belt slipping and loosing boost - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
belt slipping and loosing boost

ever since i put on a pulley and had it dyno tuned at Brenspeed I've had a problem that if i get on it that once in a while the belt feels like its slipping and i see the boost gauge drop and hop loosing lots of horsepower.

I'm only pushing 537 to the rear wheels and I don't have much done. vmp pulley, metco idler, JLT intake, and whipple throttle body are all that are done performance wise.

its slowly gotten worse to. I dynoed it in November right before i stored it for winter and it only happened once on the drive home. now that i took it out finally a few weeks ago its getting worse.

does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be? it might not be the belt slipping but it sure feels like it I donno. does anyone know what this probably is? could it be a bad belt or possibly the tensioner going bad slowly? i thought about a heavy duty tensioner and new belt but don't want to spend 300 or so if its not the problem. I'm stumped any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Trader Feedback: (4)
Garage
I prefer the VMP 90 mm stealth idler to the other styles. I'm up in the mid 600's and no issues with belt slip.

In Loving Memory of Dave Bandt
11/19/69-3/23/08

1990 Mustang GT Ragtop
1992 Mustang GT Vortech Supercharged
1994 Mustang Cobra Vortech Supercharged
1995 Mustang GTS
1995 Mustang GT Ragtop
1995 Lightning 427 Windsor Procharger F2
2019 F150 3.5 Eco
post #3 of 3 Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Founder corral.net

Trader Feedback: (0)
My guess is that you need to put an idler pulley of some kind on there. The problem with using a smaller pulley is you get less surface area contact when the belt is routed in the factory route path. An idler pulley will wrap the belt around the smaller pulley a little better for more contact.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement