? for someone who knows GT500 clutches - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
? for someone who knows GT500 clutches

Bought a wrecked GT500 over the winter. Fixed it up and went on my first drive here a bit ago. The clutch slips like crazy. I figured I just bought a car with a bad clutch till I talked to the previous owner who said the clutch worked perfect when he wrecked it. Only thing I can think of is that a brake line was broke and the resevoir was dry. Pedal doesn't feel too bad but am I missing something that could cause it to slip? There was no damage anywhere near the clutch area. Thanks for any help.

I would like to thank all those who wreck there stangs and let the insurance company have them. It allows me to drive great cars I could never afford. Your salvage, my cool car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Trader Feedback: (18)
yeah it could be the slave cylinder not allowing the pressure plate to release all the way, did you bleed it several times to get all the air out?

96 cobra new build in progress for 650whp!
06 bmw 325i- daily driver/ grocery getter
08 Sport Track ADRENALIN 3 VALVE 4.6 mods coming soon!
post #3 of 12 Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

No I didn't bleed it at all yet, justa assumed the clutch was shot till I talked to the previous owner last night. Looks like you have to bleed it with vacumn? Thanks

I would like to thank all those who wreck there stangs and let the insurance company have them. It allows me to drive great cars I could never afford. Your salvage, my cool car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

update, I took the line off between clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder to deliberately allow air into the systme. Pumped the clutch up just enough so I could get it in gear, then took it for a ride. Clutch still slips so I would think that would rule out the master cylinder not allowing all the pressure to return. Must be the clutch itself or slave cylinder, either one would require dissassembly. Any other ideas appreciated, not looking forward to removing the clutch. Thanks

post #5 of 12 Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
You didn't mention the year. '07-'09 clutches had some problems with slippage. If it wasn't taken in for the TSB and update to the 2010 clutch, it could be just shot.

Lucas
2011 Mustang GT
2013 Fusion Titanium
post #6 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 01:09 PM

both are dual disc setups...the revised being much bigger in circumference with more surface disc area..

this is the old setup:

and here the new revised setup:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Let the Fox 4.6 Conversion Begin!
wifes ride
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my fake snake 89 svt cobra-
post #7 of 12 Old 07-25-2010, 05:49 AM

I toasted my 07 stock clutch bone stock with ~ 37k miles and 2 trips to the drag strip with slipping nittos. Ford would not honor the TSB due to miles but flywheel was visably warped. It worked fine until the day it quit pulling. i did not notice any signs of slip until it was extreme. Replaced with a ram twin disc and adjustable throwout. I used the steel spacers and the noise it makes with the clutch pressed in bothers me, like when I go through drive through window, etc. It definitely has the twin disc rattle. I should have used the "street" composite spacers that came with the kit to help the rattle. But now I am about 630rwhp and I know this clutch will not fail me, despite the rattle. Pulling the tranny is not fun on this car, so I don't want to do it unless a 4r70w is going back in.

Caleb
post #8 of 12 Old 08-21-2010, 10:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (48)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukejoh View Post
I toasted my 07 stock clutch bone stock with ~ 37k miles and 2 trips to the drag strip with slipping nittos. Ford would not honor the TSB due to miles but flywheel was visably warped. It worked fine until the day it quit pulling. i did not notice any signs of slip until it was extreme. Replaced with a ram twin disc and adjustable throwout. I used the steel spacers and the noise it makes with the clutch pressed in bothers me, like when I go through drive through window, etc. It definitely has the twin disc rattle. I should have used the "street" composite spacers that came with the kit to help the rattle. But now I am about 630rwhp and I know this clutch will not fail me, despite the rattle. Pulling the tranny is not fun on this car, so I don't want to do it unless a 4r70w is going back in.

Caleb
Did they by any chance say what the "cutoff" mileage is to honor the TSB? They should have honored yours - did you push hard and take it up to district rep or beyond?

Tom Moss
2010 Shelby GT500 vert with 2.9L 16 psi Whipple and rim upgrade. Rated 750HP/713TQ - 673/620 to the tire

src="/forums/images/smilies/salute.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Salute" class="inlineimg" />http://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/
post #9 of 12 Old 08-21-2010, 09:24 PM

TSB's are just that...service bulletins to help techs diagnosis common problems with a particular vehicle or vehicles....

if your vehicle still falls under warranty the 3/36,000 bumper to bumper or if you also have the extended service plans....it will be covered through ford...

Let the Fox 4.6 Conversion Begin!
wifes ride

my fake snake 89 svt cobra-
post #10 of 12 Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoss View Post
Did they by any chance say what the "cutoff" mileage is to honor the TSB? They should have honored yours - did you push hard and take it up to district rep or beyond?
Usually, it's 12000 miles, 12 months, but I'd check with the dealer directly.

98 Cobra Coupe ~ Back to square one: no motor.
2006 Lotus Exige - 1.8 litres of Supercharged fury!!! SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOMONKEY
If you don't want to take my word for it, maybe you'll believe the internet.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-17-2010, 09:02 AM

if the gt 500 has a salvage title or a branded title there will be no coverage

Built 2v, 2005 wap block .020 over, forged crank, manley rods and pistons, trickflow 44cc heads, MHS 2v tf cams. CAM longtubes and off road H, magnaflow catback, bullitt intake, JLT ram air intake. Meziere water pump. 293rwhp 284rwtq sae, 4R70W
post #12 of 12 Old 09-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (48)
Garage
"Branded title"???????

Tom Moss
2010 Shelby GT500 vert with 2.9L 16 psi Whipple and rim upgrade. Rated 750HP/713TQ - 673/620 to the tire

src="/forums/images/smilies/salute.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Salute" class="inlineimg" />http://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement