, bring the car to 55mph set cruise control drive for 30 min done, its best to buy a cheap scanner and leave it plugged in so you can watch for when its ready, yellow not, red code, green good
walt
post #22 of 33 Old 09-25-2014, 08:17 AM

Bottom line you need cat converters. To clear most monitors it usually takes me no more than 15 minutes. Fuel tank needs to be just past half but no more than 3/4 full. If you live near a highway/freeway that you can drive steady for about 10 minutes between 50-65 MPH you can clear the evap system, the O2 and EGR will probably clear by the time you enter the highway. Cat converters clear in stop and go traffic from 0-40 (various MPH) 5 or 6 times. You have a 30 minute window from when you first start the car from a "cold soak" of minimum of 8 hours. Don't sit and warm up the car, just start and go...it will warm up as you drive. Also ambient temps must be above 60 degrees and no more than 120 (I think) good luck
post #23 of 33 Old 09-25-2014, 03:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastferndog View Post
Bottom line you need cat converters. To clear most monitors it usually takes me no more than 15 minutes. Fuel tank needs to be just past half but no more than 3/4 full. If you live near a highway/freeway that you can drive steady for about 10 minutes between 50-65 MPH you can clear the evap system, the O2 and EGR will probably clear by the time you enter the highway. Cat converters clear in stop and go traffic from 0-40 (various MPH) 5 or 6 times. You have a 30 minute window from when you first start the car from a "cold soak" of minimum of 8 hours. Don't sit and warm up the car, just start and go...it will warm up as you drive. Also ambient temps must be above 60 degrees and no more than 120 (I think) good luck
Unfortunate, but accurate, sorry man

We're used to it here in CA and a lot of people save their factory midpipe with the cats and switch them every couple years for smogging, only takes an hour dragging your feet.

94-04 Mustang Cobra Tech and DIY projects - dbdragster.com

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
post #24 of 33 Old 09-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Twin Screw

Garage
Put up a thread in the northeast section. Maybe you can snag a cat pipe, or borrow one for testing. Thats why I love obd1. When they had to pass emmisions you could just remove the tail sniffer. You could actually put it in another newer cars tailpipe to pass. This new crap car has to be plugged in. But do get a sticker. New thing towns and citys are passing in MA is a cop can ticket your car parked on the road for expired sticker now. They never used to do that before. And it might actually be tied to dmv when you test. There is a chip implanted in the new MA plates that when running down the highway state police scan and anything comes up they look around and pull you over. I found this out on a road trip 3 years ago when the owners car we were in forgot to renew registration. Cop flew by like nothing, we were in slow lane with alot of cars around, he was in high speed. He got about 10 car lenghts up, slowed down looking around and pulled in behind us. Plate info in in the plate and they scan as they drive bringing up info and any red flags tied to your car come up.

Pushrod Twin Screw

[email protected]
post #25 of 33 Old 09-26-2014, 12:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I come in this on the back end so I apologize if I ask a question that was ask earlier.....Sounds like they actually look to see if the Cats are on the car if thats the case then getting cats is the only choice. I live in NC and I don't have cats on 2 of my mustangs but its turned off in the tune. I figure unless they look for them then you are a done deal or if they put the thing in the tail pipe you are done but if they don't do either of those and you have a handheld or a tuner shop then cutting them off in the cpm or handheld shouldn't be a big deal.

Christ First.
Romans 12:2
post #26 of 33 Old 09-26-2014, 09:18 PM

Hi there,

Your best bet is to get a code scanner and see which sensor etc are ready or not. Also in your tune do you know what is turned on/off? You will need to turn everything on that is for certain. Dez Racing or Performance Dyno (pete Johnson) in NH will set you straight. I had an issue this past year and was flagged, in my prior tune I had some sensor's off, so had to go back to tuner to turn them all back on and had to visit the MAC center ( I went to one were they were a bit more favorable to performance mods but you have to have at least hi flow cats as they do a visual.) It took some time to get all my sensor's into the ready state. The last one to turn on was evap system, to get that ready you need to keep the car between 3/4 tank to 1.4 tank full and do some highway driving at a constant speed aprx 65 mph for a bit. (a mix of stop and go traffic then I hopped on the highway and couple of days in a row and it did the trick.)

2000 Mustang GT Vert

Current Mods:18" BBS RK Wheels, UPR Hi Flo Cats; Borla Stingers,Novi 1k with procharger 3 core IC, FMS 42lb injectors, Cobra hat/pumps/tank, pro-m protube, afm f42 cams, 100% stock block/internals, 3.73 gears = 412 rwhp/389 rwtq.
post #27 of 33 Old 09-26-2014, 09:23 PM

below is what u need in I/M codes

Catalyst monitor -ready
Catalyst heater - not supported
Evap system - ready
Secondary air - not supported
Ac system - not supported
O2 sensor monitor- ready
O2 sensor heater- ready
Egr monitor -ready

2000 Mustang GT Vert

Current Mods:18" BBS RK Wheels, UPR Hi Flo Cats; Borla Stingers,Novi 1k with procharger 3 core IC, FMS 42lb injectors, Cobra hat/pumps/tank, pro-m protube, afm f42 cams, 100% stock block/internals, 3.73 gears = 412 rwhp/389 rwtq.
post #28 of 33 Old 09-27-2014, 01:12 AM

Garage
I don't know if Pypes or another company makes them for your year and model, but I know they make X-pipes that you can easily put the cats in and remove them and put the "test" pipes in, all without having to drop the exhaust at all.

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
post #29 of 33 Old 10-22-2014, 07:29 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Lol I literally go through this every year with my 2011.

My solution:

Every year around that time, I jack/lift the car up, drop the off-road pipe out, swap the stock pipe in, throw on the stock tune (so that o2's read), drive it 50+miles with multiple ignition on/off cycles, then take it in. Passes like a charm every time. After I get the sticker I jack it back up and swap off road stuff back on.

Facts:
-It can't be fixed in a tune. You have to have o2's in place and the computer has to be reading them.

-In order for rear o2's to read properly, Catalytic Converters have to be in place. Otherwise they will throw an emissions code via Check Engine Light.

-the stock tune will work alright as long as the stock mid-pipe or catted mid-pipe are in place. Even with the other upgrades. Just keep your foot out of it so that you don't build boost and your A/F ratio won't be thrown off. The car isn't as stupid as you think.

Good luck and have fun!
post #30 of 33 Old 10-24-2014, 08:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0thunder View Post
Facts:
-It can't be fixed in a tune. You have to have o2's in place and the computer has to be reading them.

-In order for rear o2's to read properly, Catalytic Converters have to be in place. Otherwise they will throw an emissions code via Check Engine Light.

-the stock tune will work alright as long as the stock mid-pipe or catted mid-pipe are in place. Even with the other upgrades. Just keep your foot out of it so that you don't build boost and your A/F ratio won't be thrown off. The car isn't as stupid as you think.

Good luck and have fun!
I assume for these cars that you can turn off the rear O2 sensors with a handheld tuner, along with rear gear ratio and other DIY type stuff. I did that on mine and I could have my off road x-pipe in and not throw any codes.

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
post #31 of 33 Old 10-25-2014, 01:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
My 2011 5.0 was procharged and had a offroad. I had one of the best local tuners in Dallas tune it and it passed everytime.

2011 5.0
and many more!
post #32 of 33 Old 10-27-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:

Agreed, no aircare will be nice but it really was blowing on a forest fire...

"There are 760 million cars in the world today emitting approx 78,599 tons of Sulphur Oxides (SOx) annually. The world's 90,000 vessels burn approx 370 million tons of fuel per year emitting 20 million tons of Sulphur Oxides. That equates to 260 times more Sulphur Oxides being emitted by ships than the worlds entire car fleet"

Big polluters: one massive container ship equals 50 million cars
post #33 of 33 Old 11-12-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy281 View Post
My 2011 5.0 was procharged and had a offroad. I had one of the best local tuners in Dallas tune it and it passed everytime.
That is a false statement. Your car with an offroad pipe would not PASS any inspection ANYWHERE that has inspections. The fact that either A. The inspector was completely incompetent and didn't look for catalytic converters or B: you knew him\paid him off to pass the car does not mean it passed. You have to have converters to pass. End of story. You Got BY, not passed.
Two very different outcomes.

'94 GT5.0 5speed, 170,000 mile long block, GT40, FRPP headers, 65mm TB, Pro 5.0, 3:55s, pulleys, Flowmaster, BBK X-pipe, FRPP Cobra front AND rear brakes, Tokico 5-way Illumina struts and shocks, Eibach springs: 235 rwhp, 291 rwtq.
04 Screaming Yellow Cobra - pretty much stock.
458 rwhp, 435 rwtq.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement