Will a custom tune void warranty? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-02-2012, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Will a custom tune void warranty?

I am assuming that a custom tune will void your warranty. Looking for some feedback.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uneedav8 View Post
I am assuming that a custom tune will void your warranty. Looking for some feedback.
Unfortunately yes. Since you are messing with the brains of the car then anything that fails could be put on the blame of the new tune (i.e. running too lean causing detonation..which causes the motor to blow or heat up and then blows

You have to put yourself on the side of ford and think about it. Why would you guarantee a vehicle if someone else mods it with a tune..no way..cannot cover that and the owner of the car should be accountable for any damage.

post #3 of 16 Old 11-07-2012, 01:51 AM

From the sct website

Will SCT's Products Void my new vehicle warranty?

The simple answer is no, unless the manufacturer of the vehicle can prove SCT's product has damaged the vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits the manufacturer from doing so. For more information on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, below are a few articles relating to this topic:
Wikipedia Magnuson Moss Act Information

TFS track heet intake TFS Track heet heads Stock block Procharger P1-SC @ 11psi Aeromotive AFPR Snow methanol inj 60 Psi SD injectors Pro-M univer mass air 75mm throttle body Fluidyne rad T5 with bassani O/R x pipe bbk short headers
PMS With SCT CHIP for fan and injector settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 11-08-2012, 06:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt_vert_procharged View Post
From the sct website

The simple answer is no, unless the manufacturer of the vehicle can prove SCT's product has damaged the vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits the manufacturer from doing so. For more information on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, below are a few articles relating to this topic:
True but it was really intended for things like oil,filters, plugs and such.Will it void your warranty no.BUT you have to prove it and the vehicle will stay apart till the out come which can take along time.so do you want to have a car "down" untill the fault is admitted? and ford has alot deeper pockets that you ever thought of.Stan

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #5 of 16 Old 11-08-2012, 08:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (46)
ah yeah
post #6 of 16 Old 11-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneedav8 View Post
I always recommend to my customers to speak to their service manager about any mods if they are concerned with warranty voidance as Ford leaves warranty voidance up to the individual dealerships to handle. Be sure to mention it is a Steeda product.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (12)
Garage
My friend had a brand new 2014 GT500 with a VMP tune, cold air, pulley, exhaust, TB and burned a hole in his piston and Ford said sorry about your luck. They saw he had a custom tune and swapped out the pulley. Needless to say...he wasn't to happy.

91 GT 302 ***SOLD***
2006 GT, Hellion Turbo, TCI Automatic, etc, etc, etc...best 10.97 @ 127.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-09-2014, 01:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Quote:
From the sct website

Careful here - as a practical matter, all the dealer has to do is say "we're not going to honor this warranty claim because we believe modifications you made to the car caused the problem to occur".....and notwithstanding Magnusson-Moss, you now are forced to press your case with the dealer and/or Ford.

Michael Yount - Charlotte, NC - 82 Volvo 242 - 6.2L; '17 Mazda3; '16 CrossTrek
post #9 of 16 Old 07-09-2014, 01:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon View Post
I always recommend to my customers to speak to their service manager about any mods if they are concerned with warranty voidance as Ford leaves warranty voidance up to the individual dealerships to handle. Be sure to mention it is a Steeda product.
And careful here -- even the most well-intended Service Managers have been (and will be in the future) over-ridden by others above them in the dealership management chain or by Ford representatives who are ultimately responsible for paying the dealer to honor the warranty.

There is no substitute for actually READING the warranty of your new car. It, and it alone, is the contract between you and the manufacturer regarding what is covered and not covered under the factory warranty. If it's unclear or there is a disagreement about the meaning - then all sorts of folks (dealer personnel, you, your lawyer, Ford personnel, their lawyers, etc.) get involved in trying to sort it out.

So - for a few more HP only available at the top end of the tach, is it really worth taking the risk? Not for me.

Michael Yount - Charlotte, NC - 82 Volvo 242 - 6.2L; '17 Mazda3; '16 CrossTrek
post #10 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 10:06 AM

Micheal Yount is 100% correct.

Anybody who asks if Ford will void a warranty as a result of a tune has no knowledge of the 6.0 Powerstroke. Born as the International VT365, it was factory hot rodded for the pick up truck HP wars. No international truck commercial truck had a VT365 producing as much power as a 6.0 Powerstroke. Add iffy emissions controls, crapping high pressure fuel pumps and idiot tuners cranking in an extra 200 HP (diesels are ridiculously easy to "tune," just add fuel) and things were blowing up everywhere.

Ford sued International. International almost went bankrupt. FORD KNOWS TUNERS.

I always laugh when the naive quote the MM Act. Walk into any car dealer with a warranty claim and the dealer must follow a strict diagnostic procedure. If there is any sign of modifications and specifically tuning (Ford has diagnostic tools that can find a "tuner footprint" even if the original tuner has been reloaded). The dealer MUST report findings to Ford. you have to ask yourself what dealer in his right mind would jeopardize his franchise agreement by lying or omitting information on your warranty claim?

As far aftermarket parts manufacturers guaranteeing warranty compliance, that's even more laughs. Read the "guarantee."

Many moron Powerstroke owners ditched their OEM intakes and air-filters for K&N style units. K&N makes some sort of promise about not voiding warranties. The fact is Ford supplied Powerstrokes with Donaldson air filters. Donaldson air filters flow better, filter better and can hold pounds of dirt without loss of performance. Google "dusted Powerstroke" to get an idea of how many guys ruined their engines by running a washable filter off road. There are hundreds of warrantee denial stories on the internet. i have never found one story of any washable filter maker paying to replace any engine after a manufacturer warranty turn down.

I don't know about the latest Mustangs, but Ford diesel pickups have large decals in the engine bay specifically prohibiting modifications.

Look what I found. a genuine Ford Technical Service Bulletin about aftermarket mods on Mustangs - specifically tuners - complete with that diagnostic chart I mentioned. Of course it's followed by Mustang Daily's editorial comment about the MM Act.

Ford issues TSB warning against modifications and aftermarket parts for the 2011+ Mustang | Mustangs Daily

P.S.: Canned tunes are BS. Put your car on a dyno or don't bother.

post #11 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon View Post

You are out of your mind. Post a Ford franchise agreement or warranty procedure that allows dealer discretion outside of very minor "good will" adjustments.

Back in 2004, I filed a warranty claim on the drivers seat of my 2004 Mach 1 at my friend's dealership. He subbed out upholstery and when the replacement seat foam came in, instead of dropping my car off at the dealership, I took the foam and my car directly to the upholstery shop. Three days after getting the seat fixed the dealer called me. "Did you take the old foam?" It was in my trunk. If the dealer didn't ship the defective foam back to Ford for their inspection, the claim would be charged back to him. I thought he was joking until I read the claim form. This for a lousy piece of foam back in 2004. And you think dealers have discretion over blown engines today?

And the customer with a voided warranty should point out Steeda was the suspected cause why? So the service manager can laugh about a more expensive name brand Steeda product blowing the warranty instead of a cheap copy?

You sound like my "favorite" aftermarket supplier, J.R. Granatelli.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 01:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
IMHO it will depend on if you are good with the service people if you are then they will probably be willing to help you out, but from what I have seen from car companies as a whole they are looking for reasons not to pay for warranty claims. I wouldn't do it until it goes out of warranty or if you do then be prepared to pay for the repairs if anything happens.

Christ First.
Romans 12:2
post #13 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 08:34 PM

Just tell 'em you bought your tuner from STEEDA and everything's gonna be A.O.K.!

"Good news, Mr. Jones!" Dearborn originally voided your warranty, but after they saw a scan of your STEEDA receipt, you're getting a brand new engine! Good thing you didn't buy that tuner from American Muscle. Good move on your part."
post #14 of 16 Old 07-11-2014, 09:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muroc View Post
You are out of your mind. Post a Ford franchise agreement or warranty procedure that allows dealer discretion outside of very minor "good will" adjustments.

Back in 2004, I filed a warranty claim on the drivers seat of my 2004 Mach 1 at my friend's dealership. He subbed out upholstery and when the replacement seat foam came in, instead of dropping my car off at the dealership, I took the foam and my car directly to the upholstery shop. Three days after getting the seat fixed the dealer called me. "Did you take the old foam?" It was in my trunk. If the dealer didn't ship the defective foam back to Ford for their inspection, the claim would be charged back to him. I thought he was joking until I read the claim form. This for a lousy piece of foam back in 2004. And you think dealers have discretion over blown engines today?
It has to be that way for multiple reasons.

First, without return parts, dealers will steal from Ford.

Second, if it is a major expense overall to Ford, Ford would want to know why the part failed.

There are a few things the dealer can get away with where the service manager or tech can help, but for anything large a factory rep will be poking into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #15 of 16 Old 04-12-2015, 06:53 PM

In one word "YES"
post #16 of 16 Old 04-12-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
From the sct website

This is correct the warranty act will make the manufacturer have to prove in court that whatever failed was caused by the tune. Unfortunately this will be very easy for them for two reasons. The first is they only have to tell you it was caused by the tune....if you want to peruse it you will pay for a lawyer, wait for a date, postponement etc which brings me to my second point....they have more money and better lawyers than most people can dream about.

It is best to remove the tune EVERYTIME you get it serviced at the dealership or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement