Ford Mustang Forums banner

Cobra Brake Upgrade for sn95 cars cheap

32K views 96 replies 37 participants last post by  from6to8 
#1 · (Edited)
Cobra Brake Upgrade for 94-98 cars cheap

I don’t know if anyone has done a write-up on Cobra brake conversion for 94-98 cars. I just finished the conversion on my 1995 Gt and it can be done for about $200. Advance is the only place I could find re-man loaded calipers that come with brackets. I purchased the hoses with bolts and rotors through AcDelco. I don’t know what part stores you have locally. The only down side to buying re-man calipers is you may end up with one caliper with COBRA and one smooth, I did. On the plus side you have a lifetime warranty. Here is a break-down of the parts:

Calipers with brackets and pads (Advance Auto Parts) Part numbers: 164654 & 164655 $67.29 EA

AcDelco Brake Hoses/bolts Part numbers: 18J1182 Left & 18J1181 Right $11.49 & $12.62

AcDelco Brake Rotors Part number: 18A964 $32.00 EA

I don’t know if your area if you can find the same prices. I work in the auto field and have some good connections. As far as the swap goes it is straight forward. The caliper mounting bolts are the same. The only note I have is you have to check the clearance between the bracket and the rotor. I had to shim the right side 1/32”. The bracket rubbed the rotor on the outside. Also there is a core charge on the calipers, I returned my GT calipers in the place of the Cobra ones with no issues. I will say there is a big difference in the braking.

See less See more
#3 ·
I did a write up, it's in my sig. :)

#4 ·
I have read your write-up. It is detailed in the tools and the install. I was just trying to give people the parts numbers and where I found the cheapest prices on these parts. A Cobra upgrade for just under $200 is pretty good I thought.

#11 ·
Ah, my bad. I guess I thought you said you were trying to find an article. :)

Yeah, $200 is a hell of a price man. Excellent find!

#8 ·
Yes they are the 13" rotors and I ordered everything for a 96-98 Cobra.

#9 ·

As you can see I have one Cobra and one smooth. I have another left caliper on order to see if I get lucky and get one withthe cobra on it. Please excuse the dirty wheels.

#16 ·
They came unpainted. Yes this is front only.

#17 ·
What I really need is the rear calipers and brackets Not the axle brackets but the calipers brackets for the cobra. I guess it would be OK for the GT as you can modify them to work with the rotors just the same.

Matt

#18 ·
I will have part numbers for the rear upgrade but I can tell you the price is about $100.

#20 ·
Yes I turned my old calipers for the cores with no issue.

As far as the rear conversion it is brackets and rotors. I will have part numbers tomorrow. The vented rear rotors are $21(AcDelco) each and the brackets are $36.23(Ford). So $114 for the rear conversion. If you add pads a little more. I already had new ones.

#23 ·
what do you do in the rear if your running c-clip eliminators? will the cobra axle brackets still work just fine? will the cobra rotors work also? just trying to get everything straight before i start ordering parts. this is for a fox but im building an sn length rear. any help would be much appreciated!!
thanks
ken

#24 ·
You will have to buy aftermarket brackets for the cobra caliper/rotors that fit the ford 9" bearings. There are Co.'s out there that build these. northcobra race cars I think makes those.

http://northracecars.com/catalog/brakes/brakes.htm

Call them and ask they might have them but they don't indicate it on their site.

Matt

#29 ·
Napa does have the rotors but they are $5 more each.

JKCOBRA98 you are right you need the flange brackets also. Ford sells them for $48 each. Diskbrakerus sells them for $169 a pair, a high mark-up. THat brings the rear upgrade to $210.

#31 ·
Nope they are listed for $169 a pair. All Their prices are high. Even just the caliper brackets are more than the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.