2010/11 GT500 AdvanceTrak problem - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Did your cars advancetrak come on?
Yes 2 33.33%
No 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Founder corral.net

Trader Feedback: (0)
2010/11 GT500 AdvanceTrak problem

OK my 2011 GT500 is having a very strange problem. The AdvanceTrac can come on under certain circumstances. When it comes on the car becomes basically undrivable. I would like to see if anyone else is having this problem.

It may be limited to 2011 cars with the electric power assist. But what happens is that as you drive down the road the ABS actuates the front wheels in an attempt to steer the car.

Here's how I got it to do it:
  • start the car
  • hit the traction control button twice to put the car in sport mode
  • drive a short distance
  • stop completely
  • turn the wheel at least one full turn and leave it there
  • put the car in 3rd
  • stall it out
  • let the car sit for a couple of seconds
  • without turning the car off, restart it
  • make a turn to the right and then straighten the wheel
  • after about 100-200 feet of driving straight the car should begin actuating the front brakes

To get the car to stop doing this you'll have to shut it off again.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Christopher Ihara; 09-01-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Ihara View Post
OK my 2011 GT500 is having a very strange problem. The AdvanceTrac can come on under certain circumstances. When it comes on the car becomes basically undrivable. I would like to see if anyone else is having this problem.

It may be limited to 2011 cars with the electric power assist. But what happens is that as you drive down the road the ABS actuates the front wheels in an attempt to steer the car.

Here's how I got it to do it:
  • start the car
  • hit the traction control button twice to put the car in sport mode
  • drive a short distance
  • stop completely
  • turn the wheel at least one full turn and leave it there
  • put the car in 3rd
  • stall it out
  • let the car sit for a couple of seconds
  • without turning the car off, restart it
  • make a turn to the right and then straighten the wheel
  • after about 100-200 feet of driving straight the car should begin actuating the front brakes

To get the car to stop doing this you'll have to shut it off again.

Holly crap!! I cant help you but my suggestion is don't do that!

How in the world did you figure out that sequence?

Someone at Ford would probably be interested in knowing that sequence, as I'm sure it could possibly be tripping something in the software.

93 Cobra April 2003 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords "HIS SLIPS ARE SEALED"

"Thrill Ride Unlimited" Performance Center
post #3 of 14 Old 09-03-2010, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Founder corral.net

Well, I usually drive in Sport mode. I accidentally stalled the car out just before making a right turn. Fired the car back up, had to wait for traffic, then completed my right turn. After a few feet the car started activating the brakes and making all kinds of terrible noises. Had to pull over and shut the car off. It was almost undrivable and I think if you did it for any length of time you'd either overheat the brakes or wear them out in fairly short order.

Plus you can't really drive the car when it's doing that anyway. It pulls hard to one side each time it happens. It almost feels as if you're hitting a deep puddle and the car is being pulled to one side. I never went up to highway speeds to see how far up it would go. Didn't want to take a chance on crashing.

But it's not a totally implausible scenario. The test procedures sound more cumbersome than they really are, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who drives around in Sport mode.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Trader Feedback: (4)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Ihara View Post
Well, I usually drive in Sport mode. I accidentally stalled the car out just before making a right turn. Fired the car back up, had to wait for traffic, then completed my right turn. After a few feet the car started activating the brakes and making all kinds of terrible noises. Had to pull over and shut the car off. It was almost undrivable and I think if you did it for any length of time you'd either overheat the brakes or wear them out in fairly short order.

Plus you can't really drive the car when it's doing that anyway. It pulls hard to one side each time it happens. It almost feels as if you're hitting a deep puddle and the car is being pulled to one side. I never went up to highway speeds to see how far up it would go. Didn't want to take a chance on crashing.

But it's not a totally implausible scenario. The test procedures sound more cumbersome than they really are, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who drives around in Sport mode.

Sport Mode is all I use unless I'm drag racing. it's worked flawlessly for me Chris... I had reservations about the '11 model and the "new stuff" like the steering and the coated block. Kinda glad I canceled the order and went with a '10 now...

In Loving Memory of Dave Bandt
11/19/69-3/23/08

1990 Mustang GT Ragtop
1992 Mustang GT Vortech Supercharged
1994 Mustang Cobra Vortech Supercharged
1995 Mustang GTS
1995 Mustang GT Ragtop
1995 Lightning 427 Windsor Procharger F2
2019 F150 3.5 Eco
post #5 of 14 Old 09-03-2010, 12:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Wow. That's totally plausible. If you were stopped about to turn right onto a freeway (I encounter this scenario every morning, sit at a stop sign about to turn right onto a 4 lane highway, speed limit 60) and turning and accelerating quickly to get up to speed, and it did it... that would be scary. Hopefully a resolution comes soon!

I'm gonna be pretty upset if I end up having to murder Kenny Loggins.

-Archer
post #6 of 14 Old 09-07-2010, 09:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I haven't had that happen in my 11 but I'll try it today at lunch. I drive too in Sport Mode

2012 Ford Super Duty - Lifted, Loaded, and Louder
93 Notch - GT40 Crate Engine, V3 SCI , Kenny Brown, Weld RTS, etc...
post #7 of 14 Old 09-07-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Founder corral.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRohr View Post
I haven't had that happen in my 11 but I'll try it today at lunch. I drive too in Sport Mode
Did you get a chance to try it?

post #8 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 02:18 PM

I am picking up my 2011 GT500 next week. I'll be sure to test this.

Eric

Check me out on Youtube, and Instagram: EKAutoTech
2011 Mustang Shelby GT500, SVT PP

94 GT, Vortech V2 SQ, Cobra intake, Edlebrock 65mm TB, Pro-M 75mm mass air, 30# inj, Flowmasters, Hooker headers, BBk H-pipe, Walbro 255, 3.55 gears,kyb shocks/struts, 17x9 svt Chrome Cobra R's, 275/50/17 Nittos
post #9 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Founder corral.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekafrawy View Post
I am picking up my 2011 GT500 next week. I'll be sure to test this.

Eric
Were you able to test this?

Also just so you know if your car was built between April and August your EPAS system may have the active nibble cancellation turned off. Be sure to have your car checked for the latest TSB to fix this problem.

post #10 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 04:54 PM

Hi Christopher,
I just got my shelby yesterday. I will test this out this week.

I will also check the build date of the car as well. Can you explain what the EPAS system issue is about?

Thanks!
Eric

94 GT, Vortech V2 SQ, Cobra intake, Edlebrock 65mm TB, Pro-M 75mm mass air, 30# inj, Flowmasters, Hooker headers, BBk H-pipe, Walbro 255, 3.55 gears,kyb shocks/struts, 17x9 svt Chrome Cobra R's, 275/50/17 Nittos
post #11 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Founder corral.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekafrawy View Post
Hi Christopher,
I just got my shelby yesterday. I will test this out this week.

I will also check the build date of the car as well. Can you explain what the EPAS system issue is about?

Thanks!
Eric
The active nibble cancellation on the 2011 Shelby GT500 is turned off on cars produced between April and August. This can cause a vibration in the steering wheel at speeds of 50 MPH and up. The active nibble cancellation senses road forces acting on the tires and then applies opposite force to counteract it. This provides a smooth steering feel when driving down the road.

With active nibble cancellation turned off you may feel a vibration that closely approximates a wheel out of balance. This will get progressively worse as speed goes up.

The TSB to fix this issue is:
TSB# 10-16-4

It is simply a software re-flash and immediately took care of the problem I had been having with vibration.

post #12 of 14 Old 09-30-2010, 03:32 PM

I wasn't able to reproduce your issue. My build date is 08/10

post #13 of 14 Old 02-09-2011, 12:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
chris i just got a 2011 but with the weather i havent been able to drive it except for the drive home from dealer...but here's my info my best friend has a 2010 ford f150 his truck is doing this but without the stalling, he has had it back 6 times infact he picked it up tonight from the dealer, they think its in the computer he had the manager of dealer in it driving down the highway and the brakes just lockup on thier own,, ford is baffled, the mechanics have no idea to fix it, its the only one they have seen so far..he is lemon lawing the truck.. it could be a glitch in the sensor or computer from ford...its very weird and i hope they figure it out cause i basically dumped my life into buying this car i def do not wanna go thru that...
post #14 of 14 Old 08-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
2010 GT500 here. Always drive in Sport mode and never had this issue.

To fly is Heavenly, to hover is divine.
Don't let your mouth write a check your a$$ can't cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement