Check engine light driving 2014 GT500 off showroom floor - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-04-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Check engine light driving 2014 GT500 off showroom floor

WTF?!

Car had probably been sitting in the showroom for 2-3 weeks and hadn't been cranked in that time. Salesman jumps in it, cranks it and instantly revs the thing like Jimmie Johnson. My immediate thought, "why the f would he do that? Trying to break it?"

Dad buys car, regardless. We're driving it home (5 miles down the road, haven't even pushed the car past half throttle/4.5k rpm and I hear what sounds like engine knock. I ask my dad, is the check engine light on? No. Seriously about a mile down the road, it comes on. On our way back to the dealership we notice it happens usually with the clutch engaged on decel, and also when somewhat in throttle. It's at the dealership now and the technician will check it out on Monday. Guy was trying to tell me it was something minor and I just have a hard time believing a handbuilt car with fairly premier components is jut going to have a check engine light with 200 miles on the odometer. My first thought was bad gas but when it started doing it during decel I also remembered the salesman revving it to the moon on ice cold start and thought maybe it spun a main bearing? Idk. Pretty gigantic cluster####.

Anyone else heard of this or have any clues?

Last edited by go302; 08-04-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-04-2013, 04:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Car could have definitely been filled with 87 octane. Think how many cars a dealer sells, how many times the wash boy has been sent to the station to fill them, how many times he hits the 87 octane button.
good luck,

99 Cobra Red and Charcoal, KB, Tri ax, 3.73, Alum flywheel and driveshaft, JBA shorties, Magnaflow X and catback.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 AM

Oh really,
The Car had probably been locating in the shop for 2-3 weeks and hadn't been cranked in that time, it's very nice information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-05-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrifrand View Post
Oh really,
The Car had probably been locating in the shop for 2-3 weeks and hadn't been cranked in that time, it's very nice information.
I do not understand your reply, if it is about the gasoline. Your assumptions are 1 in a million and have no history of affecting the operation of the car. If you are not aware, the dealer fills the tank for you on a new car purchase, so maybe my previous post has some relevance under those conditions.

99 Cobra Red and Charcoal, KB, Tri ax, 3.73, Alum flywheel and driveshaft, JBA shorties, Magnaflow X and catback.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Once I saw/head the over revving on a cold motor, that car would have stayed where it was. This probably happens more than we think since he did right in front of you and your dad.

91 Notch: 331 KB 2.2,AFR 185,1 5/8" LT headers
03 DSG Mach 1
11.85 @ 112.87 NA 2/28/09
10.91 @ 124.21 N2O 2/28/09
post #6 of 6 Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Post on SVTP had same issue. I think it was a bad mass air meter right from the factory. It happens. Hope it's something small and easy like that.

To fly is Heavenly, to hover is divine.
Don't let your mouth write a check your a$$ can't cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement