electric motor swap - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-07-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
P63

Trader Feedback: (15)
electric motor swap

Daydream:
Two Focus electric drives (motor, axles, suspension) into an SN95: one replaces the rear axle, the other bolts in where the K-member goes.

I've got a 98 cobra with zero compression in one cylinder. Maybe I can build a poor-man's Tesla.

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.
May be quoted on the Corral. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.

... and the avatar is the UK band The Primitives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-07-2018, 01:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Wonder how heavy it would be with battery packs?

post #3 of 9 Old 07-07-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
P63

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialProspect View Post
Wonder how heavy it would be with battery packs?
Two electric motors and paraphernalia such as axles, control arms, etc, and lots of Lithium batteries.... probably not much more than an iron OHV V8 with transmission, driveshaft, SRA, and that constantly-draining fuel tank.

Going fast in an electric car is going to cost more than equal speed with gas, but it's like a laser versus inkjet printer; pay up front and enjoy lower operating costs versus lower entry cost followed by a life of buying fluids.

I'm really getting used to the idea of never visiting a gas station or changing oil again.

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.
May be quoted on the Corral. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-07-2018, 10:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Probably cheaper to buy a Tesla. The Focus Electric only has a 143hp and 184 ft-lb, so 2 would only be 286ish hp and 368ish ft-lb.

You could convert and stay with rear drive for reasonable costs probably. Warp9 or double Warp9 and batteries everywhere they fit.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-10-2018, 10:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Dual Siamese warp 11s. 5000RPM max with 1000ft-lbs of torque at the shaft. They're offered with an integrated powerglide. lol
post #6 of 9 Old 07-14-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
P63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm73 View Post
Probably cheaper to buy a Tesla. The Focus Electric only has a 143hp and 184 ft-lb, so 2 would only be 286ish hp and 368ish ft-lb.

You could convert and stay with rear drive for reasonable costs probably. Warp9 or double Warp9 and batteries everywhere they fit.
Some guy in town has a dual Warp 9 setup for cheap. Part of me would want to connect that directly to the differential, complete with a torque arm underneath it.

Tesla now sells motors directly. Check out EV West.

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.

post #7 of 9 Old 02-01-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
P63

Currently looking at a DC Warp9 dual motor and controller. The thing should bolt up where the T5 resides.
... then I have to get >$10k of lithium batteries and figure out how to mechanically support them.

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.

post #8 of 9 Old 02-01-2019, 12:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
You don't need the T5 with an electric motor. You just need to connect the output of the electric motor to the universal joint on the axle. You can get the dual Warp9 setup with a Turbo 400 output. Easy to hook that up.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-30-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
P63

UPDATE: Weight:
1. A flat battery pack underneath the floor wouldn't terribly affect ground clearance and it makes a car extremely predictable in turns due to a very low center of gravity. (and heck, coilovers can always give some needed ground clearance as well.)

2. Per tjm73, the tranny can be tossed, but why not basically mount the motor in front of the differential? There's no real need for the DS.

3. fwiw I like the idea of no flywheel, just a clutch, and the tranny only having 3rd and 5th gear. A DC motor runs out of torque around 3krpm, so why not throw in a gear swap by leaving the t45 in there? Also, this will deliver a VSS signal to the speedo... which is about the only thing on the dash that will be working.

4. Anybody know the dimensions of a Focus Electric front end? I wouldn't mind doing away with the mustang's k-member and shock towers, especially if it means I'd get a front suspension designed after 1975. (I have an sn95).

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement