2013 GT500 rear diff?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-06-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (8)
2013 GT500 rear diff??

Curious if anyone knows anything about the 2013 gt500 rears.... I have a 93 GT that im going to be building a rear for, some serious HP. I want a streetable rear if possible and figured id see if the gt500 would work?

Anyone know anything about them?? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-06-2012, 08:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
2013 GT-500 uses the same differential as the Boss Mustang. made by Torsen.
It's a geared limited slip differential like a Detroit Tru-Trac vs. a clutch pack friction system used in the GT's, but it is torque biased vs slip biased like the Tru-Trac.

Just bought one for my project. They are very expensive at $1,000, but are state-of-the-art.

Beyond that the 2013 GT-500 has a 3.31 gear and 31 spline axles.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep sitting down and voting on whats for lunch.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Founder corral.net

Trader Feedback: (0)
I have used just about every differential made for the Mustang with the exception of two: the Detroit Locker, and a spool (which technically isn't a differential at all).

Here's my take:
- Ford Traction-Lok:
In GT500's after 2010 these included a set of carbon fiber clutches which when driven slowly around tight turns causes a moaning noise. These are more durable than the stock Traction-Lok's fiber-based clutches, but even the GT500 rear will suffer from eventual failure. The good thing is that these are rebuildable; however, the cost of a couple of rebuilds would pay for a better differential.

- Auburn Pro:
The Auburn Pro was used on our project race car. While it is an improvement on durability over a stock traction-lok, it's not ideal for a road race car. It managed to live for 40-hours of race time and then was done. The problem is that the Auburn Pro is NOT rebuildable. So once it goes it is gone. At over $400 for a new one, this is not a unit I'd recommend for anything other than an occasionally driven street-rod.

- Torsen T2R:
The Torsen T2R is the race version of the Torsen T2 found in the 2012+ Boss 302 and 2013+ GT500. The Torsen lasted a little longer in our race car than the Auburn Pro and the Torsen T2 is rebuildable. In the end though, the T2R failed as well. It took about 50 race hours to fail.

- Detroit Power-Trax Gold:
This is the current differential that is in the race car. So far it has about 10 hours on it but we expect it to last longer than the others because of it's locking design. Is it suitable for a street car? Honestly it's hard to say. On the track I can't feel the differential lock and unlock, but there's a lot going on in the race car and a lot of rattling and banging. So any noise that would be unacceptable in a street car would be hard to hear in the race car.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement